Hepatitis C Community
Liver Toxic Meds
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Liver Toxic Meds

One more Question if you guys don't mind.  And I appreciate all of you bearing with me.  Since I appear to be in the acute phase of HepC and my liver is prob inflamed, I'm a little worried about my regular meds.  I am a migraineur so I am on a lot of medication for that, plus I take anti-depressants and meds for my anemia.  I am a little worried that at least one of my meds might be toxic for my liver (not before when my liver was ok, but now that my liver is in a more fragile state).  I am going to list them for you to see if anyone knows if I should be concerned about any of these if you don't mind?

Wellbutrin - 300mg day
Lexapro - 20mg day
Topamax - 400mg day (this is the one I am a little worried about)
Micardis HCT 80/25 1x day
Adderall (adderrall) 30mgXR 2x day
epogen (as needed) sub q injections
--------------------------------------------
prn medications:
hydrocodone
relpax
phenergan
xanax

That's all of the regular ones.  Thanks -
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Here's a great link that tells you all the medications that damage your liver.  Hope this helps.

http://janis7hepc.com/drugs_that_cause_liver_damage.htm
Blank
186606_tn?1263513790
the only ones i can help you on is lexapro and xanax.

if you are not in late stage fibrosis or ESLD, if you need to take something you'll probably be able to.

HOWEVER, I have no  knowledge of Topa, Micardis, Adderall (adderrall), hydrocodone, relpax, phenergan, SO GRAINT OF SALT.  all of those worry me a little bit for liver toxicity esp. if you are in acute hep c right now.
Blank
135456_tn?1301441224
Welbutrin is a known liver toxin.
Blank
does ESLD mean early stage liver disease?  and how does one know if your in the acute stage or chronic stage?    I also take Lexapro and Xanax when needed.
Blank
alagirl,
With each medication you should receive an info sleeve that lists sides and contraindications of that med. You should also google each one. As stacy  has posted, Janice is very good site. Make sure you're being tx by a Hepatologist or a very good Gastroenterologist.

Stacy,
ESLD=End Stage Liver Disease. Acute is generaly your first 6 months of being infected. By then, either your own immune system clears the virus or it then goes into chronic stage.  
Blank
what part of ala? jm
Blank
I see half the meds I took during tx on Janis's list, yet 4 months post tx I remain UND.  I think you needn't freak out when a drug you must have is listed.  Talk to your doctor and use good sense.  Sometimes you'll be sicker without your necessary prescriptions.  I used Wellbutrin, atenolol, and daily steroid inhalers for asthma plus cortisone skin cream without ill effects.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...