Hepatitis C Community
Liver Problems...Need answers

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Liver Problems...Need answers

I have an enlarged liver. My blood work is normal. I also had a Liver, Needle Biopsy done. It only showed that something was definitely irritating my liver. I have no insurance (my husband is disabled, and I am working part time at this time) and I am seeing a doctor at a Charity Clinic. My doctor told me that I should get Insurance. He said I needed to see a Transplant Liver Specialist. The Clinic does not have this Specialist. I am trying to get Insurance at work. I am told that I will have an eighteen month pre-existing waiting period. If you could give me any advice I would really appreciate it. This is results of my Liver, Needle Biopsy:

Sections show hepatic parenchyma with preserved architecture. No steatosis is present.  Some of the portal triads contain a mild lymphocytic infiltrate which is confined to the portal triads. No active hepatocyte destruction or cholangitis is observed.  Glycogenation of nuclei is present and there is focal lipofuscin pigment.  Trichrome and reticulin stains do not reveal increased fibrosis.  No stainable iron is present.  The findings are non-specific.  Correlate clinically.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  We are very confused as to what needs to be done or should be done.  We have been through so many doctors (due to the Charity system), which we are blessed to at least have this, but this makes it hard to get good, consistent answers.
my daughter has been dias with hepc , she has no insurance, and i am sure no one will touch her now, she has blisters coming out on her hands, they are very painful. please some one tell me how to help her
                                                             thank you
                                                 ***@****
There are quite a few things that can cause inflammation and fibrosis or scaring of the liver. It doesn’t look (at casual glance) that you have developed any significant fibrosis yet; this is good. You should try to obtain insurance, and go from there; there are too many possibilities to consider without a complete medical history, etc.

Good luck to you,

Bill
While your biopsy is not perfectly normal, it does not appear that you need to see a transplant doctor. They are not seen until patients have quite a bit of fibrosis (scarring) in the liver. If your clinic will treat you, you should be able to get the medication for free from the pharmaceutical company that makes it. Ideally you would have insurance and be able to find a gastroenterologist or hepatologist but if this is not to be, you can still be treted with a doctor willing to follow up. Perhaps a clinical trial would be another means for you to pursue.
The original post on this thread is from 2002.