Hepatitis C Community
Low Platelet count and Currhosis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Low Platelet count and Currhosis

My mother will be going in for final testing to determine if she has Cirrhosis - the doctor is almost sure this is the case - she also has a very low Platelet count and Hepatitis C (due to a blood transfusion over 20 years ago).  It is our understanding that she will be unable to seek either a transplant or any medical attention to cure this due to a low platelet count.  Is there any way to increase her platelet count?
A low platelt count should not preclude a person from being able to have a transplant. Almost everyone with cirrhosis has a low platelet count. It is not the the bone marrow isn't producing platelets that is responsible for the low count. It is because the platelets are being sequestered in the spleen - that's why cirrhotics often have enlarged spleens. Mike
another reason i love this forum: post a question and you get an intelligent,well-informed answer from someone who has 'been there,done that".....Mike,thanks for sharing your knowledge--CHEERS
Don't worry can-do, think you are far enough from both of us to avoid the road rage, pitch forks, shovels and guns!
_______________________________________________________________

Thanks, that makes me feel a whole lot better, Maybe i can stop hiding in my basement now....Hope you have a great day
Thanks for the nice comment. I will use this thread to post a couple of links I think might be of interest to some of the members. They are from Medscape so you will probably have to be registered there to view. Registration at medscape.com is free and easy and well worth the time and effort.

<A HREF="http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/523692?src=mp/">FATTY LIVER AND TX</A>

<A HREF="http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/523693?src=mp/">INTERACTION  BETWEEN HEP B&C IN HCC</A>

Mike
Im a 20 year old male and I have a low blood platelet count.
I have been tested twice and my platelet count was 117,000 and now its 113,000. What can I do to increase my platelet count to normal levels?