Hepatitis C Community
Looking for Real supports groups in Los Angeles

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

This is a needed site and I am glad its here, but I'm looking for support groups here in the L.A. area, or Pasadena or San Fernando Valley areas as well. Any body know of any? Thanks, adoubter
oh that's great news about your Doc...Yes, it is very good you made that appointment and didn't settle for the gastro you have...

I am a bit anxious about my bx, but I know it is necessary so just trying to put it out of my mind as much as possible...Bob is home and we are going to take the boat out of the water shortly...I always get down when we do that because it is the first preparation of the long dreaded winter months...

je suis  "the dip"
Go to liverfoundation.org.  Look under "Chapters", then "Support Groups".  There appear to be several in your area.  DJ
there you are!!!  how you doing today?

Beth
Doing well.  Bowling (again!) this am.  Just wanted to tell you that I googled my new doc at the med school, and he sounds great!  He's a contributing editor at HIVandHCV.com, has many published articles on HCV and is involved in clinical trials.  I think his area of interest is relapsers and nonresponders, which I certainly hope not to be, but good to know just in case.  I'm just soooo glad I decided to make that appt.  I feel better already, and am actually looking forward to my January appt.  Hope you're not getting too anxious over your Mon bx.  I just know that you will do great & get a good result.  The power of positive thinking!!!  DJ
I know of one in Burbank, at St. Josephs hospital, right accross the street from NBC studios. It met the first Wednesday of every month , nice people there. It's listed in that listing that has already been given to you on this thread, so if it isnt there, perhaps they are not meeting there anymore, or ask if the venue and time have been changed. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the headsup! adoubter
Please post if you decide to go to the meeting in Burbank, would love to know if it's still viable. (and you can always ditch it and go see Jay Leno instead if you want to, he he he, just kiddin')
Try the ALF's (American Liver Foundation) website. On their page they will ask for the state and then look on the top of the page where they list support groups. Keep in mind these are groups sponsored by ALF. Try calling your local hospital and asking the gastro's in your area...you can also call Scherling and Roche, they often know of groups because they send "reps" to them as speakers. Good luck.
Went to the the site you posted and got "error" couldn't get it.
Went to  the site you posted and got "error" couldn't get it.
Found this book on a website:

The Hepatitis C Help Book: A Groundbreaking Treatment Program Combining Western and Eastern Medicine for Maximum Wellness and Healing, Misha Ruth Cohen, Robert G., M.D Gish, Kalia Doner (Contributor), St. Martins Press, 2000

Haven't looked for it online yet, but sounds interesting.  Heading for the gym now, then grocery shopping.  Just got the call that hubby is on his way home.  TTYL
This seems as good a thread to break into as any, since the subject is "Support".   I'm just curious as to how you chose your supplement regimen and what works best for you.  Was it: research supported; trial & error; word of mouth; physician advised; consultation with CAM providers; all of the above?  I am grade 3, stage 1 and not yet treating.  I have appt with hepatoligist in January, and am hoping that he will be open-minded enough to at least discuss waiting until better tx options are available.  In the meantime, I want to do as much as I can to minimize inflammation and keep my liver healthy.  I'm just not sure where to start with supplementation.  Any advice, comments will be appreciated.  

Disclaimer:  I KNOW that someday I will need conventional treatment to kill the virus.  In the meantime......see above.

DJ
Hey Janet *s*

I can tell you mine if you like...I took some of the things that Susan had posted in the past, showed the list to my Doc and he said that everything I was taking was okay except for the vitamin E...Apparently there was a study done that showed negative data on E but I still take it...All I can say is since I have been taking the vitamins (May-05) some of my symptoms are better...

milk thistle
Vit E
Selenium
Garlic "odorless caps"
Multi called Green Source without iron
Vitamin C

and had been taking sam-e but I am stopping it now due to wheezing...

Have a great day....Beth
I know you have a lot of joint pain.  Have you looked into glucosamine-condroitin with MSM, or just MSM?  I take it along with Sam-E, and it really helps me.  I can tell the difference in my joints when I stop taking it.  I have a friend in Colorado, a 70+ gentleman, who takes 8-10 MSM capsules daily.  He also walks/runs 4-6 miles a day, and is one of the most active, healthiest-looking people "of a certain age" that I know.  (Just a little anecdote.)  As far as I know, there is no liver contraindication for g-c or MSM.  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!   DJ
what's MSM?
MSM - Methylsulfonylmethane.*  Had to check the label for that one!  The only warning on the label is do not use if allergic to shellfish or sulfur.  Think the shellfish part applies to the g-c.  I think I read somewhere that the g-c is made from fish cartilage??  

*Pretty darn sure it has nothing to do with methamphetamine.  :)

hmmmmmm never heard of MSM before, maybe I will give it a try...what I would really love to find is something that will stop this dang liver pain...I know milk thistle works to reduce inflammation in liver, but I take that and still get the dang liver pain...
Copy & paste: http://www.liverfoundation.org/  It should work - I just tried it.  Good luck.  DJ
What did it say about the E do you remember? I am taking E as well and I know we can't take the Iron, A or K but never heard bad about E.....

Gosh it's all such a **** shoot isn't it?

I'm taking
E (1000 every other day)
C (1000 a day)
Bcomplex
Biotin
B12
Seleniuim
Folic Acid
Green Tea
Zinc (60 a day)

And I am sure there is something else that I am forgetting. My B Complex really sucked and I had to get some other things that SHOULD have been in there -but I didn't know at the time what to look for.

yes, the book sounds very interesting...let me know what you find out...
My doc says avoid multi's with iron, but A & K are fine. Anyone have a reason why A & K s/b avoided?

Also, I sometimes have a TJs juice drink that contains soy protien, spirulina, spinach extract, and some other green junk.  Consequently, the nutritional information reads 15% DV Iron. I also chomp on an Odwalla superfood bar now and then. That too has spirulina and a 15% Iron DV. I'm guessing these would both count as normal dietary iron, and would be OK. Anyone think differently?  

Goofy
I read it on some website one time and then he told me the same thing - without knowing I read that.  It was A and betacarotene I think (which is A?) I dont know why.

IF it is not real for some reason I'd love to know.  MUCH easier and cheaper to do a multi vitamin than all this separate stuff!

But he was very clear mostly about the iron and the A.