Hepatitis C Community
Lemon juice recommended if suffering from Hepatitis C

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Is Lemon Juice recommended if suffering from Hep C?
only in iced tea :-)

Seriously lemon juice is said to cleanse the liver but will have no effect on Hepatitis C.

There are other supplements they can help the liver but not cure Hepatitis (see list below)

a multi vitamin/no iron

1000 mg of Salmon Oil (epa=160 mg / dha=240 mg / omega 3 = 400 mg) x1

1000 mg of Flaxseed Oil (ALA/omega 3 450 mg / omega 9 110 mg) x1
Raw flaxseed/ 1 teaspoon daily

Hepatapro PPC (900 mg) x 2
info:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/346752  ;

Resveratrol (500 mg) x1  and x2 (alternate every other day)
info:   http://www.lef.org/resveratrol/
source:   http://megaresveratrol.com/

NAC--(n-acetyl-l-cysteine) A sulfur compound that is a precursor of glutathione and protected sulfur-containing amino acid  (600 mg) x2 with Vit C (500 mg) x2
Info:   http://tinyurl.com/9yopf

TMG (750 mg) x 2
http://www.raysahelian.com/trimethylglycine.html

Taurine (500 mg) x 2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine

Life Extension Super Curcumin W/Bioperine 800Mg 60 Caps (800 mg) x 2  / Powerful Antioxidant Properties to scavenge free radicals
Anti-Inflammatory Actions
Enhances important detoxification enzymes Curcumin increases the secretion of bile by stimulating the bile duct. It also protects the liver by detoxification, stimulating the gall bladder and scavenging free radicals. With the help of the adrenal glands, it inhibits both platelet aggregation and the enzymes which induce inflammatory prostaglandins. Curcumin may also help break down fats and reduce cholesterol. Large doses not recommended in cases of acute bilious colic, obstructive jaundice, painful gallstones, and extremely toxic liver disorders

Sylmarin (425 mg) x 2 / Milk thistle provides hepatocellular protection by stabilizing hepatic cell membranes.

Green Tea Extract (300 mg) x 2 /
info:  http://tinyurl.com/ypdp9q

Coq10 (200 mg) x 1 / http://tinyurl.com/29em8c

Lemons while on TX drugs should be avoided.
Please elaborate. I have been adding lemon slices to my water. It seems to quench my thirst better. Should I stop?
lemons will not affect treatment. The only citrus that should be avoided when taking  meds is grapefruit.
Ive read that lemons and limes are similar to grapefruit in its reaction to certain medications...i am trying to dig it out from google again....lemons do clean the blood and the liver very well...im a big lemon drinker,before i started TX...im tring to find the site again about the lemons and the TX drugs
I've never seen any prohibition against lemons or limes, but I did see that grapefruit was a no-no on treatment.  One of the great things about finishing was being able to have grapefruit juice again.
I found some info...BTW...when i post something,,,trust me when i say ive read up on it,,this is not the same site as i was at before and that site was a hep site

It is highly possible that lemons and limes could be related to the pummelo and could cause the same type of food-drug interactions.2 Currently, more research is being conducted to determine if any of the other sour citrus fruits can interact with medicines.

http://www.consumer-health.com/services/cons_take14.htm
What is so special about grapefruits and the Seville oranges to make it possible for them to interact with medicines? The skin of the Seville orange and grapefruit contain compounds called furanocoumarins. When these fruits are squeezed under high pressures to make juice, the furanocoumarins are forced from the peel into the juice. These furanocoumarins can then prevent natural enzymes in your body called cytochrome P450 (or CYP450) from working correctly.2 The CYP450 enzymes are needed to break down certain medicines so that your body can get rid of them. When these enzymes are not able to work properly, certain drugs could build up to dangerous levels within your body and can cause many dangerous side effects.

Is it true that there are some other meds that should not be taken with grapefruit?
The following drugs are affected by CYP3A4 inhibition with grapefruit compounds:

The benzodiazepines triazolam, midazolam, alprazolam and quazepam[2]
Ritonavir inhibits CYP3A4 preventing the metabolism of protease inhibitors[3]
Additional drugs found to be affected by grapefruit juice include, but are not limited to:

Statins such as atorvastatin, lovastatin, and simvastatin with the exception of Pravastatin which is unaffected. [4][5]
Dihydropyridines including felodipine (Plendil), nicardipine (Cardene), difedipine, nisoldipine (Sular), nitrendipine (Bayotensin)[4]
losartan (Cozaar)[4]
The Cough Suppressant dextromethorphan
repaglinide (Prandin)[4]
verapamil (Calan SR, Covera HS, Isoptin SR, Verelan)[4]
Antiarrhythmics including amiodarone (Cordarone), quinidine (Quinidex, Cardioquin, Quinora), disopyramine (Norpace), propafenone (Rhythmol), and carvedilol[4]
Antihistaminic terfenadine
Cisapride which treat GERD
The male impotence drugs sildenafil (Viagra), tadalafil (Cialis), and vardenafil (Levitra)[4][6]
The anti-migraine drugs ergotamine (Cafergot, Ergomar) and nimodipine (Nimotop)[4]
Fluvoxamine (Luvox, Faverin, Fevarin and Dumyrox)[7]
Codeine and Tramadol. [8] It reduces the amount of codeine converted by CYP3A4 into norcodeine thus increasing the amount metabolised into morphine.[citation needed]
cyclosporine. Blood levels of cyclosporine are increased if taken with grapefruit juice. A plausible mechanism involves the combined inhibition of enteric CYP3A4 and P-glycoprotein, which potentially leads to serious adverse events (eg, nephrotoxicity).[9]
Omeprazole
Zolpidem (Ambien) Reports indicated users being only mildly effected. [10]
oxycodone[citation needed]
Quetiapine (Seroquel, Ketipinor)[citation needed]
methadone Inhibits the metabolism of methadone and raises serum levels.[11]
Psilocybin[citation needed]
Trazodone ((Desyrel) Reports have indicated users experiencing little to no effect. [12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_drugs_affected_by_grapefruit

Thanks Rocker.  Phew!  Neither of my daily meds are on there.  I love my grapefruit juice - drink it every day.
Grapefruit does not even affect the TX drugs ive heard and never does lemons...BUT...ive read some where that they may affect te PROTESE drugs
Drugs That Interact With Grapefruit Juice

Here are some drugs that interact with grapefruit juice. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you're concerned about any of your medications.
Anxiety: Xanax, Buspar, Versed, Halcion

Depression: Luvox, Zoloft

Allergies: Allegra

Abnormal heart rhythm: Cordarone, quinidine

Heart disease/stroke/blood clots: Coumadin

Epilepsy: Tegretol

Cancer: Cyclophosphamide, etoposide, ifosfamide,
tamoxifen, vinblastine, vincristine

Cough: Dextromethorphan (found in many over-the-counter cold
medicines)

HIV: Agenerase, Crixivan, Viracept, Norvir, Fortovase

Prostate enlargement: Proscar

Heart disease/High blood pressure: Coreg, Cardizem, Plendil, Cardene, Adalat, Procardia, Nimotop, Sular, Covera, Calan, Verelan

Erectile dysfunction: Viagra, Cialis

Asthma/Emphysema: Theophylline

High cholesterol: Lipitor, Lescol, Mevacor, Zocor

Pain: Alfenta, Duragesic, Actiq, Sufenta

Infection: Biaxin, Sporanox, erythromycin, troleandomycin
Patients should check with their doctors about specific interactions between grapefruit juice and medication.
See what i said about the protese drugs and the grapefruit family,its on the above list,  i dont know if all PI drugs are the same but im playing it safe

What is Fortovase?
Fortovase is an anti-HIV medication. It is in a category of HIV medications called protease inhibitors (PIs). Fortovase prevents T-cells that have been infected with HIV from producing new HIV.
Thanks, Rocker, for posting all that.  I was curious about the grapefruit-drug interaction, but had not done the research.  I was told to avoid grapefruit during tx.  Is that a standard of tx, to avoid grapefruit, I mean, is everyone told that by their caregivers?  Just curious.
I was told to avoid grapefruit as well as all citrus.  They may have been over-cautious throwing in the "all citrus" part tho, imho.

I was staying away from grapefruit anyway because of the Zoloft. I sure do miss it!

after all that can you provide a link that says citrus other then grapefruit is contradicted  specifically with HCV treatment meds icluding PI's? Especially telaprevir & boceprevir.
" I was told to avoid grapefruit during tx."
-------------

It causes oxidative stress.

Co
you know there might not be any hard fact scientific data out there specifically about not taking lemons on treatment - how many foods have they specifically studied I wonder but the citrus connection is a connection I guess so maybe people should just limit the intake of anything to the point where it's not THAT much of anything.

Moderation?

Either that or I am going into business with my pal Rocker and selling the blue algae.  Ok Rock maybe we should try to make some money while we are at it? :)
Just call me Dr Rock...LOL
I dont sell the pond scum....anyone can buy it online or in the local healthstore.i dont own the company
Dear Doctor Rock

I know you don't sell the pond scum I was just joking around with  you (sometimes it's hard to tell on the internet especially because I'm a NY'er and we just have a snarky tone all the time I"m sure).

Oh yeah and I was looking for a quick way to make some cash....I wasn't joking about that ;)

I'm just glad I'm SVR now and can have the lemonade I want to. Actually lemonade and grapefruit juice mixed together sounds pretty delicious if I do say I think I'll go to the grocery store on the way home (and buy some tums too cause that is gonna give me major heartburn I'm SURE)
And kids remember: don't drink the koolaid   ;)
You can sell the blue green bacteria is you want,when you buy the stuff they make you a distrubitor automatic,you just have to buy 4 bottles in advance,now dont get me wrong,im not trying to sell it....even tho i did sell about 10 a few bottles to my friends i actually was giving it away...problem is ,is that it it helps people so weel they dont need it anymore after taking a bottle...its also have for people to belived the stuff kocks A.SS

BTW...i didnt think you were being snarlu at all...i know you by now...your cool, ok in my books

"The only citrus that should be avoided when taking  meds is grapefruit. "
----------------------

There are many others.......

"POTENT INHIBITION BY STAR FRUIT OF HUMAN CYTOCHROME P450 3A (CYP3A) ACTIVITY"

http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/32/6/581?ijkey=3142833449ed0472aa65ca659aaecdd53316e051&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Inhibitory effect of fruit juices on CYP3A activity.

"The inhibitory potential of human CYP3A was in the order: grapefruit > black mulberry > wild grape >pomegranate > black raspberry."

http://dmd.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/34/4/521?ijkey=8fc3bc688dccea368d29077e08e6a92230856feb&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Grapefruit juice inhibits CYP3A.  If you take any medications that are metabolized by CYP43A, inhibiting CYP3A with grapefruit juice can increase the blood level of those meds.

Telepravir and Boceprevir are metabolized by CYP3A.  So inhibiting CYP3A with grapefruit juice (or other citrus juices) will increase the blood levels of Telepravir and Boceprevir.  The drug Ritonavir also inhibits CYP3A and when they used it together with Telaprevir, the drug levels of Telaprevir increased by 15 fold.

Co

Pharmacokinetic enhancement of the hepatitis C virus protease inhibitors VX-950 and SCH 503034 by co-dosing with ritonavir.

Kempf DJ, Klein C, Chen HJ, Klein LL, Yeung C, Randolph JT, Lau YY, Chovan LE, Guan Z, Hernandez L, Turner TM, Dandliker PJ, Marsh KC.

Inhibitors of hepatitis C virus (HCV) protease have shown marked antiviral activity in short-term clinical studies in HCV-infected individuals. The interaction of the investigational HCV protease inhibitors VX-950 and SCH 503034 with ritonavir, a potent inhibitor of cytochrome P450 3A, was studied in vitro and in vivo. In rat and human liver microsomes, the metabolism of VX-950 and SCH 503034 was strongly inhibited by the presence of 4 microM ritonavir. Upon co-dosing either VX-950 or SCH 503034 with ritonavir in rats, plasma exposure of the HCV protease inhibitors was increased by > 15-fold, and plasma concentrations 8 h after dosing were increased by > 50-fold.

You crack me up, thanks for the laugh.... It sure sounds like mooooo to me
omg... I was referring to

'My doc just wants me to eat grass and drink water '
You requested the link to the info on citrus fruits and the PI drugs.
You are a great researcher of information
I always err on the side of caution,especially when my life depeds on it....no lemons or limes for me...wait a minute....i just finshed 2 years of TX....i think ill eat a box of lems tonite and celebrate
The new ongoing BOC trials(158) are using ritonavir in tthe mix....this is why they claim its 10 times more potent that the regular BOC trials

Grapefruit and pommelos only are forbidden because of interaction with meds.  Pommelo is genetically a grapefruit cross.  All other citrus are fine. Literature that recommends grapefruit is not talking about fresh fruit or juice but chemical extracts from grapefruit.  I don't know which ones they're playing with but it would never be fresh fruit or juice.

Ritonovir is an AIDS drug that I suspect acts as a helper drug for the 2nd generation PI's, like Riba is a helper drug for interferon.
Ron, can I join you eating lems?
I love organic lemons and i do notice a big difference in the taste,the commercial lemons are loaded with preservatives....Marica...sure you can,bot ya cant squeeze my lemon...LOL...you know im only serious...reminds of the LED ZEP song
Yeah, I know you're only serious... ;-)  I love lemons too
I am noticing my mood change since ive stopped the heavy duty TX  drugs,i feel happier and also i went for a bike ride and i notice i have more energy right away...one day free from the TX drugs and i feel a difference....WOW