Hepatitis C Community
Liver and red palms

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Liver and red palms

I could not find anything on UK forums as well informed as this one.  Have taken to drinking a few large glasses of wine each night (2 yesrs),my husband has noticed my palms are red but not only that my skin flushes red and starts itching most days. Have a pain in upper abdomen right hand side.  Could any of these symptoms be to do with liver?  Also have Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism (auto immune under active thyroid).  There appears to very knowlegable guys on this forum, please any ideas?

Everley
  • red palms (9 replies):
    I keep hearing about red palms on the forum. What is th...[more]
  • Red Palms (4 replies):
    What causes red palms if you have Hep C? Most of the re...[more]
  • red hands (6 replies):
    I still have 2 weeks before my doc appt. I noticed the ...[more]
  • Red Palms (3 replies):
    I know I have read somewhere about red palms related to ...[more]
  • red palms not going away (10 replies):
    i'm 3 months post tx and i've still got red palms. of c...[more]
do you have hepatitis? red palms are a sign of liver disease but can be other things such as hormone imbalance. i would get blood work with liver panals including hepatitis. also ultrasound looking at liver and gallbladder for the urq pain.
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are having troubles. I'd follow copymans' advice in the post above. I'd also stop alcohol until you get to the bottom of this. If it turns out you do have a liver problem, alcohol is the first thing to eliminate. It is  hard on your liver. Your symptoms, especially the itching, can be a sign of liver problems. Red palms can be caused by liver damage but as copyman points out, it can have other causes too.
I'd have your liver evaluated, test for hepatitis B and C and go from there. Try not to worry too much until you have more info.
Avatar n tn
These symptoms could be anything. You could be suffering from Rosacia (Spelling?). This is a fancy word for blushing which can be worsened by drinking alcohol, especially red wine. Also upper pain in the abdomen could be many things. Could just be indegestion. So don't overreact and worry, just see a doctor and rule out the worst. Unless you think you are at risk for hepatitis, get an overall blood test (CBC) and see what the results are.
"Red palms can be caused by liver damage but as copyman points out, it can have other causes too."

Roger that! And I ain't talking carrying ice cream tubs...

<hr>

Everly, with those symptoms, I wouldn't get myself worked up. If you're experiencing concern about your wine consumption, well that alone maybe says you should cut down - even if only to alleviate your worry, doncha think? Why not stop for a while, give yourself break, and get a work-up from the doc? Like I said, I wouldn't stress. Just follow-up before too long.

Avatar n tn
I would like to thank all of you who took the time and trouble to reply to "Liver and red palms".  I will cut out wine and see my doc.,again thanks, it meant a lot to me here in the UK.
Everley
Avatar n tn
Just aother thought to the others.Since you do have an autoimmune disease,when you see your doc and if he does blood labsyou may wat to have him check for autoimmune disease that effect your liver if he feels its warranted.(autoimmune hepatitis,primary billary cirrhosis,etc) As others have said it may be othing or only something minor, the only way to know for sure is to check it out with you doc and if you feel he isnt doing enough get a second opinion.           Mfife31
JesusSon added the Complete Blood Count Tracker
JesusSon added the Hepatitis C Tracker
clean_in_ks commented on photo
Track your weight over time