Hepatitis C Community
Lesions on the liver?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Lesions on the liver?

Hello all- I am back- its CWAR

My husband just got his second set of ultra sounds done and the results showed something different than in the summer of 2007.  There seems to be a small lesion on the right side of the liver and the Dr wants him to have an MRI to rule out cancer.

Have any of you heard about lesions on the liver?  What causes these lesions? What are they? Any news would be apprectiated.

Thank you,
Carol
most of the time these are Hemanginomas and are benign. many people have them show up on CT's & US's. Still best to get the MRI to rule out anything serious. Best of luck
Sorry, the correct spelling is "hemangioma"
Sorry, what is a hemangioma?

Thanks!
Cwar
A hemangioma is also known as a “blood tumor’; a generally benign abnormality of the liver. They’re relatively common, and generally don’t require any intervention; however, they don’t want to biopsy through it. Hopefully, this is all it is; let us know what the MRI has to say.

Best of luck—

Bill
The term that is on the ultrasound report is "echogenic" lesion in the right lobe of the liver measuring 1.4 x 1.4 x 1.2 cm.  Not really sure what this is but until he gets his mri he and I are both very, very nervous. Naturally we are thinking the worst.  Copyman mentioned Hemangioma lesions....what exactly are these?  
Thx
you can find everything out about hemangioma's by doing a google search. just type in "hemangioma"
Hi Carol: I wish the best for you and your husband.  If it helps any, my doctor also thought I had a lesion on the liver (per the CT scan).  They did an MRI and ruled out a lesion.  I guess it's simply a normal cyst that we get on many organs.  I pray that your husband receives good news.  It's good that he's going through with the MRI to know what he's dealing with.
You can go to pubmed and enter a search, such haemangioma AND hepatitis c, and you will get alot of hits and information.  Here's one I got for you.  good luck

Arteriovenous haemangioma in chronic liver disease: clinical and histopathological features of four cases.

Akiyama M, Inamoto N.Department of Dermatology, Teikyo University School of Medicine, Ichihara Hospital, Chiba 299-0111, Japan. ***@****-u.ac.jp

Chronic liver diseases are known to cause several skin manifestations, including cutaneous vascular changes such as spider naevus and palmar erythema. Arteriovenous haemangioma (AVH), a benign acquired cutaneous vascular lesion, has also been reported to be associated with chronic liver disease. We report here four cases of AVH in patients with chronic liver disease: (i) a 59-year-old man who had suffered from chronic active hepatitis associated with hepatitis C virus for 15 years; (ii) a 48-year-old man who had suffered from alcoholic hepatitis for 3 years and was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis 1 year ago; (iii) a 69-year-old female who had had chronic active hepatitis associated with hepatitis C virus infection for 20 years and was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis 7 years ago; and (iv) a 48-year-old man who had had chronic active hepatitis associated with hepatitis B virus infection for about 20 years. All patients showed an asymptomatic solitary dome-shaped reddish papule, 5-10 mm in diameter, on the face (first, second and third patients) or chest (fourth patient). Histopathological examination of the tumours revealed features of AVH, namely a well-circumscribed lesion composed of vascular structures of various sizes reminiscent of arteries and veins. In all four cases, elastic-van Gieson stain showed the absence of an internal elastic lamina in the thick-walled vessels as well as the thin-walled vessels. Examination of multiple sections demonstrated glomus cells and an ascending artery feeding the tumour vessels in only one case. Slight inflammatory cell infiltration was seen in the stroma of three patients while Toluidine blue staining revealed an increased number of mast cells in the stroma in all lesions. The present cases suggest that the occurrence of AVH associated with chronic liver disease is not related to any specific liver disease, but may be related to chronic liver dysfunction itself.

PMID: 11260025 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE