Hepatitis C Community
Life after treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Life after treatment

I have untill apr 20 then my 48weeks are up. So far so good I cleared the virus at 24 weeks they'll check again at 48 weeks if im still clear will the virus still be detectable in my blood and do i still need to be safe. like dont be a doner, tell the dentist, Worrying about transmiting hep through sex, and telling your partner you have hep? And im not saying i want to be an alcaholic but what about every great once in awhile, New Years... Superbowl. Also I worry about the virus coming back.What is the percentage of people that get it back. and does it mean the longer you are cleared from the virus the less Chance you can get it back or do you just keep you fingers crossed And keep getting checked?
You'll never be able to be a blood donor.  

I don't think personally you really need to tell a dentist anything--they are supposed to practice universal precautions, regardless.  I'm a nurse and I don't treat know HIV or Hep patients any differently than anyone else--because you NEVER know.

They'll probably test you at 3 months, 6 months, and a year.  If you are still clear at a year, chances are extremely good you will remain so.  My hubby has been clear for more than 2 years, almost 3 now, and his doc doesn't recommend testing again.  We'll probably test anyway just for peace of mind every year or so--just so hard to believe it's really and truly gone.

I think if you are clear at a year, telling a partner would be up to you.  You are practicing safe sex anyway, particularly with someone you don't know well.  Anyone you are in a committed, long term relationship with I'd assume you would have told anyway.
Yes, they say once its clear/gone it doesn't come back, only if you get exposed to it again.
I recently learned the stats my practice goes by, post tx. You start with 23% chance of relapse at the end of Tx; she did not differentiate between 48 or 72 wk tx, or  whether you were an early or slow responder, etc. So, I am not sure how it applies to you or me. After the first negative PCR, post tx, it goes to 17% chance of relapse, and after the 6 mo negative, it goes to  a 2% chance of relapse. If you had your first negative at 24 wks, you might be a slow responder and might want to consider extending 36 wks or more for a better chance to SVR.
How SVR stats correlate to relapse % , is for someone else to explain.
GL to you
Good to see you I was just lurking this morning and saw your name. Hope all is going well with you. Three more weeks and I make one year post. Can you believe that!!! Dr. not going to do another PCR says since I am/was a 2B and I was clear at 6 months there's no need to check again. He wouldn't say cured just that the virus has been erraticated. LFT are still normal as of last week. Sure hope the same thing is happening with you girl.

Love Peace and Happiness
I'm afraid I have to agree with Cuteus.Since you cleared at 24 weeks you should probably go 36 weeks beyond that.I tested below 600 but still detectable at 12 weeks and undetectable at 24 weeks-I stopped at 48 weeks and relapsed by 5 months post tx.It's a lot to go through whether you clear or not.It's best to give it your best shot now if you can. Frank
tucker-hang in there.  i am actually awaiting the results of my 6 mo. post tx bloodwork this week (the big one, apparently...SVR).  i know that people will want to stone me for saying this, but i have actually had a few drinks (less than 3 in one sitting) over the past 3 months.  my doctor said that this was ok.  i think that you know your body, your situation, and should make these decisions on your own.  the way i look at it is that is that some people live their lives for so many years drinking and doing what they please without never knowing that they are/were infected, so i'm sure that a few drinks really isn't going to kill me instantly.  i suffered through the tx, and if i want to celebrate it being over, then i am going to - just because we are diagnosed with this disease does not mean that we have to pretend like we live in a bubble and refrain from things that we find to be really fun.

i may be in a different boat because i am only 25, and had an acute case, minimal liver damage.  i'm sure now after writing that response, there will be some harsh replies, but if you ever want to chat and just talk about stuff, shoot me a line.
Thanks for the info. I just hope one day we can put an end to all the Hep virus; I'm a post nam vet witch is about 18% of people with hep c. There seems to be alot of strong talk about  the jet gun use. it just seems thers more and more people getting the virus. I guess theres around 5 million in the U.S. and i've herd 200 to 400 mil. worldwide. THANKS AGAIN!
It's kinda hard being the only one hanging out with your friends and not being able to have a beer. My life and friends always
involved drinking, like you my liver is in pretty good shape. You kin'da find out who's your friends when your not mr. fun guy anymore. I'll be sober 2 years in apr. and WONT get back to where i was. But would be nice occasionally. Take care, hope everything turns out good for ya at 25, you got alot to live!