Hepatitis C Community
MRI with Gadolinium Contrast

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

MRI with Gadolinium Contrast

I am due for an MRI in one week time
I have done 2 in the past 10-11 months ago and I have been quite seak 24 hours after

Just have done some research and apears that Gadolinium can lead to Nephrogenic systemic fibrosis in patients with hep C. I am horrified as nobody mentioned it
More, it seems that NSF can apear many months after the MRI which is making it even more difficult to identify. Umm I do not need this couple of days before starting tx. God knows how long will take to get it of the system

I think I will cancel the MRI or leave it after tx

Do you know of any other interactions?
Why do they want an MRI? This decision should be based on a careful risk-benefit analysis. Has your doctor clearly explained why an MRI is needed, and whether the contrast agent is essential? It's probably better to talk it over with your doctor first, and then, armed with more info, you can decide whether to do it his way, or insist on no contrast agent, or skip it altogether. Good luck!
The MRI is needed as a checkup on my orbit after the lymphoma surgery I had in March. I think I will skip it all together for now. Is not going to make a difference now that I start tx. I will try to call the doctor tomorrow
Please post the article or paper that states that "Gadolinium can lead to Nephrogenic Systemic Fibrosis in patients with hep C".

As of 9/1/2011 the only known risk of NSF is in patients with renal failure in pre and post liver transplant patients. For us pre-transplant patients they measure our creatinine before each MRI to make sure our kidneys are functioning well enough before we receive an MRI with Gadolinium. For us with liver cancer it is critical that out cancer is monitored every 3 months with MRI and contrast as that is the best way to diagnosis hepatocellular carcinoma tumors.

"UCSF Department of Radiology Gadolinium Policy"

http://www.radiology.ucsf.edu/patient-care/patient-safety/contrast/gadolinium-policy

"The primary risk factor is renal failure (patient on DIALYSIS or with a GFR < 30). Particular caution should be considered in patients with acute renal failure or evidence of co-existing severe liver disease. The FDA has NOT received reports of NSF among patients with normal renal function or moderate renal insufficiency”. Many of the reported cases of NSF have been in patients before or after liver transplant."

The only connection to hepatitis C is in transplant patients who have renal failure and servere liver disease. Obviously most people with hepatitis C do not have servere liver disease (ESLD), waiting for a liver transplant and have renal failure. Most of these patients are hospitalized while waiting for a liver or a liver and kidney transplant.

If you have newer information please post it because I have my next MRI with Gadolinium coming up at the beginning of December.
Hector