Hepatitis C Community
Little red dots?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Little red dots?

I have little red pinpoint dots on my skin. It started out with just a few on my abdominal area. Now they are on my upper arms,upper legs,chest area. They dont hurt but I have no idea what they are. One of my drs. said it was probably a heredity thing. Has anyone else noticed this? Could it be hepc related?
Are you on tx?  I have red spots and tiny blisters all over my chest, abdomen, and back, and scattered ones on my arms and legs.
I just got some recently on my side and on my arm by my elbow. They really don't bother me so I'm not going to really bother them. --HD
I have them to while on tx. They come and go since the beginning of tx. Mine don't bother me either as long as I don't pick at them at all.
I thought I was the only one.  I started getting them on the area around my scrotum. Then they  spread to my legs and now my abdominal area.  I first started getting them around 3 1/2 months into tx. When I got off 2 1/2 months later I thought they would go away, but they continue to reappear, mainly in my abdominal area.  They look like red pimples but don't hurt or itch. It's just this psychological thing of not knowing.  Nothing I try seems to help. In the Urinary Section of this websight was someone who might have a similar thing. He said swimming in the ocean water helped but we have no ocean water  in western NY.  I am going to try Epson salt baths and I will let you know.  Also did you get any kind of rash. That Peg-interferon or any of the Hep. drugs can cause some wierd side effects. My hair came back but the way it's going I will be able to comb it with the third arm growing out my stomach. Stay in contact and good luck.
This is BillyV again.  Before I worry anyone I just wanted to say I just got off tx about 2 months ago. Maybe next week they will go away. I didn't want to make anyone think I may have got off a long time ago.  We already have enough problems without making news gloomier. Good luck.
I have a bunch of them up and down on both arms. They're tiny bumps which except for the little red ones are hardly visible, but I can feel them, nd sometimes my arms itch. I thought it was only me.
I started getting them on my legs and feet about 3 months into tx. They come and go, don't seem to be anything major. I asked about them here a while back, somebody said they play connect the dots when they get bored :-))
Hope this helps...I don't know what riba rash looks like - but there is a picture in the first link of what something called lichen planus looks like.  Apparently, this can be associated with hepc.  See if it resembles the red dots you guys are talking about...

http://www.aad.org/pamphlets/lichen.html

http://familydoctor.org/handouts/600.html

Nope that isn't it.  For me, it is an allergic reaction to the riba.  Litchen Planus has purplish flattended bumps and rarely are blisters present.  This is red and tiny blisters are common.  Some folks here who have rashes in the groin, armpits, in folds of skin, etc, may be having yeast infectins.
Gee I don't  know IMBLESSED, I guess we'll have to talk to our doctors and compare notes, OK?
This might sound dumb but it sounds like ya'll might be having an allergic reaction to one of the meds. Has anyone asked the doc about this? Maybe he can give something that will counteract the reaction, like benadril.
Anyway, different subject, FYI:  This month around August 27th we will be able to see another planet come close to Mars (I think). They will be the 2 brightest stars in the sky and wont be seen again by the visible eye for another 5000 to 60,000 yrs.
Yes, I'm pre tx and have pinpoint red dots on my abdominal area and on my lower chest.There are about a dozen. They dont bother me in any way,except that I don't know why they are there.Maybe they are from hep c.Are you pre-treatment also?
No, I am not on tx yet either. My dots are flat and do not itch. It is not a rash or a type of a rash. They are just red and flat and I cant figure out where they came from.
what if one connects the dots and that person does not like what it spells. that reminds me: yesterday when the fog was lifting off the wetland, the sun was aglow in red on the horizon, and the air was still, my brother and i were on our way to the great minneapolis farmer's market. i am telling you there was a snapper on the road big around as a 30 gallon garbage can. i say, "stop" then i get out of the car and go look at the girl. (i know it was a girl because she was crossing to road to lay eggs and why would a boy cross the road?)  i was going to pick her up and help her on her way. my brother says "you interested in keeping  your arm? don't you think the thing weighs atleast 50 pounds? are you nuts? get back in the car".  so the moral of this story is: look, don't touch and be thankful for brothers. lynn
I've had those little red dots on both arms for about 11/2 yrs. I keep saying I need to see a dermo. One doc. said it was sun damage and there was nothing they could do and it was'nt dangerous. I was wondering if it was due to liver damage I'm at stage 3. I've only been on tx since july 1. so I know it isnt the peg/riba but maybe liver damage. It dosent bother me its ugly!!!!
I have little red spots on my chest . Had them before tx. Asked my doc once because I used to get pretty tanned and all the talk of skin cancer. He told me what they were but I don't remember. I know it was nothing to worry about at all.
I just noticed that i have little red dots all over my adomen and i did a search that brought this site up i dont have hepatitis but i have had two of the three hepatitis vac.shots could this be way iam seeing these dots?
Yes, the same thing happened to me. they didn't stay long
I'm treatment niave so they are not caused by that.  I've had these for 20 ish years.  Mine started like with one or two but I may have 10 now.  They are small (pin head sized, more or less) and virtually nontextured.

I went to see a derm and asked if they were related to HCV or damage related to HCV and he said no.  He made some aside comment about them as though they were freckles.  It sounded benign to me after that and I've not paid much attention to them since.  Mine seem permanent; they don't seem to come and go.

Willy
Riba Rash will itch you like CRAZY I mean like crazy mad nuts so that you wnt to rip your skin off. They are little tiny red dots too but if it's the rash - you'll know it.
These red dots are little leaking capillaries. Everyone has them at times. They have nothing to do with hep C. They can't hurt you. The next time you got a real hot day and you are on your feet a lot, take a look at the top of yur feet. I bet you'll see dozens of those pinprick spots. On hot days the capillaries dilate in order to provide more of a cooling surface so your body temperature doesn't rise. The blood and fluids leak out a tiny little bit. That is all it is.
I have the red pin size bleeds also. Prior to tx they appeared. I too believe that they are leaking capillaries BUT I think they are 'possibly' related to hep c and immunoglobulins.
I haven’t started treatment yet (next month) but, I was vaccinated for A&B last week. The next day I had a few of them appear on my abdomen. I have never had them before. They were gone in about 2 days. Since I have never had them before. I think it is to much of a coincidence for me not to believe they were not related to the vaccination.I am sure other things can cause them also.
How about this…. Take a picture of the red dots with a digital camera down loaded to your c drive then up load it to your picture profile and then post a subject line… RED DOTS! Then we can get all on the same page and work this out. There seems that there is a verity so let get those pictures.

I’ve also been very confused about this and have them as well and have posted several time about them with no avail except for its riba rash. Everyone has different views as to what they are. I don’t think they are but they are associated with the medications we are taking. I had thought maybe it had to do with the suns ultraviolet rays and the med reaction to it. The reason I say this is that I was at the beach under several umbrellas to where I was not exposed to direct sun light but by the next morning my legs and upper thighs broke out in these red dots as well as upper torso for which I had a tee shirt on but the dots were not as bad. So, if any one wants to show there red dots, lets see em’.

jasper
one of hepc's "extrahepatic" system is to leak blood in that manner I think, so it could be a hepc symptom.
technically, little pin ***** skin bleeds are called Petechiae

They used to be very common to my former field as one frequently sees them in child abuse cases.  Sometimes slaps to the skin from the outside can draw them, and also, in suffocation deaths, these same marks show up in the eyes.  That's how sids is sometimes differentiated from homicidal smotherings.  They can also be caused by numerous health issues, an offering of which are below:
http://www.healthline.com/search?q1=petechiae&utm_source=serp2&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=serp&utm_term=petechiae

this is different though, than a rash that arises on top of the skin and blisters.  I would suspect that to either be from meds, another type of extrahepatic symptom that is more autoimmune in nature perhaps?  don't know, just a guess, or of an etiology outside those two.  Right. So what did I just say?  Could be anything.
Yes I agree it can be a hepc symptom (in my case) because as mentioned this was prior to tx that they appeared. Its interesting that you had mentioned this is seen in suffocation deaths, so possibly when a persons rbc is low, as mine was a few times prior to tx - maybe that was the time the spots appeared due to the red cells and its role in carrying oxygen - just a guess - who knows though.
My red dots are tiny pin size very slightly raised blisters.  Have them on chest,
tummy, upper part of legs......probably about 50 ...does that describe your
red dots?    If so, would love to know what caused them & how to get rid of
them without the expense of a dermatologist???!!!     dasi
Since I did the treatment in 2004 I have continued to have these red bumps/dots on my chest, they dont itch or hurt, but they are noticable when I wear low neck tops etc.  The redness is annoying.
I was in my second week of treatment when i noticed my elbows and my knees were breaking out in a blistered rash. My chest had some kind of red rash and along with that, the knuckes and tops of my hands starting breaking out in a combo rash.  I got on line and was told two very useful tips.  One-The sun is NOT your friend on tx and in europe, folks on tx were using what they called "instant relief" which was GOLD BOND green bottle triple Action Relief.  So I got the Gold Bond (smells like old ladies) and used every morn and every night. The cooling ingrediant took the itch right out of the rash and it lasted up to 4 or 5 hrs. Second, I bought Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 45 for my face and hands. Never went out without it on. I also wore a pair of white cotton gloves whenever driving (the sun is very hot where I live) until my rash on my hands went away.  Which it did in about 1.5 weeks. I also changed my body wash to Aveeno Skin Relief fragrance free. Very quickly, using this regiment, I noticed my skin clearing. I managed to clear all except for a small patch on my right knee and some stuff on my chest. Every once in a while, I would put some Cortizone on them because out of nowhere they would start itching.  I was told by my doc only to use 1-2 days at a time and that it thins your skin. Also, if you have scratch the rash until they are open, use triple antibiotic instead. ALL OF THIS WORKED 4 Me..   Then I hit my 4th month of tx and i broke out in these little dots all over my torso and back.  They itched quite a bit in the first week or so but slowly calmed down. I changed my skin lotion to Aveeno Skin Relief with cooling menthol. I think I was getting immune to the gold bond. This definately helped and it didnt smell half as bad!!! I thought the breakout may have been an allergic reaction to something I ate.  But since I am Not allergic to anything I know of, who knows...Anyway, I stopped eating any berries or tomatoes since i read on a site that our bodies can become sensitive to foods while on treatment and list some foods. Anyway, it quickly stopped itching and if I didnt rub my hand accross my skin, i couldnt even tell they were still there. But I had them up until I finished treatment a month ago. I noticed it took about three weeks for me to see the small rash left on my knee and chest to start going away and now after 5 weeks, they are barely there.  the little dots are gone as well, THANK GOD!
I think skin care was one of my biggest challenges during treatment but  thanks to a lot of tips it was quickly managed. Of course, it is always good to ask your doc before starting anything new.  As I bought products, i would bring them in on doc visits and ask my doc to take a look and see if it was ok to use.  
Best Wishes to you!
Ask your doctor if it could be Spider Nevi or Spider Angioma, also called petechial lesions  (which is a common finding in patients with Hep C or liver disease.)  The lesions  (red pin point dots)   usually appear on the abdomen, back of upper arms, or neck area (sometimes all of those areas), or legs.   They don't hurt or itch, they're not fluid filled,  and they're not raised.   They blanch (fade or disappear)  when pressure is applied to the skin.  When pressure is released, they immediately fill back up with blood and take on the red pin point appearance.  That is the distinguishing difference  (only spider nevi do that).   If you have a GI doc, let them take a look.  It's nothing to be alarmed about (it's just one of those things that frequently comes with Hep C).  If it's spider nevi, the smaller ones might go away on their own or with treatment  (but most who get them have them permanently.)  
Yes I agree with you as I am treatment naive and have had the exact same tiny red dots for a few years. They are not raised, do not itch, and are not a rash. I have asked my primary and my GI and they were both saying nope has nothing to do with HCV. I was not convinced and researched it and came to the conclusion that it probably is Petechiae. If you look it up  you will see that in addition to trauma it can come from viral infections, and is linked to autoimmune disorders. Here is a link to a picture of it in Wikopedia (if they don't zap it) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petechia. They are harmless but indicate low platelet's causing your capillaries to leak. The only thing I have always found annoying is that when things like this happen  to your body or you notice changes and the doctor poo-poo's it and says it has nothing to do with HCV. I know my body and know when something is going on with it. HCV is still a fairly new disease in the grand scheme of things and there is a lot that they just do not know about it and are learnig all the time. I used to be told that it was a liver disease. While yes it is the liver that takes the brunt of the damage, it is not just a liver disease. It is in our blood stream and can affect many things in our body. This is why some people have a wide variety of symptoms.
wow thanks for that info on platelets...i thought everyone had thoughs spots...i do think it's funny how they come out right over the liver area on your skin...i haven't tx yet..but when i noticed the spots a couple years ago i asked my x about them..she has been through tx..she said everyone with hep c has them..and 5 years after tx she still has them..mine change in size depending on how bad i feel...when i'm feeling good they are small ..like the top of a pin...but they can get almost an 8th of an inch at times....they also stay over my liver area on my skin as my x wifes do too...billy
This thread is 5 years old. At once again 12:00 is the time. Hoping this person is SVR now and living and loving their life.
i have the same thing but i never cared because i put some cream and they went a way but they come back to. i am really freked out im just 13 what are these
I HAVE HAD THIS RED PIN HEADS FOR YEARS ON MY UNDER ARMS  AND ABOVE MY ARMS AND NOW THERE SHOWING UP ON MY ADOMEN AND SOME ON MY LEGS AND ALSO MY BACK. LIKE ALL OF YOU NO ITCH, NO PAIN. THE ONES ON MY UNDER ARMS SEEM TO GO FLAT LIKE ALMOST WANT TO DISAPEAR AND THAN THEY GET PUFFY AT TIMES. I HAVE ASK THE DOCTORS ABOUT THEM AND LIKE SOME OF YOU THEY HAVE NO ANSWERS AND THEY SAY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. I AM ALWAYS SEARCHING THE WEB SITES FOR ANSWERS. IF I FIND SOMETHING I WILL POST IT AND HOPE IT HELPS SOMEONE. OH YEA! I ASK THE DOCTOR ABOUT REMOVEING THEM, $35.00 FOR EACH ONE AND THEY MAY COME BACK. $35.* 40 RED DOTS. I SEE TX ON SOME COMMENTS, WHAT IS IT? I THOUGHT IT HAD TO DO WITH AGE THIS RED DOTS, BUT I AM A YOUNG MAN OF 58 YEARS OLD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purpura

I was diagnosed with a mild case during the early part of tx with Petechiae on my lower legs. And I noticed they were more obvious and redder right after injecting...then they'd kinda fade until next time.(they are gone now) THere was a member here who had it and her dr. prescribed these medical socks (forget what they're called)...anyway, at the above site there are pics of purpura and petiechiae...I do believe it has to do with vasculitis. I hope this helps...there is alot more info out there. if you google
All the best
y

'Petechiae may be a sign of thrombocytopenia (low platelet counts), in circumstances when platelet function is inhibited (e.g., as a side effect of medications or during certain infections), or in clotting factor deficiencies'
not sure if anyone has mentioned it but most of the time they are cherry aginoma's are benign and nothing to worry about.
Cant comment much as for the red dots, BUT, i have seen individuals with hepatitis that have a bright red patch on their palm/s of their hands.
Both my boys had itchy red spots on chest and stomach area.  I took the oldest in and the doctor said it was a virus of some sort and said the other one got it since they wrestle or sleep in each others beds.  The doctor froze them off.  My youngest wanted no part of it and the doc said in time they should go away and they did.  NOW, my oldest son is experiencing a different type of red spots.  The spots show up as one spot and not in a cluster and do not itch.  He has one on his cheek, one on his foot, one here and there.  At a loss here.
I had one big raised red spot, a spider vein thing, for years. Dermatologist after dermatologist told me it was from sun damage. Not one said "get your liver checked".
It wasn't until I was diagnosed with HCV that I found out it was from my liver. By then I had decompensated cirrhosis.
Moral of the story, don't listen to skin doctors!
All they ever said to me was two words" sun damage".

And I have red little spots all over my torso now, as well. My heptologist is clueless as to their cause.
I believe i have hepatitis b or c. I first thought it was b believing it was through sexual contact but I read the transmission rate is low but hepatitis c can be caused by sexual contact. I'm developing that red pinpoint dots on my body. Areas in my legs(a few by my knee), on my thigh, on my stomach, one on my breast. I know hepatitis b is usually acute but if it's hepatitis c it's more serious. Are these dots from hepatitis.(my appointment isn't until next Friday for blood work)