Hepatitis C Community
Low Platelet count

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Low Platelet count

How does a person go about raising their platelet count? My husband was to have surgery on his shoulder but was canceled due to lack of platelets.
We have both had Hep C.for over 8yrs.now. And until last Thur. we drank a case of beer a day, everyday. We plan to abstain from alcohol for good now.Too bad it had to take this for us to do it.
Would his platelets come up on their own? How long would it take? Is there anything that we can do to 'up' his platelets? Like herbs maybe?
Our Dr. knows that we have 'C' but wouldn't treat us unless we quit drinking. We plan on starting treatment as soon as possible.
Do his platelets need to be up to be able to start treatment for the 'C'?
Is it common for low platelets when you have Hep?
What compications are associated with having low platets?
What are the causes?
I have read all I could find on the net so far and am still learning as much as possible. I am really glad I found this site. I have learned quite allot here and very thankfull for all that you folks could tell me.
Thanks Lots! ;O)

Welcome to the site. You will find lots of good, knowledgeable people here who will provide you with answers, advice and support. Stopping drinking was an important first step for you and your husband. While I don't have an answer for you about the platelets, a few threads down folks were having an in-depth discussion just a day or two ago. Scroll down and read that. I'm sure someone will come along to give you some advice. Welcome and stay strong.
Lauren
Hello Daisy Mae;
              You've made a wonderful choice to stop drinking. That is the #1 thing you can do to get healthy. If you decided to tx and ( sounds like you will ) I recommend you do lots of research, learn about your blood work, ect. It will help you in your tx journey.

As far as Low platelets, there are many different reasons for low platelets, one of which is Hep C and liver damage. If you've been drinking a case a day, chances are you haven't been eating right, as well. So now that you quit drinking, you need to start eating right and taking care of your liver. Drink a lot of water! You've made a great choice to stop drinking. I admire you for that.

Yes, there's a drug called Neumega that will raise the platelet levels. Usually this is giving to cancer patients, but can be used on Hep C patients, as well. They also do platelet transfusions.

Both the Neumega & transfusions are administered by an onocologist/hemotologist. My niece had a platelet transfusion and her platelet counts went way up> almost immedietly.

There's also procrit for Low hemoglobin ( anemia ) and then there's neopogen to raise the white cells. If the neopogen isn't working well enough, Nuelasta is prescibed and it's just a peglated version of Neopogen ( Nuelasta is given every 2 weeks and has more of a kick than the neopogen )

Hope this helps, good luck & God Bless you both (((( Sue ))))
Hi I am new here too. But I can tell you I have low blood platelets mine were 77 when I started on treatment. I am on shot 6 of 24. My platelets are now at 52. I had a bx and it came back with cirrhosis. That is why my platelets are so low. My liver is enlarged and the liver makes platelets. The doctor said if the platelets get too low he will give me some through a tranfusion. In the mean time I have ordered some vitamin K in pill form on the internet. but ask your doctor before ordering. Mine said it was Ok to take them while on treatment. You did the  hard part on making the decision to stop drinking. Now keep up the good work and get the liver biopsy. That is the only true way to know the damage that has been done. They can do the liver biopsy through the vien in the neck to prevent bleeding. That is how they did mine. It went real well.
I wish you all the best..... Debbie
Hey thanks for the welcome and all the encouragement! Yep Lauren I read the thread about the platelets. It had allot of really very helpfull info. I never 'googled' before..but I sure do like it. :o)  I spent most of the night on the 'puter. Saving links and making notes.  Here are a few of the best ones that I've found.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/thrombocytopenia.htm
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cirrhosis/

I have learned so much and have so much to learn. And I am sooo glad that I've found this place here. It's like one big family. It's very comfy here. ;o)
Does anyone have any links or ideas on where I could see some illustrations of the circulatory system refering to cirrhosis, ect.?  I made a rough sketch of the 'blood' system from what I understood reading a description of it. hahaha I fashioned it after motor manual diagrams....I've seen allot of THOSE..hahaha
   Tony and I are so new at this, it's really kinda scary. Like I didn't know until last night that the meds for tx was injected like an insulin shot. Does it have to be?
   I was an IV drug user for a part of the 22 yrs. that I was hooked on meth. I have been clean now for 6yrs.3 months 5days
My hubby never used a needle but he was a meth user for 19yrs. He has been clean for 9yrs. 2 months and 3days.  And I don't get a trigger when I see a needle or anything, I just don't like 'em.
   Thanks again everyone for being so helpfull and nice. I'm glad we're here.
Daisy Mae
Welcome to the forum.  You will find a lot of encouragement and useful information here.  That is wonderful news that you and your husband have stopped drinking.  A must for treatment.  I will be praying for both of you.
It is obvious to me that you and Tony are very strong and determined people to have been able to kick your drug habits. Now apply that energy to staying off the beer and when treatment is offered, you both have the strength of character to get through that too.

Mattie
Thanks Mattie! Will do.
I understand where you are coming from, My spouse just had a liver transplant two weeks ago due to hep c and cirrohsis from drinking for 20+ years. His platelet count got down to 65,000 and could not undergo the ribavarin therapy for hep c because his platelets were too low. He was diagnosed with hep c in 1992, and they have no idea how long he had it prior to them finding it in 92 because he was never one to go to the doctor. i have read everything and tried everything, for YEARS he took milk thistle tablets, this is an herb that promotes healthy liver functions. you can get it over the counter at the drug store. The doc's said it may or may not help, you know they don't put much faith in non-prescription remedies, but this lliver enzymes started dropping and stayed down for over 6 years before he finally developed cancer of the liver. The doc's told us that  platlets are manufactured in the liver and the body is continually making and destroying platelets, as platelets live in the body approx 4 hours and die off and all the while the liver is making more. When his platelets got down to 65,000 they told us that was the max his liver would produce because of the damage done to the liver. we did our own experiment and he ate calves liver and onions twice a week. His platelets stayed up areound 80,000 as long as we were doing this. There again, this was only a temporary fix. he is doing great with the new liver, platelets are now at 400,000 and he has only had the new liver two weeks today. I hope i was able to shed some light  on this supject for you....been there and bought the tee-shirt. I'll be thinking of you two

Bart508
im on week 6 + of interferon treatment and just got pretty bad news of my platelets dropping to 20 (they had been at about 70 and dropping gradually all thru treatment.0
ive been feeling pretty good except for the two days after shot (tired- headaches) and would like to know more about platelets as the doc says we may have to stop interferon but i want to and am energized to keep fighting this thing.

good luck with your battle and i recommemd get of treatment asap- i waited too long and its making the fight unnecessarily harder.

scoop49
Review article: blood platelet number and function in chronic liver disease and cirrhosis
See: http://tiny.cc/H03aZ

Background The liver plays a central role in coagulation and fibrinolysis but is also closely intertwined with the function and number of blood platelets.

Aim To describe and integrate all literature concerning blood platelets and liver disease by performing a thorough literature research.

Methods A thorough literature research on ‘blood platelets’ and ‘liver disease’ was performed.

Results Thrombocytopenia is a marked feature of chronic liver disease and cirrhosis. Traditionally, this thrombocytopenia was attributed to passive platelet sequestration in the spleen. More recent insights suggest an increased platelet breakdown and to a lesser extent decreased platelet production plays a more important role. Besides the reduction in number, other studies suggest functional platelet defects. This platelet dysfunction is probably both intrinsic to the platelets and secondary to soluble plasma factors. It reflects not only a decrease in aggregability, but also an activation of the intrinsic inhibitory pathways. The net effect, finally, is a decreased platelet function in the various types of chronic liver diseases and cirrhosis. Finally, recent data suggest that platelets are not only affected by but can also contribute to the liver disease process, as for instance, in viral hepatitis and cholestatic liver disease.

Conclusion Platelet research in liver disease is a growing area of investigation and could provide new pathophysiological insights.

Like many of you, long time hep c patient, diagnosed in 95 but probably contracted in early 70's when I got heb b using intravenous drugs. did peg interferon and rybavirin about 5 years ago, actually part of a trial study, but doc took me off after 6 months because of extremely low platelet counts and it wansn't touching viral load.  Platelets went back up for a while, still out of range but accectpable to him. Have now progressed to cirrhosis and last 2 blood works showed worst platelet counts since the interferon, 53K in FEB and 61K in early JUN.   Am looking for an herbal supplement to help boost platelets.  Anyone out there have any experience with Transfer Factor?  (see http://www.4tf.com/imran/)

Many thanks and God Bless to all,
Doug
Go to the Life Extension Foundation website and search for melatonin and platelets.  Read the dose recommendations for that particular effect.  I started a low dose with my husband and gradually built him up to 9 mg.  It takes some coffee to get him going again in the morning but his platelets are so far stable on treatment.  
At the same website, do a search of shark liver oil and platelets.  We haven't been taking this one long enough to know its effects but it suppposedly can help the white count too.  
I have found the LEF website very helpful.
Ev

Procrit Shots. Stings like a bee sting. Raises P Count immediately. May need monthly or bi monthly shots to bring him up.
Be good to yourselves!
Be good to that liver!
friends, colleagues and relatives said ceelin (vitamin c) coupled with tropicana ( juice drink) can increase platelet count. have you heard of it?
vitamin c sounds great. oj on the other hand is loaded with potassium and some meds have a potassium inhibtor which can lead tp potassium poisoning.  i did it to myself, thinking i was sick, so load up on fruits aka bananas and vit. c(oj).  it almost killed me.  please be careful and god bless.  cece
I know this is an old post but if anyone views this it is NOT TRUE.  

by Onederwoman

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

Onederwoman
Female, 50 years
Fountain Valley - CA
Member since Apr 2008  

, Jun 29, 2008 11:35PM
To: Daisy Mae1

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

Daisy Mae1
Member since Apr 2005  

Be good to yourselves!
Be good to that liver!
I have seen several patients helped by drinking papaya leaf extract. You can get some online at herbalpapaya com. I have been an living eye witness that it works! I don't know why the doctors don't tell patients but prefer to recommend the expensive therapies first!