Hepatitis C Community
Liver Biopsy recovery period

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Liver Biopsy recovery period

How intrusive is a liver biopsy?  How much time do I need to recover before I could go to work?
The worst part of the biopsy is the worry before hand as its really not to bad, I would plan on taking the day after off as you might be a little sore. They also say one should not lift I believe over 10 lbs for a few days, other then that its pretty cut and dry... The worst part for me was having to lay still for a couple hours afterwards before I got to go home........ Best to you.
I say give yourself at least 3 days or 4 I took only a day went back to work and re injured myself. So take all the time you need.
I think the procedure is sometimes super easy, and sometimes not so easy, but it isn't totally predictable. Mine went fine, with no complications, and yet it was tender for a while. I had to be pretty inactive for two days and then careful for about a week. I continued to have slight tenderness in the area for many months. I think that most people here experienced less discomfort than I did however, as I've heard many write about it as if it was no worse than getting a flu shot. I think you should be prepared to need several days but hope you are one who bounces back in hours. Good luck!