Hepatitis C Community
Liver Transplant w/o being treated for HepC?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I have hepC for 30 yrs and cannot take treatment. Now I have Cirrhosis. My MELD is 8,but since I can't take treatment can I still get a transplant? HepC from blood transfusion in the 80's. My body is not strong enough to do treatment.

Any info will help.Thanks
Annmatt,
Hi. I am sorry to hear about your health status. But the good news is you have beginning cirrhosis and there are more options available to you then someone with more advanced cirrhosis.

Yes, You are eligible for a liver transplant with hepatitis C. In fact, patients with hepatitis C are the largest group of all patients with liver disease who need transplants.

You need to get an appointment with a liver transplant center near you as soon as possible. A hepatologist (liver specialist) and their team of doctors are the only ones that can help you with your liver disease now.
If you tell me where you live I can tell you of the transplant centers near you and how to get seen and get your current health status evaluated.

Who told you you can't do treatment?
Also the good news is, that most people with a MELD score of 8 (very early cirrhosis) can still treat their hepatitis C unless you have other serious diseases. Only a transplant center can determine if you are healthy enough to undergo hepatitis C treatment after being fully evaluated.

The Model for End-Stage Liver Disease (MELD) is a numerical scale,ranging from 6 (less ill) to 40 (gravely ill), used for liver transplant candidates age 12 and older. It gives each person a ‘score’ (number) based on how urgently he or she needs a liver transplant within the next three months.

I have have advanced cirrhosis and liver cancer due to hepatitis C. I am currently waiting for a liver transplant. I have also cleared my hepatitis C so I should never have hepatitis C again after my transplant.

Hang in there.
Good luck!
Hector
Hector said it all. You have beginning Cirrhosis. Unless you have some other health concern, you can and should treat your Hep C to try to stop the virus from causing further liver damage. You should see a hepatologist re your Hep C since you have Cirrhosis, but your liver still functions well, so you're not sick enough for a transplant.
My MED score is 9 and I'm on tx, week 15. I became UND  at week 12. Waiting for SVR, will know results at week24. Still have another 34 weeks to go until end of tx. Yes, I think you should see a specialist to discuss the treatment. Good luck !
Thank you for the info. I have tried treatment and got very ill and had to go to ER with some damage to Kidney and pancreas so Dr said my body is not strong enough to take treatment. Even the new treatment he recomened that I not take it,so my Hepc has gone untreated and yes I do have other illness,diabetes,spinal stenosis and arthuritus.

I live in PA and I go to Hershey Medical in Hershey,Pa.I do have alot of questions for my next visit in May. But I wanted to know it someone else was going through simular problems.

God Bless You