Hepatitis C Community
Liver panel

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Liver panel

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE is 166 they say this is high what does this mean.  
i guess looking back at all labs this has always been slightly elevated 135 to most recent 166 (now have online access to all labs)  so this goes before taking procrite. i didn't look at pre-tx meds.

should this high result have any significant meaning to me?
I can only tell you stuff pre-tx, but I had that elevated a few times, and the doc told me it wasn't any big deal, I'll be curious to hear your feedback, hope oure well...
http://www.drkaslow.com/html/alkaline_phosphatase.html

i found this link, have a hard time understanding clearly, though it is well explained here.   for example is 166 acid or alkaline?

my dr/RN never mentioned this as being high. i was told i had no liver damage based on bloodwork and ultrasound, but it seems above link says that this is a sign of blockage. among other things.

still anyother opinions?
hi, had a look at your data there...I'd maybe ask my doc about this, when mine was elevated, it was just by a few points...course it's prob a whole other ball of wax while youre treating...seeing my doc on Monday and I'll ask him about it if it's any help...he's a big muckity muck in the hepatitis biz...
i would appreciate if you would ask your high profile person.  not that i  don't have a doctor. but when i told them i was done. no information given except followup bloodwork scheduled.  so i don't even have an appt. to see how i am doing lets say a month from now... just done.
based on reading above link, i am wondering if there is something that one can do to achieve a ph balance. or if it is even relevant. but it seems that high numbers can affect bone growth due to the unbalance, thus leading to increased risk of osteoporosis???  i wonder what other tests they would run to rule out causes.
thank you feel a litte better but can't seem to get past the basic daily living stuff. the weather has been so beautiful for weeks and i do not feel like enjoying it. that sounds stupid doesn't it.
i am not feeling well today. (got more bloodwork in everything that was normal last time is out of range (wbc, neutrophils and stuff), which reflect the infection i am dealing with hard to sit here before the computer, but  i looked at that link above i didn't realize it was likely from some alternative med source. still i thought the information was clearly stated. i read the link below on the google search as well. from what i gleaned from both sites i guess this number could either be meaningless or in combination with other numbers on labwork could give more information to the dr.  i guess i must have fell in the meaningless category since my dr. never brought forth for discussion.
yeah, what I know about blood chemistry you could fit into a bug's eye, but I just think some of these values are off sometimes, and it isn't *always* a big deal...has a lot to do with trends, one person's normal vs. another, or just a wonky lab reading that day, etc etc...I'll certainly ask him on Monday, I might ask a seperate question on the board as to what questions I should ask him? If I've missed any....he's harder to see then the Mayor, cept when youre actually treating...sorry youre having a bad day, maybe a nice walk or something enjoyable? hope you feel better soon...
Mine were above that the entire time and now have levelled out post treatment.

While normally it can mean things during treatment I guess it doesn't really.

I too have a raised level of 166. Ive had 4 liver function tests and 2 have been 167, one at 185 and the most recent 166. I'd be interested to know what your doctor says because at the moment I am worrying myself silly. I really want to know what is going on with my body.
AST and ALT are usually the important liver enzyme tests. I often visit an online lab tests website. Here's the link for complete blood count explanations:

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/cbc/glance.html

I also looke up the Alkaline Phosphate test and what it's used for. I copied this info also.
"In some forms of liver disease, such as hepatitis, ALP is usually much less elevated than AST and ALT. When the bile ducts are blocked (usually by gallstones, scars from previous gallstones or surgery, or by cancers), ALP and bilirubin may be increased much more than AST or ALT. In a few liver diseases, ALP may be the only test that is high."
Doesn't mean you have anything wrong, it's probably a side of tx. Knew youwere sick, but you have upper resp. not symptoms of blocked bile duct.
Hugs,
Bug
thank you bug for posting and looking up stuff and all. its so funny 3 days ago and that question worry is so far behind me already. which is good.

just wish these stupid sides would go away (much like the little links that somehow disappeared).

i am getting over the respiratory something, and like you hopefully nighttime
sleep will find me.

or at minimum we could find the little missing links. so we won't experience late night confusion and besides i miss them so.
hugs back to ya.