Liver Failure?!?
My mother just turned 47, 3 days ago. She was taken to the emergency room yesterday morning and has been admitted into Intensive care. She has liver failure. She is yellow (yellow skin and eyes). She has swollen legs and stomach. The doctors are running blood tests, but they cannot tell me anything yet. I need to know what to expect. I am 20 years old and I don't know what to do. If anyone can tell me what to expect please tell me! my email is ***@****. Also, she is confused, and seems to not make much sense when she trys to talk. Please help.
All these symptoms you describe are normal for people with liver failure. If this is her first time with this diagnosis it will depend on how advanced her liver failure and what the cause is~none of which you mentioned. With the info you described, it sounds like it might be a long road for her and you.
I'm going thru this with a family member myself. She has alcoholic cirrhosis. She's been drinking and drugging for 20 yrs that I know of (her drugs were all MD prescribed, but the TYLENOL in the Vicodin and at the #s she took killed her liver).
I wish you both the best.
I am so sorry to hear about your Mother.  It's really unfortunate that it has come to this and now you will need to prepare to care for her if that's the case.  It certainly sounds like ESLD and you can learn alot by going to google and typing in ESLD.  When she gets out of the hospital she will need to follow doctors orders and you may have to help her a bit but I'm sure the doctor will tell you what to expect.  I'm sure someone else will chime in who knows more about this.  good luck and God Bless
So sorry to hear about your mom.

As fret said it appears that your mother is experiencing End-Stage Liver Disease (ESLD). Depending on the cause and how ill she is will determine what should happen next. Since you are posting this on the hepatitis c community can we assume she has hep c and that is the cause of her liver disease? If this is the case, they may be able to stabilize her temporarily. But in order to continue to live your mother should be transferred to a liver transplant center and if eligible listed to receive a new liver.

"She is yellow (yellow skin and eyes)". Jaundice.
This is caused by her liver not being able to function properly and bilirubin building up in her body..
"She has swollen legs and stomach":
This in called edema and can appear with ascites. Both of these complications are due to the retention of fluid. There are meds and procedures to manage this complication of liver disease. She must also reduce her intake of sodium and salt.
"she is confused"
This is called hepatic encephalopathy (HE). It is due to the liver being so damaged that it is unable to remove toxins from the digestion of food. This causes the toxins to circulate to the brain which causes the mental symptoms your mother is experiencing. There is meds the can help manage this complication.

The tests that the doctor(s) are performing will help to identify the cause, extent and the prognosis for your mom. All this information will be helpful in allowing them to determine what the next steps should be.

Hang in there. You are doing well in wanting to know more about what is happening to your mom. Support her in every way you can mostly by being there to help her deal with what she is going through.

Hope this helps.
All the best.
hectorsf
Just wanted to extend my sympathies on your mother's illness.  So much might depend on whether this is acute liver failure, or chronic.  Likely, she's got a tough road in front of her and will need your strength.  

That said, being a caregiver is draining.  I urge you to start putting together your own support team - whether it's a friend who'll always lend you an ear or a set of arms - or you hook up with a support group - or you make plans now to meet your own needs in a healthy manner.  Also, ask at the hospital to speak with a social worker who will have a lot of resources for you.

Good luck and stay strong.
Could you, please, let us know if they determined what caused your mother's liver failure? Does she have hepatitis C? We can not see your e-mail address. MedHelp forum doesn't allow this.

I know very well how hard it is on you. But try to hang on. Your mother is very young. Hopefully, she can receive liver transplant. Tell us what her doctors say, and people here will provide advise and support.
I want to thank everyone for your alls help and support, my mom has been stabilized for the most part, the next step is a physical therapy rehab to get her moving around and hopefully home soon, then a liver transplant. Thank you again.