Hepatitis C Community
Liver Function Tests

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Liver Function Tests

Dear friends well after i asked about the red handed and hot feet i decide to go and have some liver tests ok >> for ppl who dont know me i tested postitive to Hep.C antibodies ( in my original country they said i am negative but when i travelled to another country they tested m2 f0r 2 times and said i have anti-hvc anyway yesterday i went to the doctor and told him my story and he chicked me and make this tests Liver Function Tests and said your shape is good i mean eclinkcal shape from outside is good and the test results were this
Serum Bilirubin Totla 0.61   ( mg/dl ) nornal values (0.2 - 1.0 )
Serum GPT 23.0  U/I up to 36.0
Serum GOT 25.0  U/I up to 36.0
and he told me after 6 monthes come and i will send you to have PCR Qualititaive ..... so what do you think ???!!!!!!
I don't understand why the dr is waiting 6 months to do a PCR?  I would want to go ahead and do that test to rule out active hep?  Have you ever had a biopsy because red palms is a sign of liver damage.
like i posted in your thread earlier, red palms can mean liver damage but can mean other things as well. hope the tests you will have show no damage. best of luck to you.
Hi , well what i am asking if the liver enzimes is normal why do i have to do that biobsy i mean may be i do have only the anti-bodies right >>???? and by the way what is red palms ?!!! if you mean small red things grown in your hands or any  red things like that then no i dont have that what i mean by red handed is only red color hands  and it come and go ( now 4 example my hands is normal ) bare in mind that i travelled to another country which have a different climate than i have i mean very dry wheather  so what do u mean by red palms do you mean somthing like this www.emedicinehealth.com/images/4453/4453-13248-30934-31311.jpg or this www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/pictures22/dermatlas/hand_foot_mouth_1_011216.jpg
no i dont have it >> again plz explain my test enzimes level and that red palms you talk about ..... thanks alot
Thanks my friends well, i dont know what to do i mean when i were searching the net i see that lots of sites said that if you have a normal enzime levels you dont have to take the interferon or any cure , well ( they said that may be u will only carry the virus and it is not active but you can infect others ) so here is my questions that i need you to answer , first again what exactly is red palms ??? and  second what if i didnot take any medicine i mean what if my enzimes stay normal 4 ever do i have to fight that virus which not affect my enzimes ???!!!!! about biopsy i cant dont it now as i am in a forgin country and i have to wait untill i get back home and also i am afarid of do somthing like taking a piece of my liver which maybe is weak so i dont want to weak it more by taking a piece of it to scan it . so if there another symtoms (symptoms) or any way that  can show me if i have a liver damage or not without doing the biopsy ( beside the red palms which i dont know what is that yet ) .....
Thanks for your time
hep c does not always show up as high liver enzymes, mine were always normal and I was chronically infected.  He could have done a PCR now and another one in 6 months.
The doc is probably doing like Rev said (if he thinks you have an acute infection, it is  possible you could clear.)  He could do a PCR now, but there are reasons (cost and because waiting six months won't make any difference as far as any possible treatment recommendations) he is possibly opting to wait the six months to see what might happen between now and then.  It would be considered standard of care if he does wait six months, and so - he can wait and be totally OK on his end.  If you want to know more now, ask him to do the PCR now  (tell him you want to know now.)  If he won't, well - in light of your OK bili and SGPT / SGOT, he's OK not to (and you will probably be OK between now and when he tests you again in six months.)  Frustrating - yes, but that's the way some doctors are.  Red palms can mean liver disease.  You can always call another doc to see if they will test you now.  Some might.  Best of luck.  
Hi Medo.  Red palms is called "palmar erythema" (that is the medical term for it.) It can be caused from a number of things.  In your case, it may be from liver disease; it may not be.  I had palmar erythema in 1979 and 1980 (five years after a case of acute hepatitis.)  I had no idea what it was; I've not had red palms since.  I've got liver disease, though, 32 years worth.  I have had normal enzymes this entire time, too, but I had fibrosis (liver disease) on biopsy.  

There is disagreement about whether people with normal ALTs should be treated.  Some docs believe that people with Hep C with persistently normal ALTs have less severe liver disease than those with abnormal ALTs and that disease progression in this group is not AS common.  (that's where you're getting the "normal ALT / don't treat" theory.)  

On the flip side of that, biopsies in those with normal ALTs HAVE revealed fibrosis and even cirrhosis, and so the recommendations are going to vary from doc to doc based on what theory the doc practices by.  The decision to treat or not should be individualized and based on the severity of liver disease (and someone with chronic Hep C usually needs a baseline LIVER BIOPSY to determine that.)

Once you get back home to the states (or wherever home is), you need to get under the care of good liver doctor and be followed by them.  Tell them your concerns about a biopsy and about treatment.  Ask him if there are other tests he can do on you other than a biopsy that will help determine the shape your liver is in.    

Hope this helps some.  Best of luck to you.