Hepatitis C Community
Los s/co ratio of 1.1 on antibody test, RIBA vs NAAT

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Hi All,
I have been reading through the posts regarding HCV s/co rations and there seems to be a lot of knowledge out there!   I was not worried about the possibility of having the HCV, but I just got my blood work results back today, and as stated above my HCV ratio appeared as 1.10.  According to the previous posts, my number is pretty low, and could mean either A). The test shows a false positive for the antibodies, or  B). I was exposed to the virus at some point and my body overcame it.  In order to be sure, my Dr. said we would do more tests. I think she said she was going to order the NAAT.  (Nucleic Acid Amplified Testing) for me.  I don't have the best health insurance, (in fact I'm on a county-sponsored program), and I didn't hear anyone mention NAAT in the previous posts.  Does anyone know if the NAAT test is effective as the RIBA test?  Many, many thanks to you all.  
According to the previous posts, my number is pretty low, and could mean either A). The test shows a false positive for the antibodies, or  B). I was exposed to the virus at some point and my body overcame it.
------------------------------
Correct...
.with a weak Pos.there is a very good chance it was a "False Pos".as it is very sensitive for any antibody and sometimes cross reacts with antibodies to other condiions

The Riba (if neg) would confirm this as it is very specific for HCV antibody.

If it is positive then you would stil lneed the NAAT(PCR) to confirm whether or not you have active HCV infection.

Good luck

Will

The NAAT (PCR)  would also answer the question conclusively whether or not you have active HCV
------------------------------
Correct...

Good luck

Will

Thank you very, very much for the quick response  :)  I will wait for the NAAT test and results.  Best, H.
Let us know ,however I imagine all is just fine..

Will
Cindy is... Comment
blondie717 joined this community
Welcome them!
Jun 28
senseanonymous  commented on photo
Jun 28
Track your weight over time