Hepatitis C Community
Liver Expert Robert Gish, MD, Joins UC San Diego

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I thought that folks here in Northern and Southern California would be interested in this info...Hectorsf

"Liver Expert Robert Gish, MD, Joins UC San Diego"

Article Date: 31 Aug 2010

Robert G. Gish, MD, world-renowned hepatologist, has been recruited to the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine to co-direct the Center for Hepatobiliary Disease and Abdominal Transplantation (CHAT) - a multidisciplinary program designed to offer adult and pediatric patients in the western United States a single destination for the diagnosis and treatment of liver disease from common to complex.

"Hepatitis B is a global problem with more than 400 million infected individuals and more than one million deaths occurring as a result of cirrhosis and liver cancer each year," said Gish, the new Co-director of CHAT, Chief of Clinical Hepatology and Professor of Clinical Medicine. "The UCSD team will not only focus on lifesaving therapies for liver disease but on promoting liver health locally and across continents through multi-lingual health education."

For more than two decades, Gish has lead an extensive hepatology practice specializing in the care of liver failure, liver transplantation, viral hepatitis and liver cancer. He has served more than 22,000 patients in California and Nevada treating challenging types of liver disease in diverse populations. Gish is recognized in Southeast Asia for establishing a roadmap to improve screening and treatment for, and prevention of liver disease and Hepatitis B in Vietnam. He received the "Humanitarian of the Year" award from the San Francisco-Ho Chi Minh City Sister City Committee for this work.

Gish is a NIH-funded researcher whose work will focus on the epidemiology of liver disease, biomarkers for liver disease and multi-targeted therapies for liver cancer such as protein kinase inhibitors, fibroblast growth factors and iRNA technologies to prevent liver graft rejection. Novel therapies also include bio-artificial liver devices (BAL) as a bridge to transplant for patients suffering from acute liver failure.

"Gish's international expertise in treating complex liver disease will further elevate UC San Diego as a world-class center for innovative liver care," said Alan Hemming, MD, Professor of Surgery, Chief of Transplantation and Co-director of CHAT. "Our care is aligned around the patient experience integrating advanced diagnostics, state-of-the-art radiation, experimental medical therapies and novel surgical approaches for liver resection and transplantation."

As Chief of Clinical Hepatology, Gish joins William Sandborn, MD, who was recently named Division Chief for Gastroenterology in the Department of Medicine. Together, they will bring UC San Diego Health System to the forefront of gastrointestinal medicine.

Prior to UC San Diego, Gish was medical director of the Liver Disease Management and Transplant Program at the California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco, California as well as Division Chief of the Section on Hepatology and Complex Gastroenterology within the Physicians Foundation at California Pacific Medical Center. He is an Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Nevada in Reno and an Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco.

Gish received his undergraduate training in pharmaceutical sciences at the University of Kansas in Lawrence and his medical degree from the University of Kansas in Kansas City. After graduation, he went on to complete his internship and residency in internal medicine at the University of California, San Diego School of Medicine and a fellowship in Gastroenterology and Hepatology at the University of California, Los Angeles. He is board certified in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology and has the advance Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Liver Transplantation and is a UNOS certified Liver Transplant Physician.

He is a member of the American Association for the Study of the Liver, the American Gastroenterological Association, the American Society of Transplant Physicians, and the International Liver Transplant Society, among others.

Gish has published more than 500 original articles, reviews, abstracts, and book chapters regarding all aspects of liver disease and transplantation and is a widely requested speaker both nationally and internationally. He is fluent in Spanish and Vietnamese.

Source:
University of California, San Diego Health Sciences

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/199405.php

Hectorsf
Ooh, very interesting Hector; thanks for sending this in!

--Bill
I'm in Southern California so I'm particualrly appreciative that you took the time to post this. Thanks Hector!
Yes, thank you Hector. I'm in SoCal and want to get a solid 2nd opinion before liver surgery.
I don't think Dr. Gish is in  San Diego anymore. I just did quick search and can't find him at that hospital. I'm in So Cal also.

Good luck, let me know if you find a good Hepatologist.
Hope you don't mind me asking, who are you seeing now?

Kitty
Hello Kitty, thanks for the update. I see Dr. John Hoefs in Irvine (www.liverspecialtycenter.com). He seems very knowledgeable, but he isn't a surgeon.

John
I'm in LA and love my Hepatologist:  John Donovan, MD Keck School of Medicine at USC.  

http://johnadonovan.md.com/

Good luck,
V.
http://robertgish.md.com/
http://www.robertgish.com/?vsmaid=101#!about-dr-gish/cjg9

In December 2010, Dr. Gish moved to San Diego to join the faculty of UCSD as a Clinical Professor of Medicine, Section Chief of Hepatology, and Director of the Center of Excellence for Hepatobiliary Disease and Abdominal Transplantation (C.H.A.T.).

In September of 2013, Dr Gish left UCSD to form a consulting company, Robert G. Gish Consultants LLC to provide consultative support to Hepatology Centers and Liver Transplant Programs who wish to start or grow their programs through pathways of quality and optimal patient care that is integrated with research and education.

Today, Dr. Gish is a Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Nevada in Las Vegas where he continues to teach and is a senior consultant at St Joseph’s Medical Center in Phoenix.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/02/prweb11570513.htm
Hepatitis B Foundation Welcomes Dr. Robert Gish as Medical Director
Renowned leader in the field of liver disease takes on new role leading advocacy and research.

The Hepatitis B Foundation welcomes Robert G. Gish, M.D. as medical director
Doylestown, Pa. (PRWEB) February 10, 2014
This is a little old but people here on the forum shared their good doctor stories on this link:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Who-is-your-good-doctor-/show/1715783
Thanks for sharing your doc. Ill look him up. But if all possible I'm trying to avoid LA. I'm going to look into Loma Linda. I'm cirrhotic but compensated so
I'm thinking worst case scenario here with traffic! Lol! Ugh!

Thanks  Kitty