Hepatitis C Community
Just diagnosed today- Is there a way to know how long you have had the ...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Just diagnosed today- Is there a way to know how long you have had the disease?

I have Hep-C Genotype 1b. Viral load 751899 measured in IU. or 5.88. All liver functions are within normal range. I had a blood transfusion when I was 2. I am now 43. Is it possible I have lived this long without complications? The only only way I could have contracted it would be unprotected sex. Any suggestions?  I am overwhelmed. I see my doctor in a week and can't wait that long for some answers. Thanks in advance for thoughts, advice encouragement.
Back when you had the BT may very well be when you contacted the virus.People can and do live for many years infected and not know it.
You say 'The only only way I could have contracted it would be unprotected sex.'.... Really that is the least possible way you might have got it, a very low risk there.

Not really any reason trying to figure out how you got it but what to do about it... A lot depends on how much damage you have, what genotype you are wheather now is a good time to rid yourself or wait for newer drugs that might be here in a few years........ cure rates have never been better, your still young, try not to worry to much... Welcome here and best to you.
Thanks can-do-man. If my liver function tests are good (no biopsy), then does that mean I don't have any damage to my liver?  

As for delaying, that sounds scarey and good at the same time. I am about to start a new job. I can't imagine trying to work 55 hours a week and deal with the side-effects.

And yes, I do worry to much!  
Welcome to the forum,
Yes it can be overwhelming, when first diagnosed with hep c. As can-do-man has said, it would be hard to determine when you were exposed, and transfusions before a certain date, are a risk factor. I went crazy with concern at first and will never know where I got it.

This is the best site to ask questions, as many of us are doing treatment, starting or finishing. The new treatment drugs are producing good results and there is a lot of research on interferon free regimens.

Also wishing you the best,
C
Try to shift your focus from how you acquired HCV to determing the current status of your liver's health.  The liver functions may not indicate a damaged liver.  The best way to evaluate is to have a liver biopsy done.  Hopefully you will be seeing a well qualified hepatologist to properly advise you on your options.  If you have minimal damage your doc may advise you to wait for the approval of all oral treatments.  This can be a scarey process, but many here have experience to help give you guidance and support as you go through it.  Try not to overwhelm yourself with the fear of the unknown.  Good luck to you.
Well I agree that LFT is not a good way to try and judge liver damage, as fly said a qualified hepatologist is your best bet. Depending on whether you are going to treat now or wait a biopsy might be needed to help decide that.