Hepatitis C Community
LIVER-SAFE PAIN MEDICATION?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

LIVER-SAFE PAIN MEDICATION?

RECENTLY DIAGNOSED W/ HEP C AND WAITING (5 WKS) FOR SPECIALIST APPT.  HAVING CHRONIC ACHE AND SOME PAIN. HAVING THE ACHE/PAIN IN AREA ABOUT 1-2 INCHES BELOW WAISTLINE FROM RIGHT SIDE ACROSS TO THE LEFT SIDE OF AREA BELOW WAISTLINE (ALTHOUGH MOSTLY ON RIGHT SIDE).  PAIN IS NOT USUALLY BAD BUT CONSTANT.  CALLED THE SPECIALIST TO SEE WHAT I COULD TAKE AND WAS TOLD THAT SINCE HE HAS YET TO SEE ME AS A PT. HE CANNOT TREAT THE PAIN.  THEY RECCOMENDED TYLENOL "BUT NOT EVERY DAY".  I WILL CALL MY REGULAR M.D. BUT DON'T TRUST HIM TO ORDER THE BEST FOR MY LIVER.  I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS TYPICALLY USED FOR PEOPLE WITH LIVER/PAIN PROBLEMS BEFORE I CALL MY REGULAR DR.
THANKS!!!
VICKI
I take Vicoprophen, it is processed by the kidneys.
It works very well and doesn't get me all dinged out or fuzzy headed but works well on the pain. At first one pharmacy I went to had to get some as they mostly give out Vicodin not Vicoprophen, but after the initial glitch it's been fine.

One common use is dentists give it out frequently for tooth pain.

Try not to worry too much, all the waiting on appts drives you bonkers. Maybe once you control the pain you can put it out of your mind easier while you wait.

hang in there
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
I NOW HAVE SOMETHING TO GO ON WHEN I TALK TO MY DR. AND IT SOUNDS LIKE JUST WHAT I NEED...I DON'T WANT TO FEEL FUZZY EITHER.
I agree, Tylenol is death.  Bad for the liver and in large doses it kills by destroying the liver.  Vicoprofen is perfect it has a narcotic element, hydrocodone and ibuprofen for an anti-inflammatory. If that doesn't work for you, try going one step up to oxycodone.  Do not confuse oxycodone with oxycontin, same narcotic but very different delivery method.  Five milligram oxycodone are safe and effective and come in a small enough dose that you can take an effective dose without getting groggy.  Both of the oxy drugs have no other component to foul the waters.
Dog_Lover
CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A DIFINITIVE ANSWER ON WITCH IS THE WORST TO TAKE WHEN YOU HAVE HEP C...IBUPROFEN OR ACETAMINOPHEN?
ARE THERE ANY MILD PAIN MEDS OUT THERE WITHOUT EITHER OF THE ABOVE??
THANK YOU ALL!
I'm certainly not a medical professional and I am just relaying what I have been told and read over the year or so that I have been diagnosed.  I had a friend who opted for suicide using Tylenol and in spite of heroic measures to get her a new liver she died an unpleasant death. I know you are wise enough to ignore the rantings of a pi**ed off old man who thinks Tylenol is a bigger fraud than Darvon and rely on the advice of your doctors.  My best wishes to you and I hope you thrive in a difficult situation.
Dog_Lover
Since I can't take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS), and I can't take aspirin, my doctor said it was fine to take a nightly dose of Tylenol as long as I don't mix it with other drugs, alcohol, cold medicine, etc.  Like don't take Tylenol with another liver bad type of drug and just stick to the normal dose of Tylenol at night with my shot (when I was treating).  I'm not particularly worried about the Tylenol.  If I was taking it 4 times a day and taking a Demerol tab, or drinking a Martini with it, then I'd have some concerns about it.  I can't take the NSAIDS because it causes me to have such gastric upset that I've blood tinged throw up, so, that's more dangerous for me than Tylenol.

Susan
My clinical trial center is also a major liver disease center at a large teaching hospital. At the start of the clinical trial, they dosed 1000mg Tylenol 30 minutes before the first Inf shot as a preventative measre against sides.

For moderate aches, pains, fever etc., they say use Tylenol ONLY. That's what they said. Seems to clash with the 'Tylenol is Death'idea in this thread.

I'm not arguing, just presenting the instructions given by the liver disease center.
My clinical trial center is also a major liver disease center at a large teaching hospital. At the start of the VX-950 clinical trial, they dosed 1000mg Tylenol 30 minutes before the first Inf shot as a preventative measure against sides.

I was told to use tylenol by my first hepatologist. when i told her that it did nothing for my pain, she agreed to the ibuprofen. no one can tell which one is the worse for your liver for sure, not even a dr, let alone this board.  My 2nd hepatologist mentioned that NSAIDS are more frequently associated with drug induced fulminant hepatitis than tylenol.  But if it is not going to help the pain, why use it?
perhaps you can do a web search on 'fulminant hepatitis with ibuprofen' and the same search with tylenol, and read the statistics offered and make a decission based on knowing the risks and on what works for you.
Pharmacist recommended Ibuprofen as being the easiest on the liver. However, my doc also recommended 1000 mg of Tylenol PM, particularily 1/2 hour prior to injections, as it is the best for fighting flu-like symptoms and helps sleeping (tried Ambien and it did not work at all).  When I questioned the impact to liver, I was told that as long as recommened daily dosage of 2000 mg or less is followed that there shouldn't be any problem.

Given my doc is quite experienced with HCV and head of the Transplantation Dept. at the University of Minnesota's Medical Center, I figured he must know what he's talking about.
In my opinion. Whether or to take tylenol depends on the stage of your liver. I am stage 4. So no tylenol for me. I can't take asprin or IB prophin, because they are blood thinners. And when your bloodplatelets get lows during treatment, that would be a no no. I like the idea of the one that filters through the kidneys. I will have to keep that in mind. take care.. Debi
One important aspect of these OTC pain products is the amount you take. I was told they are fine, both Tylenol and Ibuprophen ( my docs prefer ibupropen) as long as you stay under the daily mg. amount. that your doctor advises for you. I was told that is 2,000mg a day for me and I have cirrhosis.
I never use Tylenol, it doesn't work at all for me.

I take less than 600mg. a day of ibuprophen and both the doc and the pharmacist said that will not cause any problems whatsoever even with low platelets. Of course, HOW low the platelets are is an issue too.  
I think anyone who takes info. off the internet, or any source, either here or from other places should then speak to their doctors about whatever the issue is FIRST before they alter their health regimen.
GrandOak said: However, my doc also recommended 1000 mg of Tylenol PM, particularily 1/2 hour prior to injections, as it is the best for fighting flu-like symptoms and helps sleeping (tried Ambien and it did not work at all). When I questioned the impact to liver, I was told that as long as recommened daily dosage of 2000 mg or less is followed that there shouldn't be any problem.

That is precisely what I was told. Stay under the 2000mg limit/24hrs and all will be well.
I should possibly add that I'm stage 4 with early onset of cirrhosis with platelet counts half or third of normal.

The only caution I got beyond the recommended dail dosage limit was mixing Tylenol with other Acetometaphines and/or NSAIDS.  I was told low dosage of Ibuprofen was OK as long is it was outside of the coverage period for the dosage of Tylenol I was taking.

I've found the Ibuprofen works better for headaches and muscle pains than Tylenol for me, but none seem to help when headaches appear to be caused by anemic condition.

Given my doctors credentials in the hepatology and transplantation fields, I feel quite safe following his recommendations.
Thanks for the info. I was wonderong about pain IB prophin. I just assumed the was a blood thinner. My platelets are down to 49 now. Doctor is trying to cut the peg in half. But the are rethinking it and will let me know today. Talk to you later, Debi
Ihave had hepc for 10 years..Ihave severe pain pain everyday because of severe arthritist everywhere and fibromyalgia. My doctor has been giving me percocets 6 a day for the last 20 years. I just found out that tylenol is in percocet and it is not that great for the liver.I would like to find an alternative medication to take for the pain. thank you
i have tried everything and the best and safest i found was oxycodone15mg works almost allday long four me
what is the pain your having on your left and right sides cuase i have the same thing and im concernd i also have hep c
i am 18 and i just founf out i have hcv.... im so scarred and i cant afford my medication. the pain i feel is constant and i dont know what to take im ellergic to NSAIDS.  i was told to take this vicodin. but my infectious doc. told me no tylonal and i have no family doc what do i do?
Hi Mia,

This is an old thread; you might want to start a new one by going to the top of the page, and clicking on the green ‘post a question’ button. Your thoughts will get lost down here. If you can’t afford the Hep C meds, the manufacturers might be able to help with their patient assistance programs; if you need the number I can get it to you.

Welcome to the discussion group—

Bill
Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding, you do know that your liver is high on the right side of your abdomen, up towards (and maybe even partially behind) the rib cage. So, below the waistline is def not a "painful liver".

I'm probably reading your post wrong though. Just wanted to clarify.
Hi kid...

Sorry you have caught Hep C...I caught it back when i was your age too. I'm 49 now and still OK. I have never taken the treatment...tho my Dr says it would be a good idea to do it.

I just get tired sometimes and am more susceptible to catching weird illnesses that other people can fight off.

My Dr (who is a leading infectious disease specialist where I live) said chances are I will die an old lady from natural causes and not likely Hep C.

That treatment is insanely expensive...check with your local Medicaid office and see if they will cover you for it. Check with Social Services. Ask your Dr. Office for ideas. My Dr was able to get the pharmaceutical company to treat me for free...so he wants me to do it. Medicaid will also pay for it in the state I live.

As for the pain...I only have bad pain if I drink alcohol...so I dont do that anymore obviously. I get occaisional nagging pain but I dont use anything for it. My Dr. said I can use Tylenol for pain tho...just dont exceed reccomended daily adult dosage.

I know it's scary...I was very afraid when I found out I had Hep C...but it is such a long-term disease that you eventually dont think about it much...long as you dont feel too ill from it.

Try to get that treatment if you can tho...you probably have a good chance at curing it. my Dr. says I have a 50/50 chance...as i apparently have the version that is hardest to treat.

I feel so bad for you     cuz I know you must be so afraid. It is not a death sentence for most people. Really...Pamela Anderson has it...I know she's not a great role model...but she's like my age and is on 'Dancing with the Stars" and leads a pretty nice life...it's something alot of us can live with. Just listen to your Dr.

Hugs to you kid....stay safe...I'm not an expert...but I have lived with hep C for 30 years and am still alive and doing OK....so I will talk with you about it if you want  :)
30% of people with HepC has fibromyalgia.found in a recent new study.This condition is very painful.Also many will have a positive RA factor (arthritis) and some develope cryglobulimnia...all can cause pain attack your muscles/nerves,tendons/ligaments,joints it's all very dibilitating. Make the most of life and think quality, some docs use trileptal, nerontin, which are anti seizure meds but off label used for nerve pain. It ***** big time but can be dealable. NO ALCOHOL,NO RECREATIONAL DRUGS!!!!!!! I have seen many heppers go fast this way. DIET,EXERCISE,WATER,POSITVE THINKING,PRAYING,MEDITATION,PATIENCE<KEEP GOING!!! LIVE n be thankful u r alive!
I was diagnosed w/Hep C 10yrs. ago. I also have esophageal varices. I live in the Bradenton/Sarasota Fla. area. I can't seem to find a Dr. to treat me. I receive SSI,& SSD. I've called around & was told that if I didn't also have AIDS that they could not treat me! I'm in the begining of cirrous too. I've had 7 blood transfusion all in a 7month span after being diognosed. I'm in alot of constant pain but, the Drs.that I have seen say because of the Hep-C they don't want to prescibe anything! I feel like there is no hope for me and I am going to die a slow painful death. Does anyone know what I can do?
I have just been diagnosed with Hep C as well as interstitial cystitis of the bladder which is known as painful bladder syndrome. Because of the hep c was told not to take any Tylenol or ibuprofen, so can anyone suggest any solution for me? I'm in constand severe pain.
if your talking about minor ache and pains,that you would want to take tylenole for ,try takeing ginger root cut a couple of pieces of and boil in water a couple min to make a tea ,,you'll need to sweetin it a little w/ hunny or watever u like to use for sweetener and drink up I SWEAR BY THIS! IT really works for most minor pains !! I haven't used tylenole or anything like it in a few yrs now gingerroot is a natural pain reliever and i believe its good for your liver as well
                              -julie
that last thread was ment for you ,,sorry just tired ,but if  you try the gingeroot i hope you get some relief
           -julie:)
Hi Julie,

I see Missy also started her own thread here and got some great responses:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/pain-help/show/1332382

It usually works better to start a new thread than bring up an old one.

You may want to add your comment to her new thread.

I am a pharmacist, and would suggest staying away from both ibuprofen and acetaminophen (Tylenol) if you have hepatitis.  Unfortunately, the only way to treat the pain in a hepatic patient is to use narcotics which are eliminated from the body by the kidneys.  Im opinion, the literature points more toward mild doses of ibuprofen being better tolerated than Tylenol in hepatitis, so a good option to discuss with your physician is hydrocodone/ibuprofen (Vicopofen).  Keeping the dose low and the interval to no more than 3 times a day will help with the pain while still keeping you from experiencing too many sedating side effects.  Mild doses of Vicoprofen are also minimally habit-forming.  Be sure to take it with food if you get a prescription for it.  I hope this information helps!

Alex, Pharm.D.
Acetaphetamine (no more than 2000 mg in 24 hrs) is recommended by most hepatologists.  Those with cirrhosis are can also take acetaphetamine but should consult with their doctor for the recommended dosage.  I have advanced liver disease and I don't know what you mean by hepatic pain.  I've never experienced that.  The liver has no nerves.
The capsule surrounding the liver can expand if the liver enlarges producing intermittent pain at times but those with liver disease do not experience pain for the most part.

Trinity
Jorge L. Herrera M.D.
Division of Gastroenterology
University of South Alabama College of Medicine
Mobile AL

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hcsp/articles/Herrera.html

“Acetaminophen use: Contrary to popular belief, acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol®) is perfectly safe for patients with cirrhosis as long as it is used cautiously. Any person who drinks alcohol regularly should not consume any acetaminophen. For patients with early cirrhosis (CPT class A or B), the use of acetaminophen is safe as long as the recommended dose is not exceeded (1,000 mg per dose, repeated no more often than every 6 hours). Patients with more advanced cirrhosis should take only ½ of the recommended dose. In fact, for patients with cirrhosis, acetaminophen, when used as described, is the preferred medication for the treatment of pain.”
"I am a pharmacist, and would suggest staying away from both ibuprofen and acetaminophen (Tylenol) if you have hepatitis.  ... Im opinion, the literature points more toward mild doses of ibuprofen being better tolerated than Tylenol in hepatitis "

My doc and case nurse are firm about avoiding ibuprofen, but they say that even a damaged liver can metabolize 3 grams/per day acetaminophen.  They limit the dose to 2 grams, however, for those us in the program.  I take it for bone pain from Neupogen and for the slight leg cramps from the INF.  
" I take it for bone pain from Neupogen and for the slight leg cramps from the INF."

I took it for the pain from Neupogen as well.  72 weeks to be exact.  Hmm, wonder how my liver damage managed to regress a stage with all that Tylenol?  :)

Trinity
So much conflicting advice.  My doc told me...lol. Ibuprofen was fine to take, as long as it isn't over 800 mg a day.  The guy is the head of one of the largest liver transplant centers in the country, and has published over 300 papers on liver issues.  I'll have to take his word for it.
I think some of this is contingent upon degree of fibrosis; as patients become cirrhotic, platelets can drop precipitously, and blood clots poorly. Aspirin and ibuprofen can exacerbate that; you’re doctor likely advised you based on your personal history?

--Bill
Good point it may not be the advice he gives to everyone.

I've been of meds now for two weeks tomorrow, and like you experienced feeling much better at two weeks.  Good call.
What a difference a couple of weeks makes, huh? After both treatments I had lab orders at thirty days post; everything had normalized at that point; red cells, white cells, platelets, etc. The first time, the only thing that was off was viral load, which unfortunately had returned. Hopefully you won’t share that experience with me :o).

Good luck, James—

-Bill
here's what I know to be true, a pharmacist has 6 years of training in drug reactions and interactions, a physician has 1 year only.

One vs. 6...hmmm... who should we listen to...my vote is a pharmacist!!!

Also the verdicts are clear one that one has to look at the whole patient profile.
Toxicity is common with tylenol, even in children, certainly in sick livers, and unless one was early stage and no conflicks with ones P450 profile....but then only a good pharmacist even knows about that stuff...even though more stuff comes out every year at the AASLD doctors still resist converting from their tylenol brainwashings, as do patients.

ibuprofen and anti-inflammatories can lead to thinning of the stomach wall, and contribute to esophageal varicies as well as increased internal liver blood pressure. Since a sick liver can have pressures several times above normal why  go there, why make that worse.

We are better off to use narcotics, only because they do the most good with the least amount of enyzme elevation. Tramadol raises enyzmes as do many "alternatives" to true opiods. However, opiods are safer, and docs will prescribe them as long as the patient doesn't abuse them.

BTW, Right quadrant pain is very common in latter stage liver disease, not because the liver itself is in pain, but the inflammation caused by sepage (seepage) and enlargment leave many with serious side pain.
i was just diagnosed for hep c i am very scared...dont know what to think what to do..im 38 years old got it through sexual intercourse..im in alot of pain few inches below my back around to left and right side abdomen area waiting on dr. appt.. tylenol made me sick  ive took a pain killer from time to time im not much for them...im also a high blood pressure high cholesterol patient and bad anxiety...got lied to *****..ive read all your guys advice and it made me feel better..what really is good to take for the pain and how do you live with it...im a single mother now was engaged and he was the one i got it from...not my ex husbands...he cares but yet doesnt seem to think its a big deal he has had it for a long time and never been treated. he didnt tell me till after we had intercourse and i freaked he said i couldnt get it through sex my doctor said yes you can was tested and positive and only been with the guy a year. from down sad and depressed:(

Hi there ....It would be better if you have a question to go to the  green " post a question " area at the top  and start your own thread there,more people will see it that way and respond.

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis ...however ,first of all are you sure you have active Hepc? Was the test they did just for the antibodies (in which case you may or may not have active infection ) or did they do a PCR test to definitely test for Hepc.

Also ..if you do have Hepc ..it is for the most part a very slow moving disease that usually takes many years and often decades to do any damage.. and for the most part there is usually no symptoms and very rarely is pain one of those symptoms

So..for now you need to find out what blood test they ran to  ascertain if you have HCV and   if so  ... then be referred to a hepatologist or a gastroenterologist to  do some further tests..(ie genotype and possibly a biopsy)

The new treatment avail. today is in the vicinity of 75% successful..., and in the meantime  a good idea to read up on HCV...   link below.

Good luck ..and welcome
Will

.http://www.hivhepsti.info/documents/HCVnewlydiag.pdf
I've read all the comments here & want to say thank you!! I woke up at 4:00 am with severe liver pain... it really helped to read everyones stories...
The liver must have adequate reserves of glutathione to detoxify Tylenol/acetaminophen. The safe level of Tylenol is specific to each individual--ie, one that does not exceed one's reserves of glutathione. (Glutathione is the "antidote" used in E.R.s when one takes an overdose of acetaminophen.)  One can take glutathione, but it doesn't absorb well.  The precursors to making glutathione are n-acetyl cysteine, glycine, and glutamic acid (these are amino acids--the building blocks of protein).  Usually n-acetyl cysteine is the limiting factor, so all three are not necessary.  Interestingly, one's glutathione levels are one of the most reliable predictors of longevity.  Generally, a good quality UNDENATURED whey protein will provide the necessary amino acids to make glutathione.  My patients use Standard Process "Whey Pro Complete", but there are others available.  A more expensive, but effective product is Immunocal.  I also met a woman whose Hep C is now undetectable after taking glyconutrients from Mannatech (an MLM).  Same type of glyconutrient product (less expensive, and I'm told just as good) is sold as MPS Gold from Dr. David Wheeler's site. Glycoproteins are normal components of cell membranes that are involved in proper cell-to-cell communication.  This has obvious implications, including immune function, detoxification, and many other cell functions.  They are essential to health, but are especially crucial to those who have compromised health.  I would also use Lauricidin, which selectively inhibits pathogenic bacteria, fungi, and viruses.  One must begin with just a few pellets and can then increase gradually to several mini-scoops per day. The great thing about these options is that they promote a healthy immune system and healthy function of cells in general--and without negative side effects or interference with drugs.   Everything I have mentioned is also available without prescription.
IVE FOUND THAT TAKING 15MG OF OXYCODONE HCL WHICH DOESNT HAVE ANY ASPIRIN, ACETAMINOPHEN, OR IBUPROFEN(NSAIDS) JUST 15MGS OF PERCOCET(OXYCODONE) TWICE PER DAY DOESNT AFFECT THE LIVER IN PATIENTS WITH CHIRROSIS (cirrhosis) OF THE LIVER, LIVER CANCER, AND/OR HCV AND ALSO KILLS THE PAIN TO THE POINT OF MANAGABILITY TO WHERE YOU MAY CONTINUE AS YOU WOULD NORMALLY HAD YOU NOT BEEN IN PAIN IN THE FIRST PLACE! GOOD LUCK AND MAY GOD IN HEAVEN BLESS US ALL!
I have Hep c 1a and fibromyalga (fibromyalgia) and it's making me crazy. I have to work, my Dr. has me on vicodin  and 30mils of methadone a day. It's been 7yrs. on the same meds. they are not working anymore. He wants me to go on treatment. Can't, no support, no emotional support, no insurance. I need to change meds somehow because I have to work. The liver Dr. says she would have put me on a patch antook me off the other meds along time a go.  But I'd have to go on treatment. Now they have a new pain med contract. They call me out of nowhere, urine test me ,and count my pills. I feel like a pill head because they make u feel like crap when u use them. Why give to me then. If u don't want me to take them? Any ideas?
Teri: I heard gabapentin (Neurontin, Gabarone) or a similar neurological drug can be effective against fibromyalga (fibromyalgia). You may want to discuss that potential (partial) solution with your doctor. Gabapentin is not metabolized by the liver.
I have ciroshios of liver and a new desease I acuired due to it.Pulminary hpypertension.My Meld score is above 20 Lung docs put me on a med that causes extreme migraines.I have told them over and over but in order to get on transplant list they must fix hyper tension.I would like something for pain
I am in my first week of Pegasys Ribarvirin and have been taking 500 mg of tylenol twice a day for the first three days after the injection. It hasn't worked that well so asked and got Vicodan for the next injection. I haven't taken any yet and want to get through this 6 month treatment in reasonable shape and potentially without the virus. Wondering if there may be any bad effects associated with changing out Vicodan (unused) which has Acetaminophen (Tylenol) for Oxycodone HCL which doesn't ?
You might want to be careful with narcotics. It is easy to become addicted and then you have another problem.
Call Dr. Schiff at Jackson Memorial in Miami for a referral. He is a world renown Hepatologist (liver transplant dept) @ 305-243-5787 and has had many doctors preform their fellowship under him. I was treated by Dr. Prosopolus in Orlando. Hope this helps. Also ask for Kay to call a doctor in your area to get you in ASAP.
I HAVE HAD HEP C DIOGNOSED 10 TEARS BACK TYPE ONE. CANT TAKE IBUPROFIN OR TYLONAL. BAD ALERGIC (allergic) REACTION. JUST FINISHED TREATMENT WITH INCIFIC. IT WORKED TO KILL THE VIRUS BUT IS WAS NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO GO THE DISTANCE. BRAIN IS ALL FOGGED UP LAXITIVE HELPS WITH THIS.CAN ONLY TATHE LAXITIVE AT NIGHT OR I CANT LEAVE THE HOUSE " toilet" Every now and then pain is so bad i cant walk or move. Just spent 4 days in mortal pain. now it's gone again.never know where or when the pain will come back. Going off the deep end. I hate this virus. all i can do now is hope i live long enough for the next new treatment to come out. The old one's will kill me sooner. and not in a fast or good way. Joseph
I have had hep c for 30+ yrs. Genotype 1A.  This is my 3rd attempt at interferon. This time with ribovarin and victrelis (sp?) in 3 weeks. Since I started almost two  weeks ago, I have experienced the worst pain I have ever had. No comparison to the previous treatments or biopsies. Back, should nerve/joint & muscle pain. Burning, throbbing and searing.  Sometimes it radiates down my spine mostly up into a migraine. I work and have to read and write! No can do like this!

I cannot live with this pain, so I'm either going off the meds, or getting pain relief. Your story scared me a lot! Can you try steroid shots to block nerve pain?  I sure as hell will, if I go through what you are going through!  I'm stage 2-3. Brain fog is due either to meds or new Hep C stage...

dz
Fameartist posted here once, the post you read.
We know nothing of this person's history, whether they already have cirrhosis or other physical ailments.
Without knowing more about this person's health it's know what exactly is their problems.
And sadly, there are random people who make up posts for whatever odd reason.
I'm not saying this is fameartist's situation, we just don't really know.

Some people cannot work during tx. Have you spoken to your doctor ? Are you being seen by a good hepatologist experienced with hep C treatment?
You should be. They can help you with the side effects of treatment.

I'd encourage you to being your own post if you'd like more help.
he[c was found in me in 2009, then a doc said I didn't have it.  I can't to do the 48 week program and shots they mentioned.  Any help u could give me, I could greatly use.

Thank,
April
I can't believe a Dr said to use Tylenol!My deceased husband was on list in PA for a liver transplant and they said it was the leading cause of liver disease.and main reason people are on transplant list.The general public think alcohol and hep c is the leading cause of transplants on the liver and it's tylenol!
Vicodin ES(that of course has loads of Tylenol)was given... for months, to my husband, for major herniated discs and nerve damage.This is what helped to bring him to  end stage liver disease!Please, anyone reading this, who has help C...DON"T take tylenol! If you don't have liver disease and just the hep c virus, tylenol can push a person right into the next stage!My husband was on the transplant list at the University of PA and we learned so much! AS the top surgeon explained to us, the newest research and findings, which are not yet published in the present Doctors manual , but will be; after the amount of years have gone by in which the FDA insists on waiting on, before things are approved and made public knowledge..My husband unfortunately didn't make it....and many others won't make it going by the 'old rules" on hep c , tylenol and any kind of opiate medications. It was always thought to take liver disease patients off of pain meds.Now they found it esscalates the disease, and I am proof as I asked my doc to wean me off of oxicontin which i was taking for chronic pain, tears , herniated discs etc...my viral load shot up from 800,000 to 1,400,000.I cold not understand why i felt sicker and sicker after the withdrawal was long gone and over with...Blood work was done and instead of getting healthier like i figured i should by NOT putting opiates in my system anymore, the Hep C got worse...Symptoms were off the roof with me...Fatigue so bad, I could no longer drive.I could not work!Nor clean my house...my double zero jeans were falling off of me and none of my belts fit!Here I was off of drugs of any kind... taking herbs and vitimans. and anyone who knew me wondered if I was messed up on something, or worried I was dying) as I never let my home get the way it was, or laundry build up.and I always loved to gpo places and drive my car!
Please consider no tylenol in your system.NOT worth what could happen!My youngest child is left with a very sick mom and no dad...There is so much research that needs to come out asap, but this is the world...They go by the book.Doesn't matter that our loved one's are dying.Check into research of withdrawal of opiates in a hep c patients.Google it and you will find out more...
Were you also checked for hemochromatosis at all? I know that pain in muscles and joints is a side of hep c...my husband has had it for 30 years or so, just found out and will find out today results of liver biopsy...but also found out he had hereditary hemochromatosis, an iron loading disorder that causes arthritis, liver cirrhosis, heart failure, etc, etc. It is the most common genetic disorder rarely diagnosed by medical community. Predominantly found in Celtic/Irish/Scottish/Northern European backgrounds. 1 in 9 people are carriers, in in 200 -300 people will develop hemochromatosis. (HHC) Worth looking into as you also have hep C. Cheers, and best wishes
My husband is a 23-year liver transplant patient with hepc and arthritis. He has a lot of pain all the time and I'm no longer sure what to give him. His primary prescribed Tramadol, which does nothing. The pharmacist said he could take Ibuprofen not Tylenol. But from reading the comments above, I'm not sure which is safest.
You would do best with an extended release medication such as opana...This was discussed with the doctors on the transplant team when my husband was on transplant   list .They told him not to go off the medication either, as it could make the virus worse.Thet told us anyone wth hep c should not change any thing with their meds and many Dr's don't know this and they take the person off meds., causing the viral load to jump higher and virus to become very active.I not knowing this, I went off my medication( weaning off thinking I am helping better my disease!...my viral)Instead my viral load jumped up to 1,400.000 from 850,000! I could not understand why I was getting sicker, rather then better.Just know there is a misconception that liver patients are not to have medication.Transplant unit in PA says just" no tylenol !) and the purest medications possible.which is usually the medications most docs do not want to put a person on.!
Both should not be taken. I went through all experimental interferons and peg intron worked. I have tested neg to hep c for over ten yrs. I still do not take over the counter pain meds. On rare rare occasions I will take a goody powder. But very rarely.
***@**** hep c free
Pain medications , no matter what  the cause of the pain,  such as Tylenol or ibuprofen are all bad for the liver. Opiates are not bad for the liver.It's baffling. Many methadone treated patients have Hep-c . Methadone is not harmful to the liver, and serves as a good ,yet addictive , pain killer.

YOU R SO RITE...I ALWAYS CONTACT MY PHARMACY FOR ANY MEDICATIONS...DEM DRS. DONT REALLY KNOW TOO MUCH WHEN IT COMES TO MEDS..JUST WRITE A PRESCRIPTION N  U IF U HAVE TROUBLES...COME BACK AND SEE ME...
I was diagnosed with Hep C about 10 years ago.  Was told I have liver damage from it that took 20 years in the making.  At the time of my diagnosis, I felt fine - thought they were all a bunch of quacks.  Well, afterr being hospitalized like 1/2 dozen times, put in a 2-week coma. I've come out the other end, not great, but still kicking.  I'm supposedly to 'fragile' to undergo treatment for Hep C.  As a result, I now have severe Rheum Arthritis.  Don't let anyone tell you different, Advil, Tylenol or any NSAID is damaging to your liver.  Since in the beginning I kept taking Advil cuz it works great for me, I was put on Nexium to prevent stomach ulcers.  But my doctor, who I trust with my life (& believe me I don't trust doctors) goes ballastic if he hears I'm taking Advil so I've stopped..  You've got a tough road ahead.  If there's anyway you can be treated for Hep C - do it.  I know people who have and are perfectly healthy now while I'm waiting for the next catastrophe.
I live in Sarasota area and have hep c strand 1a worst to treat, did a year of there what they call chemo for a year and I am a non-responder I have lots of pain just found out after complaining for 4 years my knee hurts that basicly I have no cushion left between the bones, and bone spurs, 4 buldging dics in my back and neuropathy. I suffer everday there are meds to help I am on transplant list afraid to get my hopes up. they told e 90%chance chemo Anitiferon, riboveron would work spent a year in bed very sick and NO DID not work. I heard it does work for many try looking for clinical trials just goggle Clinical Trials for hep c and if you get into a study they pay for all meds!! I am still in pain x 10 and use fentanyl patches oxycodone 10 mg for breakthrough none have asprin or Tylenol. I am not completely out of pain but feel a whole lot better take Xanax 0.5 up to 3 a day for stress it is awful to not be able to get out of bed 9 out of 10 days from being in so much pain. look uo Bach and Godofsky infectious disease Doctors for liver treatment in Bradenton. THEY WONT GIVE YOU ANYTHING FOR PAIN, you will need your Primary or pain management good luck
I have just been diagnosed with fatty liver disease. Mild discomfort...could not call it pain. Is this where some of you started?  Am I in denial to think my problems will not escalate?  What shoud I do now?
have had hep-c since 87 been in  pain the last 5 to 7 years tried a lot of pain meds was on oxycodone 6-8 times a day morphine and to the point of pain management wanting a pump put in me.  dose anyone no of anything that could help don't want the pump but tired of pain .... going crazy!!!
There is a vicodin with a lower amount of tylenol in it. It's called Norco and the generic med is not expensive. Only has 325 mg tylenol which is normally considered safe. Good luck.
The medical community has apparently become increasingly aware of the dangers of excessive Tylenol [acetaminophen], because the drug makers are scaling back the quantities.  Most - perhaps all - of the "combination" RX med pills now contain only 325 mg...reduced from the previous level of 500 mg.  You correctly identified Norco as a product that did "lead the way" in this trend....but others are following suit. I noticed recently that Vicodin has been reduced to 325 as well.  If in doubt you can always discuss this with your doctor or pharmacist -
I have Hep C along with cirrhosis and just had surgery.  Taking 10 mg. Hydrocodone and Dilantin.  Is Dilantin dangerous for the liver?  Please let me know the details.

You have added a comment on a thread originally started in 2006 and addressed to Bill who hasn't posted since 2012.

The best way to get your question noticed and the attention it deserves try posting a new question. To do this go to the top right of the page and click on the orange button "Post a Question". Then more people will see your question so you can get your question answered.

Good luck
Lynn