Hepatitis C Community
Liver Friendly AntiDepressants - Open thread

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I know that Ativan is metabolized by the kidneys, therefore most likely liver friendly for anxiety.
Does anyone know of a liver friendly antidepressant?

I thought I could find an increased level of knowledge by seeking help from a very large local hospital's Director of Behavioral health, but once again I found an idiot with a degree.
I asked for liver friendly meds, and after he finshed looking at me like a monkey looks at a marble, he thought it best that I ask my liver specialist if he/she knew.
Gosh, I guess I can wait FOUR MONTHS.
Please help me, this is my last chance at getting some help.
Thanks rev, I'm really trying to hang in there. I find a direct correlation between going to the Dr for help, finding none, and getting depressed.
I am trying very hard not to expect too much. I am telling them the truth about everything. I thought by seeing the director of a large well established hospital that I would have very good chances of someone understanding what I am going through and responding accordingly.
That was yesterday, and he signed me up with a therapist. Talk. If talk would solve my problems, well, they would have been solved by now. I called up there this morning to cancel my "talk" sessions, (in tears) and they said that I should at least speak with the nurse. Well, that was two hours ago.
I guess unless I arrive in a straight jacket threating to blow my head off I won't be able to get help.
I am so dissapointed with medical care. It seems like unless you are rich or a f*cking celebrity then you get shitty care.
That's been my experience so far. And I gotta tell you, I have about had it with them and their brand of "healthcare".
Probably sorry you asked, huh?

Thanks again, Scott.

I smoke medical marijuanna for depression and anxiety and nausea.  Hepatitis C is a'qualifier' in WA and OR.  I'm sure that's true in CA and Alaska and HI.

Altho everything is metabolized by the liver, I feel marijuanna is the least toxic.  I buy from a legal co-op and am planning a garden now-replacing 3 tomatoe plants w/marijuanna plants.  Pot and tomatoes have the same growing needs.  And vaporizers produce a 'smoke-less' toke!  And on tx, you never get the munchies.

Hey, didya' hear that caffine withdrawal is now considered a psycological disorder?  Now that's a strong drug!
Thank you for caring Scott. I appreciate your compassion.
I unfortunately am not taking tx anymore, can tx still haunt me after all this time? (I stopped in May)
I was taking LexaPro when I first was on tx, as I told the Dr, it was like pissing on a forest fire - he didn't laugh. I thought it was funny.
Now that I don't have riba and peg flowing through my veins, perhaps it would work.
And I still have some Xanax, looks like it will be another lost evening. Better than feeling this way.
I wanted to be completly honest with the Dr, I was feeling OK yesterday when I saw him, but I guess my apple cart is pretty easy to topple. Damn, I am so tired of this getting kicked in the "Jimmy" every time I go to get help.
(I am not trying to be overly critical, but what would you think if the Physchiatrist mentioned the possibility of shock treatments to counteract the sx of tx?) I was shocked all right.
I was still coherent enough to know that I was in the process of getting pathetic treatment. Factor in the time frame of getting another appt., the short list of Dr's in my area and on my Aetna list, and it didn't leave me with any choices.

Maybe this is all from going against God's will. It is his will that I find myself in this situation, so perhaps I should just do nothing and let things fall where they may.
I don't know, man. I just can't figure this one out.

Here is some information on Ativan and other benzodiazepines. Also SSRI antidepressant. They are all excreted through the liver, and all have a warning for people with Liver diseases.

You need a good Dr. to work with you on which anti Depressant to use also which Type of drug to use for anxiety.

For anxiety Xanax and Clonopin are the preferred Anti Anxiety drugs, as for the A.D.'s I had a hepatoxic reaction to Lexapro and Zoloft, so you want to be-careful there.
But Zoloft is a very widely used drug for Interferon induced Depression.

=================================================================
Benzodiazepines should be administered cautiously to patients with renal impairment or hepatic disease; liver and renal function should be monitored regularly during prolonged therapy. Because lorazepam undergoes conjugative metabolism as opposed to oxidative metabolism, it may be relatively safer to use in patients with hepatic dysfunction with careful clinical monitoring versus some other benzodiazepines.

Ativan

PHARMACOKINETICS
Absorption: Well absorbed following oral administration. Rapidly and completely absorbed following IM administration. Sublingual absorption is more rapid than oral and is similar to IM.
Distribution: Widely distributed. Crosses the blood-brain barrier. Crosses the placenta; enters breast milk.
<B>Metabolism and Excretion: Highly metabolized by the liver</B>
Half-life: 10
Look i dont mind the odd funny post and i can get serious when i need. But i want to warn you now BIG TIME Ativan is a really dangerous drug its addictive qualities are legendry. I dont often talk or profess expertise but on the subject of this and related drugs i am not prepared to listen to any bull regarding thier usefullness except in ACUTE psychiatric emergencies. I have seen people shaving a slice a day off ativan tablets with a razor blade because of the withdrawl (withdrawal) syndrome. I will go head to head with any jerk prepared to defend this drugs use outside of severe psychiatric disorders. I speak with total confidence stay away from this drug and lorazepan and any benzodiazepans unless youre committed to a good dose of hell.
Paul
Just incase you think i'm fooling about

http://www.benzo.org.uk/pha-1.htm

Paul
NARSAD, a national research organization  for depressive disorders has stated that combo therapy ("talk" and medications) is the most effective treatment for moderate to severe depressive dissorders. The problem is finding that person you can connect with. and the proper med to compliment it .
Please don't put all your faith on meds alone. research has shown that  there are no magic pills for these disorders. That it is best to try a combination of therapies.
By cancelling your session you are demonstrating poor judgement, and leaning too heavily on chemistry to solve your problems.  
Check NARSAD site for further assistance on mental health information.
I was given Ciprimol before tx for anxiety & depression.  I had no history of either before being diagnosed with hep c, but took them anyway just for a smoother ride while on tx.
I'm pretty certain they did more harm than good for ME as I suffered all kinds of symptoms that I'm sure were related to the Ad rather than the tx.  It's hard to figure out what is normal on tx!
I also finished tx in May & I'm still suffering with depression, not as often but it's there, lurking around.
I'd probably swing for Newsojourn's advice on the wacky backy.
Wish I could be of more help....just go carefully on those Ads.
Best wishes
Louise

It was my understanding that  interferon can actually cause a chemical depression --- please, someone correct me if I am wrong.

My Doc put me on 40 mg of Paxil and it seemed to help.  I didn't feel really depressed, it was just that I couldn't get motivated to do ANYTHING !!!  My Doc had a questionaire with each visit which was clearly directed towards depression, so depression was just as important as my bloodwork results were

July 2, I took my last Riboviron & was undetectable at the 48 wk mark.  They'll check again in Dec before they will declare me "cured" if my viral count is still the same.

I have an aquaintance... a big Harley-dude who could only withstand 3 months of treatment.  He got too sick of being sick.....I have no idea what he has in store for the future... anyone know???  He won't talk much.   I believe an anti-depressant would have helped him cope.   Any comments?

I remember the post.
There is no way to access the old threads from here. SOmetimes when you do a web search on a topic, say Interferon and depression, or depression on hepc tx, etc, you will get MH old posts as a resource. If it has a tite, you can get the thread, sometimes you can't, though.

I also remember the technical effect of the meds on the nervous system from the article you posted.  Isn't it interesting that in spite of the direct effects not everybody gets a MDD? and many don't need ADs? So, no matter what the effects on our organs, not all will develop NP(neuropathy), MDD(major depressive disorder) or thyroid problems.
There has to be more to it than just the meds.
interesting article...yet it does not state...dosing levels and or duration of dosing....on my 4th month of tx i got .5 antivan...that is 1/2 just .5 ...pills...i was up to maybe 3 a day by the end of tx...i was so insomic after (couldn't sleep) tx i asked my dr for something else...he gave me buspar (nonnarcotic) and i took that for a couple of weeks and that was it...i don't believe the lorazapam caused the sleep disorder but the body factory just going into overdrive after stopping the tx....any ways...yes benzos are addictive if abused and if taken for many years...but for a short duration they can be very helpful...great for anger mgmt....

i guess iam suppose to say

hows your liver?

ken
How DO we access our old MH archives?   Because there was a fairly recent depression thread...sorry, an oxymoron, no doubt...when Lou suggested that positive thinking might be an adequate antitdote for tx depression and there was a very long and honest discussion in the aftermath.    And then there was that evidence a week later (remember, Cuteus?)   showing that a very large percentage of people who achieved SVR had experienced depression while on tx.    So melancholy definitely has its value.

I remember doing a long post at the time about the physiological reasons for depression while on tx.   A few of them:  Neurotoxicity caused by dopamine antagonism, which increases with long-term interferon use.   (This is one of the main reasons I'm taking SAME-e now, because it increases dopamine levels.)   Serotonin pathway takes a hit, too:   on interferon we experience lowered serum levels of tryptophan, a serotonin precursor.   Thyroid function is altered.   Interleukin-1 is produced, which has many toxic effects, including dysregulation of the hypothalmus's neuronal function.

So it IS all in our heads.

I don't think he'll go back to TX.  What made him quit is feeling yukky PLUS not being able to 'tinker' with his old Vet due to a new arthritic condition in his hands  from TX.  I had to 'lay off' the guitar for the same reason - my hands hurt to grasp in chording, etc & to pick with the other hand....a nightmare for one who's used music for cheap therapy for years.  His old Vet is  just as important......

Man!  It was a shock that he quit TX.

How are you?  We ended TX at about the same time.
Diazepam and others can be addictive within the theraputic dose in as little as 4to6 weeks.
S H
Thanks everyone. I just can't think straight when I am in a state like yesterday. New - I am jealous that you can get medical pot - I'd like to replace my garden too. It has been the only thing that has helped me all this time. Unfortunately me state is in the stone ages about this - it makes me sick to see the law spend their time hassling pot smokers/growers when there are meth labs operating, golly which is the bigger problem? Or course meth labs aren't a big party to bust, you don't get to ride in a helicopter or anything.
And as far as talk therapy, this is clearly a chemical thing, if I can't reason myself out of depression, than how the heck can someone else talk me out of it?
Sam, thanks for the warning about Ativan, I don't need that kind of trouble. And I believe you.
I have a pharmacist checking about liver friendly meds too, I'll post what I find out.
Until then, it looks like I will be relying on Indiana's advice, lots of pot smoking and sex.
Now that don't sound too bad, does it?
"And as far as talk therapy, this is clearly a chemical thing, if I can't reason myself out of depression, than how the heck can someone else talk me out of it?"
A surgeon can not operate on himself and even psychotherapists need another when faced with mental illness. they can not treat themselves.  Check this book out: "Recovery from Panic Disorder: A Therapist's Transformation as Both Patient and Healer "
To think that if you can't do it yourself , no one can, is self defeating.

The consensus amont researchers is that a chemical change in the brain contributes to these disorders. Some believe that the chemical change comes about from external stimuli; a personal loss, some traumatic event, etc.  This event triggers an emotion that triggers chemical changes in our brain.  The change gives birth to more emotional disturbances.  Psychotherapy can exert a change in the brain chemistry, just as some meds can.
You remember how your mood changes after venting and reading the responses here? There was a chemical change in your brain, even if temporary.
It is like the chicken or the egg...which comes first...the trauma or the chemical change? many think it is a cycle...event=change=depression=more change= mopre depression.
Please research the site by NARSAD..it gives insight on how they believe some of these disorders begin and become chronic.
Talking does change emotions, which then  can exert a  positive chemical change.
It is not the answer for everyone, but the researh shows it is for most.

My fear is always that you have to search for the right therapist and type of therapy. it is time consuming and distressing sometimes, and that is why drs reach for the script pad...in hopes of a quick response without
the therapy...but in the long run ...meds without therapy is a patch up job.
  It is also known that the wrong type of therapist can do more harm than good.    It is a big project to find the right person and med.
Engage the help of others in this quest, it would ease the stress it can generate,
again, don't lean too heavily on drugs to solve this chronic problem...a combination of therapies and dietary changes might bring better long term response.
best to you

Here are some good sites that will allow you to do your own research. My father is a retired Pharmacist and even at his peak and with all the continuing education he would check on anything he was not 100% sure of. But I find today the walmart Kmart pharmacist are lacking in the Hep-C meds also what to take and what not to.

http://www.rxlist.com/

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginformation.html

http://www.safemedication.com/

Good Luck

TonyZ
I see your point. Thank you for explaining it in those terms. And the example of how just by simply reading something here can change how I am feeling is the best example I've heard yet.

And the pharmacist sent a copy of a paper on hepatic effects of common AD's. Most cause increased liver enzymes at the least, the Tricyclic AD's can even cause hepatic failure. Most are also recommended at 50% dosage.
If I could read the report better (crappy faxed copy)
Sometimes the best advice is something you don't want to hear.

I was hoping for a magic pill - now I think that this change has to come from inside me.

I get more support and accurate information from this site than I ever have had from the DR's.
You guys are the best. Have a good weekend....

Thank you, love.   Enjoy the debates tonight...and everything else you can.
I meant to say that if I could read the report better, I would post it.
And thanks again califia, I will try to enjoy something/anything/everything!

what about welbutrin? is that safe? my doc said it is very safe. i asked a few others who have hepC and aslo on this and they say it is safe as well. i will tell ya, it helps alot!
I thought wellbutrin was one of the worst. I am going to stop by the pharmacy and get a better copy of the documentation that the pharmacy faxed to me. I wasn't having much luck on searching for this kind of info on the net.
And congrats on the still clear, I am so very happy for you, I can't imagine how good you must feel, thank God Bill.
I truly wish we could be your therapy, and all you need to get better, but we can't be.  What we are is the compliment to whatever direction you take in achieving your health. WHen I worked at the Crisis HL, we were like adjuvant therapy to one on one, meds and support groups. If the person did not continue his one on one, he could not call us, as we were not to be substituted for his therapy.
I did some research a while back in hopes to get answers for my schizoprenic/paranoid sister.  It is extremely sad to hear her speak about the people that have been building a "case" against her for 5 yrs, hiring helicopters to follow her and buying the police force in California. they even engaged the help of my brother and older sister. she only trusts her husband, kids, my mom and it seems, me.
She seemed well while on medication and therapy. But quit the therapist and sometime later, without the direction of the psychiatrist, decided to quit the meds also. now she is stumbling in the world of delusion, and believing there is nothing wrong with her, and certain that we will learn she was right all along, when she ends up in jail.
a good therapist will assist in redirecting negative behavior and thoughts in order to keep a balanced chemistry in the brain.  The meds assist with inmediate relief until the therapy has a chance to work.
I hope you can find someone you can connect with for the one on one, and a good support group.
Bad feelings do seem to be minimized as they exit our mind through our mouths, I don't know how it works, but it does.
Great advice, Cuteus.  One of  the best arguments I've ever seen for doing talk therapy.   Want2live,  I hope you'll bring it here before it gets that bad again, because there's something about telling our story and really being heard that restores our will to go on like nothing else.  

Living with this disease, on top of whatever other challenges each of us deals with, is very crazy making.   But this is it, the one life we have to live.   However long we have, whatever shape our liver is in when we leave,  we live our lives moment by moment.    Don't let anyone steal your laughter, babe.  When you see the abyss opening before you, throw flowers into it one by one.

The very religious (and mystical) Chasidic Jews entered the gas chambers dancing and singing in praise of life.   That's some act to follow, eh?
It took 2 years for me to finish withdrawal from Ativan. It was a nightmare beyond words. Four times more addicting than valium. The withdrawal is a living nightmare, practically a psychotic break. I urge anyone who MIGHT have any leaning toward addiction to steer clear of this "minor tranquilizer"
My Goodness...it is good to see you again.  How are you doing?
Many have asked about you...and I also have thought about you.
Hope all is going well for you.
hi this is the first time iv been on the site and read all the posts,and i understand a little bit more now.my dad has had hep c for 25 years now, and has tried interferon,unfortunately it didnt work it made him worse.as a daughter of a great man that has this i have tried to understand,and do understand alot of it but it is getting worse.he has good days and relly bad days, but the depression is getting worse and the anger is alot worse. my dad was never an anger man, but lately hes anger rages are getting worse and u can tell they are uncontrollable. i am hoping that someone can help..... the doc has just tried one antidepressant and he had a reaction that made him very sick. any help would be appreciated looking for any insight to help him have better days. it affects him daily and it affects everyone around him,desperately trying to find a answer to help with the emotion part of the disease,so he can live a happy life, PLEASE ANYONE ANY INSIGHT IS APPRECIATED.thanks again  
from a loving daughter  that needs help

Hi there...You have posted your question on a thread that is about 7 yrs. old. For a better response go to the  green "Post a question"  and start a new thread.

As far as your dad goes,it is hard to understand  by your question if his problems are related to HepC or not. Maybe add a little bit more info.about when he treated,at what stage his liver cond. is in and if he is seeing a Hepatologist currently for his condition.

Hope that helps some...

WILL
Hi new-sojourn,
I've been diagnosed as having been exposed to hep c, but I have not developed symptoms. I have trouble sleeping and have anxiety attacks when trying to fall asleep and they include severe convulsion-like muscle reflexes in my chest area around my heart. When I tell my California (free clinic type) doctor about them and ask for an anti-anxiety medicine, she (and all of them in the past as well) has said that I should try an anti-depressant. But I'm not depressed and I don't want to lose my sex drive and I don't want liver damage. When you say in the above message that marijuana tx doesn't cause the munchies, what do you mean by tx?
I too wish for living in a state that allows med grade marijuana - then maybe I could do that instead of the clonopin. I have Hepc C also but not bad enough for any treatments but my doc is now looking into the more liver friendly anti depressants also for me to take. I know it just takes time but crap sometimes they just don't realize u needit when u need it!!!!!!
thanks
jan
I am a psychologist who has trained physicians for 12 yrs.I also coauthored a medical textbook,  " management of the addicted patient in primary care" with my husband, and addiction psychiatrist.XANAX IS THE MOST ADDICTIVE & THEREFORE DANGEROUS BENZODIAZEPINE MADE! Its very short half-life causes individuals to become physically dependent in less than a week of daily use & then users of this med experience something called,"intradose withdrawal "--- they become extremely anxious ( the symptom that caused them to take the drug in the first place) in between there doses! I agree w/ sam; however,you do not have to have a severe mental illness to take _ativan for a few days, or klonopin for a longer period of time (its half-life is long so its easier to wean off it) if needed. The main thing to know about these medications is that if you've been taking them everyday 4 a substantial length of time, DO NOT JUST STOP TAKING THEM B/C WITHDRAWAL COULD CAUSE SEIZURES & DEATH (just as dependence on alcohol can cause death if the drinker stop drinking abruptly). In terms of pain medication, if you are dependent upon it and stop it abruptly, you won't die but she will feel like you want to! I hope that's helpful. By the way, the only antidepressant I know of that doesn't use a major metabolic pathway in the liver is Pristiq.
Thanks for the info on the SSRI's. I did my research and I brought it up to my primary doc and he says "Oh don't worry. All the drugs have those liver warnings on them." I'm on Cymbalta and it clearly states on the commercial not to take if you are prone to liver problems. I swear they lie to us just so they won't get sued.
I threw away all my anti-depresants, I found out that the treatment zaps testosterone levels and dr's don't even know, its insane, so once I started my testosterone my depression cleared up quick. I am taking neurontin though for bp problems cause of the treatment and that also helps alot. so no more depression for me, I am glad to becaue I am 2 yrs post treatment and was very depressed. Hope you find what works for you and anything you take is going to be hard on the liver oru bodies just aren't made to take loads of meds. One day at a time.
You take neurontin for blood pressure?  I understand it is used for treatment of epilepsy as well as nerve pain...  However, high blood pressure is listed as an uncommon side effect of neurontin...  (I take it for pain).  That sounds odd.
So I just read through this thread and I feel this is a safe place to share and vent a little bit .. Im currently in my 5th month of interferon treatment for Hep C  Geno Type 3a ..I was given the rundown by my free clinic doctor about the side effects of treatment now I have to be honest I was once very into my addiction but the the doctor who was treating me felt that after 4 years of being sober that it was safe to start my treatment ..After my second injection the side effects started to kick in and for the first time in many years I had real genuine anxiety from the treatment I would imagine not to mention the horrible mood swing I would have ...Anyways let me get my issue and this is a heads up for anyone that is considering Interferon treatment and may have been a recovering addict ..My experience for the past 5 months has been a nightmare I have been treated like the old me and have been very humiliated for the duration of my treatment I am doing well the treatment and that I am grateful for but I am not grateful for all the labeling that still seems to follow me years after my addiction anytime I need a refill for my Ativan its an issue from the doctors to the pharmacy ..Its really a crappy situation and so my heads up is this if your a recovering addict considering treatment be aware of the fact that when you really need a pain med for real genuine pain or an anxiety med because you feel like you hearts going to explode that you may have a hell of a time getting the medication you need to help you get through the tuff time on treatment ...I have 5 weeks to go and when I get better and im actually capable of standing up for myself again I plan on going into the clinic where I got treatment and give them a piece of my mind for treating me like a junkie which I am no where near I always have to remind them that I wasnt taking anxiety meds before treatment well yes I was but about 5 years ago totally different circumstances ...So if anyone can elaborate on being humilliated by your doctor or pharmacist giving you a hard time or just not giving much of a **** about your well being...Sorry yes I know my grammer ***** but I hope you get the point of what this topic is about someone please help out I need to know im not alone on this ****** situation
I was wondering how you are doing now? Sad that you were treated that way... It makes me sick how people think they know about you ( it does not matter what any NOSEY HEARTLESS ******* thinks) what gives anyone except the lord or god the right to JUDGE YOU! I hope you treatment worked for you and that today your life is better.
Amen, brother!!
If one does some serious research on benzos' addictive properties, one WILL find there is also suicide connected with these!
I have 'come off' Ativan and after fighting off seizures, with a LONG anxiety bout, depression set in and if it had not been for my strong faith in God, I might not be here right now.
These are HIGHLY fat-soluble and attach themselves to Gaba receptors in the brain.  Seein's as how the brain is almost entirely composed of fat...you guessed it, takes a while to get 'straight'.
I take lamictal 25 mg 1x a day, and klonopin .5 mg prn up to three a day.  Low doses, but really helpful!  I found out klonopin also helps with fluid retention, so that's an added bonus.  Lamictal I take as a mood stabilizer and klonopin for anxiety.  However, I tend to take 2 a night just before I go to sleep and I wake better. (Not anxious about the day.)

The other antidepressant my liver doc approved was Effexor because it helps with depression and anxiety and has a short life, and Xanax.  I was under the impression most liver docs will work with you re suggesting antidepressants and even have liver-friendly psychiatrists they routinely refer to.  Of course this would be typical in a large city setting (I'm in a Houston).

Not loosing weight, drinking plenty of water and following a healthy diet are also essential.  Liver disease in itself can cause depression.  However, a healthy diet is the groundwork for everything else. You can't do one without the other!  Good luck!
I like what you had to say...after reading all these posts, it jolts me back to my year of "talk" therapy.  It helped some weeks, but other weeks, it just seemed stupid and a waste of time, and then I was always kind of 'paranoid' that the therapist was judging me.  Since stopping that, I have gotten a little better depression-wise, but boy, oh boy, do I still have my days.  One thing I wanted to touch on relates to part of what you were saying, I had a huge scare last year during an annual liver scan, when they discovered a mass in my pancreas! of all places.  I really believe one thing that guided me through that crazy time was my own Mom's spirit (she passed away in '97), and I truly believe her spirit guided me to the small, short You Tube excerpts of the late Andreas Moritz.  He really talks a lot about natural ways to help yourself and also --A Huge one--that our livers are like our second brain, and the actual liver cells really change when our emotions change, especially Anger.  Since then, I have made a very conscious effort to kind of "go outside" of my body when I am down or angry, and survey myself.  I also really let it all out, I truly believe we should never stuff our emotions.  Andreas Moritz also wrote a book "The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Cleanse",  which I  have yet to do (am kind of scared), but his approach to both our bodies and medicine is to be your own best friend--he really helped me.  Q