Hepatitis C Community
Liver disease and medical marijuana

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Liver disease and medical marijuana

I need to know if medical marijuana well cause more of a problem with my liver disease. I have Cirrhosis caused from Hep C. They say I no longer have the Hep C virus what I do have is NASH. So will medical marijuana help my liver? I was told medical marijuana was good for liver disease. Is that true?  Will the medical marijuana help with the illness?  
Medical marijuana is commonly used to treat the symptoms (such as nausea or lack of appetite) of a disease it does not change the disease itself. Only by treating the underlying condition causing your liver disease (NASH) will you prevent further damage to your liver. If the underlying condition can't be managed the liver will become so damaged it can't recover and you will need a liver transplant. You have already treated your hepatitis C so it will no longer cause more damage to your liver which is excellent!

Depending on how advanced your cirrhosis is you may need to be listed for a liver transplant. If you are taking medical marijuana you will not be listed for a liver transplant until you stop. Some people have died waiting for a liver transplant that they couldn't get because they were taking marijuana in one form of another.

Please educate yourself about your cirrhosis. Cirrhosis can be a life-threatening illness so the more you know the better you will be able to help yourself. Get the best care you can before your cirrhosis becomes irreversible. The best help can be found at liver transplant centers where the have doctors that work daily with cirrhotic patients helping them to manage their liver disease.

Since you have cirrhosis I trust that you are having surveillance every 6 months for liver cancer?

Good luck to you!
Hector