Large Liver Cyst. Do I need worry?
After an Ultrasound scan 2 years ago, I was found to have a large cyst on the liver.  I am 73 years old.  It really didn't bother me until I had another scan just recently.  The size of the cyst 2 years ago was 6cm x 5cm and this time it grew to 7cm by 7.5cm.  It still does not bother me, except only when I ate or drank (not alcohol) too much, I vaguely feel some pressure.
Do I need to worry?  What should I do?
I don't thnk you would have posted your question unless you are worried about your growing cyst. Right? Unfortunately there are no doctors on this forum to answer medical questions such as yours. You should ask your gastroentrologist and have he/she refer you to a liver desease specialist to discus your options on how to best remove the cyst or halt its progression. At your age sugery could become a major risk.

Good luck to you.
Do you also have Hepatitis C?  Most of the people on these boards are here due to Hep C.  I suppose that your doctor would be the one to ask about the significance of the liver cyst.  You might try the search engines on the web and see if there's more information for you on liver cysts.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Susan
what is the dr telling you to do? it's not cancer right??? i surely hope it's not cancer...it could be a hemangeomma (sp)...i heard people get these on there livers with out too many problems...

but gosh if i were you i would go to a "hepatologist" and follow his advice and perhaps even get a second opinion to make yourself feel more comfortable...

(i hope they have also checked you for other liver problems too...like hep a, b, c...)

what do your liver enzyme numbers look like? your alt and ast, bilirubin etc...what does the rest of your liver look like? is it causing you any liver function problems?  have you had a biopsy? do you have any other liver damage other than a cyst? is the cyst growing into any important liver structures? i'm not a dr but i'm thinking, is it growing into the veins, bile ducts, or anything dangerous? how big is too big??? can he remove it...or should he???

i would ask these to the dr.
I have had a cyst for 20 years and they said its nothing. I just had a liver/spleen scan last month and its still nothing, I did show a slight increase in bone marrow uptake and I have had pneumonia three times scence Jan of this year and they dont know why! I have
SVT of the heart and AVMs of the GI track, None of which has been bothering me for a while. Last week my SVT did rear its nasty head and I just got out of the hospital Sun.
from it but its been a good three months or more.They say the increased bone marrow
uptake is normal not to worry , but I am not so sure about that ,it dosnt sound so normal to me, I had a Aunt that died with lukemia and fought it for years before she died, so it is in my family. Do you think I should be worried about this uptake form the liver/spleen scan? Please let me know if you would! Thanks for listening!

sistermtt

hi  for the past four days i have been hurting in my stoumach and the pain goes to my right side. i went to the dr and they said it was my gaulbladder.so they did a ct scan and said that my liver was inlarge what should i do . is this something i need to br worried about. and then they found i had michif vale prolapes and the left side of my heart was inlarged also .
Hi Rick- It sounds as though you have multiple issues, and yes, they all need to be addressed. Ask for a referral to a GI doctor for the liver and gall bladder; and you might want to speak with a cardiologist for the possible heart failure.

Bill
I have what was first called a cyst... now they are calling it an hemangioma. I'm not up to metric measurements... but they told me it was about the size of an egg. I've known about it since 2000. It is right at the base of my ribs on my right side, and sometimes I can feel it pressing on my ribs, but it isn't bad. It hasn't grown since they found it. I was told sometimes they grow, but mostly they just stay the same and not to worry.

Diane
Sorry...... I just noticed the date on this thread........My bad