Hepatitis C Community
Leg cramps

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Leg cramps

I've just compleated tx for HCV and during the tx and after the tx I'm finding my legs cramping to the point of not being able to sleep. It's even in my back. Any advice, or is anyone else having this problem. thanks
Eat bananas. They have potassium which is *thought* to reduce muscle cramps. I'm not a doctor, but I noticed a cramp or 2 from skiing when I stopped eating my morning and afternoon bananas. If my memory serves me well, science is not sure what to do about muscle cramps. I may be way off here, but stretching ala Yoga, dancers stretches, and eating a banana or 2 has helped me. Since I only get them in my calves(and very rarely) I'm not sure if my advice will help, but I grab the cramped muscle with both hands and squeeze the heck out of it. Don't ask me why it works. I think it has to do with not letting it contract or fill will fluid.

I would think bananas and streches would be a good start.

Please remember that I am not a doctor, have no medical education. Check with your doctor first.
I used heating pads & Quinine that I got from a script from Dr.They normally give this for malaria.
The only thing i found that worked for leg cramps was eating a tablespoon of yellow mustard when they started. Try it if you are not sodium restricted.
I also notice that I get those leg cramps (god they HURT!) when I am dehydrated in any manner.  I've always heard that you should take potassiuim from bannanas too - my advice would be to try some gatorade type vitamin drink that way you can get the potassium and the hydration at the same time.

Good luck. I hate them so much!  I'm 15 months post and don't get them often anymore but boy oh boy I hate having to jump out of bed in the middle of the night to stretch my leg out and get them to stop.
Talk to your doc about this.  How is your hemaglobin?  Anemia will also cause leg cramps and RLS due to lack of oxygen in the muscle tissue.

Mouse
Early in tx I had bad cramps in my legs and especially in my feet.  It was a combination of very low hemoglobin and insufficient hydration.  Have a CBC done and see if you're anemic.  Drink the gatorade and lots of water, eat your bananas and get yourself a heating pad, it helps.

jd
I read skins from baked potato have much more than banana