Hepatitis C Community
Liver biopsy grade 2 stage 2

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Liver biopsy grade 2 stage 2

Thanks to all who responded to my post. This site has been a godsend. There are times that I wish I had the power to remove this illness from my son and carry the burden for him. He is young and should not have to go through this! I'm concerned that his disease has advanced so rapidly. Grade 2 STAGE 2 AT THE AGE OF 28. He may have contacted the HepC approx. 10 years ago. Is anyone here at that stage? How long have you had hepC? How serious is this stage? Next week is his 3 month post treatment pcr. Keep us in your prayers
I am 29 and have stage 2, grade 2 disease also. I am not entirley sure how long I have had HCV, it could be anything from 5 years to 3.
I was told I was in the best group for not having any significant damage with being female, and young!
From what I've read, this stage and grade is worse than mild, but not severe - sort of stuck in no mans land really!
I was told I should try treatment.
I found this which probably explains better than me;

The degree of liver damage measured from a liver biopsy is scored in stages:

Stage I—In the earliest stage of liver damage, the liver is inflamed (immune cells called lymphocytes are present), but scarring has not yet occurred. There is little damage to the liver at this point.
Stage II—In this early stage of liver damage, the liver is inflamed, and mild scarring (fibrosis) has begun to form.
Stage III—In this stage, scar tissue from one area of the liver bridges (connects) to scar tissue from other areas, leading to advanced fibrosis.
Stage IV—In this advanced stage of liver damage, cirrhosis (advanced scarring) has occurred. At this point, the degree of damage to the liver is more serious.

Good luck ;-)
I am in stage 1, grade 2. and I am currently in treatment about 4 months.  I was told I have Fibrosis.  I am a 46 year old female and was diagnosed when I was 29 after donating blood at a blood drive at my job.  I think I might have contacted it when I was 19 when I got my first tatoo, but I am not sure and there is no way of knowing for sure.  I refused treatment for many years due to being in denial and lack of information.  But I always maintained a healthy life style, I am a competitive athlete who races in marathons, triathlons and eats well, drinks plenty of water, takes lots of vitamins and does not drink alcohol at all.  I quite smoking cigarettes when I was 32 and became an athlete.  I am hoping for the best with this treatment.

Crushie
I am stage 2 level 1 and have had it 30 years, strange how this disease will progress in different people.
The system which my pathologist followed showed a grade of 6 out of max 18 and stage 3. what does that mean?
what does stage one mean? i was just diagnose with hep c and what is 1a. i am clueless about this. i will start the interferon with ribavirin after the class what should i expect
1a is the particular genotype of your virus. Unfortunately type 1 is the most difficult to treat and the most common in North America.

Stage refers to the condition of your liver on biopsy (a needle to take a sample of liver tissue which is microscopically examined for damage). Stage 1 is mild fibrosis, which is the beginning of damage and the precursor to more sever liver disease. Stage 4 (cirhossis) means that damage to the liver has progressed to cirhossis, or scarring and death of liver cells. Stage 4 is very serious and is not generally reversible. Patients in Stage 4 will usually require a liver transplant.

Many doctors will not recommend treatment (TX) with interferon while the damage to the liver is negligible. They will wait until bridging fibrosis begins. It usually takes many years for disease to progress from Stage 1 to more advanced stages, so don't panic. The condition should be monitored regularly so that it does not advance beyond where it can be treated.

Go ahead and start a new thread with any questions you may have. You'll find helpful people here. Also, there is the Social Forum (see link at top f this page) where you can chat with others that are experiencing or have experienced treatment.

To your health :)

Brent
I am a 32 yr old male, sober for over 7 years.  diagnosed with HCV genotype 2b about a month ago.  Biopsy Stage 2 grade 2.  Should I begin treatment? any advice? Will meet with specialist on August 6 for a post biopsy follow up.
thanks
I was diagnosed with Hec C, genotype 2b in May 2002 when I was 49 years old.  My liver biopsy was stage 2 grade 2.  My viral load was 618,154 IU (mild).  My ALT levels ranged from 60 to 75 U/L.  I was treated with Peginterferon alfa-2b (120mcg/0.5kit 0.4 1XW) weekly injections and Ribavirin (Rebetol 200 mg 2BID) for 24 weeks.  The first 3 months of treatment were easy.  During the last 3 months, I had terrible chronic fatigue and insomnia that were worse than before the treatment.  During the treatment my ALT tests remained at slightly elevated levels (<80 U/L).  After the treatment, my viral load was undetectable and is still undetectable 5 years later.  That was great except that the side effects, particularly chronic fatigue and insomnia, never went away and are still much worse than before the treatment.  The CDC National Center for HIV/AIDS/Viral Hepatitis website:

http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/DISEASES/HEPATITIS/c/faq.htm#3f

indicates that the interferon treatment can cause liver damage.  My serum liver panel tests taken last week were all normal so my doctor say that my liver is fine.  However, I have severe chronic fatigue, insomnia, highly sensitive to all medications, cannot tolerate alcohol, and have constant mental fatigue to a much greater degree than before I began the interferon treatment.  All of these symptoms are related to liver disease, so I am perplexed by the results of my blood tests.  I have been managing these symptoms with intensive aerobic exercise and diet restrictions and I’ve been able to work 40 hours a week at a professional job.  However, I'm about to quit at age 55 because it has become too much.  I had one doctor that said that less than 10% of interferon patients have long-term problems.  I have a type A personality (already had GERD before the Hec C) and it's possible that the treatment just overstressed me.  My advice to you is to ask your doctor a lot of questions about potential complications and remember that there are many risks from not treating your Hep C.  If you go forward with the treatment and the side effects become substantially worse, I suggest that you tell your doctor to reduce the dosage as recommended by the cdc.  Good luck.
Like your son, I contracted Hep C around the age of 20 and then treated 38 years later at age 58. During those 38 years I progressed from stage 0 (no liver damage) to around stage 3 (signficant liver damage).

Because I am now SVR (cured) I can reasonably expect my liver damage to revert back a couple of stages, perhaps to stage 1. In fact, a Fibroscan four months post treatment showed me at a low stage 2.

Since your son started at stage 2 (moderate liver damage) I think it's reasonable to believe he may revert back to stage 1 (or better) should treatment be successful.

My liver specialist now considers my liver to be "normal" for all practical purposes. So based on that, your son's liver should be even better than normal with SVR.

All the best luck with his post tx 3 month PCR. But even if he isn't lucky, statistically he still has a ways to go before he has significant liver damage -- and very hopefully by that time the newer drugs will be on the market to take care of all that.

-- Jim

Please help me!! I'm 35 years old I found out Septmeber 4,2008 that I have HEP C. My mom also has HEP C and had it befor I was born. So they think I have had this my whole life. My liver biopsy came back
grade 3 stage 4. I don't understand??? I meet with my Doc on tuesday
but from what I have read I'm really sick. But I feel fine. Will I be OK!!
i had test done 2years ago was told i was grade 2 and stage 2, but was not given an option to start treatment, why! after reading comment many at this stage have
To Fantasy:
I don't know if this helps, but I've been diagnosed with Grade 2 Stage 2, but I don't have Hep C.  They're not sure why mine has developed.  I drank, but not for an extended amount of time, just like a year or two.  I'm on treatment that the doc says I'll be on forever, and I've had to lose weight.  We're just hoping it works.
To Cassy 91:
I'm so sorry.  You'll be in my prayers.  Just do EXACTLY what the doctors tell you.  Don't make the mistake that I did.  I did exactly what the docs told me unilt my tests came back good.  When they did, I went into a denial and stopped taking my medication completely.  Needless to say, it was a LOT harder road to bring my levels BACK down.  It's almost like by doing that, I made things worse, and made my disease harder to battle.  They're still not completely down, but at least they're going in the right direction.  I pray that they can do something about yours.
Lori
I was just diagnosed with NASH, grade2-stage 3.  Drs say there is no treatment, just changing lifestyle to slow progession.  Anyone with this diagnosis, please let me know your experience.  
Hi - You are on an old post.. Try asking again by starting your own thread - post question - bottom left.  People with experience will help you.

Best of luck
I was just Dx with NASH grase2- stage 3.  Dr say ther is no tx, just lifestyle change to slow progression.  Anyone with Dx, please let me know your experience.  Thanks Anne for letting me know I was in thw wrong area.
You still might be.   If you copy what you just wrote,  go " back to forum,"  look at the bottom where it says  "post a question" and then paste you question there, you will have your own spot !!!
Or try going to the *top* of page, and click on the green ‘post question’ button to start your own thread. I’m not sure too many folks here are familiar with NASH; this group leans heavily toward Hepatitis C. Good luck-

Bill
I am a 37 year old female...type I diabetic that has recently, still in the hospital been diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver Stage 2. I am not a drinker no hep history so I am just seeking information to help educate myself. I am going in tomorrow for the banding of the varacies and I am scared to death. I was brought to the hospital for vomiting blood and they are unable to keep my hemoglobin up and the belly swelling down. Any information would help me so very much!

Hi there...sorry to hear of the problems you are having. personal I don"t have much experience with cirrhosis complications.however there are some here who do,so hopfully they will chime in.

You have posted on a very old thread ,so for it to been seen by more folks  go to the green "post a question button " at the top of the page and post your question there.

Good luck to you and I hope the procedure tommorow goes well for you....

Will.

I had a liver biopsy which showed that I was in stage 2, my question is should I do the latest treatment of wait for the newer stuff to be approved?
Hello and welcome to the forum.

First, if you will repost this question in a new thread, it will probably get more responses. More people pay attention to new threads than very old threads. Go towards the top of the page and click on the orange box "Post a Question".

Second, in your new post in a new thread, please give us as much information as possible: your age, your biopsy result (stage 2), your Genotype, how long you have had Hep. C, if you have treated before or if you have never treated and what happened if you did, any other medical problems, etc. People will be able to respond better if they know a little more about you.

This is a great forum and people are very willing to help if they can. I am sure you will get more responses if you start a new thread.
I am in stage 2 hep c my c count is rising the doctors say the liver will never get better just trying to stabilize it. now I must get an mri for the liver to see the very little cysts if any in the liver ,at my rate of progression I have 5 years left or transplant  very nervous,always retaining water ?I am at my end?
wait for match? please advise
      Charles Williams
This is an old thread. It might be best to post a new one of your own.

What you've written doesn't make sense to me. Stage 2 fibrosis would not have you retaining fluid. This sounds more like decompenasted cirrhosis.
The very best advice I can offer is for you to find an experienced liver specialist, a hepatologist.
They can run tests and explain the condition of your liver, possibly giving you medicine to help with your symptoms.

Also, restrict yourself to a low salt diet and no red meat.

Good luck,
OH
A person with stage 2 doesn't doesn't usually have any symptoms or complications from liver disease. An MRI is not usually perform on patients with hepatitis C stage 2 liver disease. You have to have reached stage 4 liver disease to have an increased risk of liver cancer.

Liver cysts are usually harmless. They are found in 5% of the population. Only 5% of these people have any symptoms. A liver cyst is simply a cavity in the liver, having a thin outer wall, and often, though not always, filled with a fluid. Liver cysts are usually small and rarely cause problems, unless for some reason they become large enough to cause pain or blockages.

Retaining water? Where? Abdomen, ankles, feet, low legs?

Who said you have 5 years left?

You need to see a hepatologist who specializes in liver disease. The information you provided really makes no logical sense. You need a correct diagnosis before you make any decisions about treating your hep C. The best doctors on liver disease are found at liver transplant center near where you live. I would get a referral to be seen there ASAP. You may be worrying for nothing or you may have more advance disease than you know. A educated patient can make the best choices for their own health.

Good luck.
Hector

You have cirrhosis of the liver that is defined as stage 4, not stage 2 liver disease.
You have the two most common  complications of  advanced cirrhosis, bleeding varices and ascites (fluid build up the abdomen. Both of these complications can be life-threatening.

You need to find the cause of your liver damage. So you can manage these complications as best you can.

You have every advanced liver disease. You need to take action now that you still can. You should get a referral to the nearest transplant center to where you live. The hepatologists there are the only doctors qualified to treat someone as ill as you are. This could be a life and death decision and should be taken very seriously. Without the proper diagnosis and treatment your liver will continue to get worse and worse until you liver fails to function. You need to be seen as list for a liver transplant. If you don't get a transplant and your liver fails you won't liver any longer.
You are very young as most needing transplants are in their 50s.

Here is a link to find out more about cirrhosis
http://bestpractice.bmj.com/best-practice/monograph/278/diagnosis/step-by-step.html

Here is a link to learn more about liver transplant.

http://hopkins-gi.org/GDL_Disease.aspx?CurrentUDV=31&GDL_Cat_ID=024CC2E1-2AEB-4D50-9E02-C79825C9F9BF&GDL_Disease_ID=9ED2FD73-51A1-49E1-B77A-D4B753B384AD

Good luck!
hector

I am at stage 3 level t2 and have few to little symptoms. Mild irritation and some swelling. No other real indications. I am 57 years old and the doctors tells me I could  / would most likely die with it, not of it. I have seen a specialist at Shands Hosp in Florida who is a specialist in this field.
Either your level and stage is a lot more advanced that the stage 2 you mentioned, or you may need to speak to someone more qualified.