Hepatitis C Community
Marriage?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Marriage?

I was born with hepatitis C and found out a year ago. I'm engaged to my boyfriend and scared that i mite transmit the disease to him. I haven't told him yet and scared that he will break the wedding off. Can i give him the disease to him or my future children?
Starlight,

I found out in August that I have Hep C.  I have been with my husband for 18 years.  He was tested after I was diagonsed and he does not have it.  From what I understand sexual transmission is the least possible way of transmitting.  I have been injured and had surgerys and he has taken care of me.  We have shared a toothbrush in an emergency situation and everything else you can imagine.  WHen I found out I was terrified that people would treat me different.  The people closest to me are the ones I told and nobody even flinched.  I told the people I work directly and they have all been very supportive.  I started my treatment two weeks ago and so far the only side effects I have had is mild tiredness, heartburn and mild headaches.  I took my husband to my Dr. appointments so he would understand everything I am going through.  If your boyfriend is you best friend like my husband is to me I hope he would be there for you.  This is a great website it has helped me tons. Best of luck to you.
HCV is very rarely transmitted to a spouse.  I have been married 42 years, had HCV the entire time and never transmitted it to my wife.

Transmission to children does happen but is rare.  I think someone on the forum probably has a link to a study.  If no one responds to your post with a study, you might try a google search yourself.

There are many new treatments in various states of FDA trials.  It is very likely that there will be much better treatments available soon.  In the meantime, depending on your genotype, you might consider trying the current standard of care.  Find a hepatologist and ask them what their opinions is.

Good luck to you and I am sure you will have a long and happy marriage with very healthy children.

Eric
Regarding the incidence of vertical (mother-to-child) transmission:

http://tinyurl.com/6f4y6c

Also, take a look at the following site for more general info on HCV:

http://janis7hepc.com/index.htm

Best of luck—

Bill
Also married over 27 years ( i think ) Dang has it been that long??? Any way i'm the only one that has it. Best of luck to you.

Some good reading here....

http://janis7hepc.com/myths_and_facts.htm

can
I have a 19 year old daughter and know that i had it when i was pregant with her but didn't know it. When i found out last year that i had Hep C type 1a i realized that i got it from a blood tranfusion 27 year earlier .I had my daughter checked and happy to say she does not have th virus.I think transmission from mother to fetus is rare but can happen from what i have read is that how you got it at birth?. I have been with my spouse and he was checked when we found out about me and he also was negative. Good luck Effie
after 20 years together my hubby does not have HCV.  Good luck

Denise
14 years this November - and Hubby, daughter and Hubby's son do NOT have HCV.

It's just NOT that contagious.

Meki
I found out 8 years ago after my daughter was born, she was tested-virus free, my ex husband was blood donor way after that, don't think there is much risk, Tell him, though, but if you really trust him- it might put a lot of strain relationship especially that you know for a year. I would pretend, I just found out, he will feel that you trust him more
sorry, meki, last comment was for starligh LOL
Did you get it through your mother?  If so that would show you that it is possible, however as everyone says it is rare.  Please consider starting your marriage with the truth that is so important in relationships.. You will want someone you can also depend on, so .......... good luck
If your boyfriend will break your engagement because you're ill, this is information you need to know before you commit to a marriage.  Give him a chance to stand up - tell him your situation.  I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.

jd
You really need to get complete informed before you meet with him.  I have been married 28 years, 2 children.  None of them has hep c.  There are scientific articles that discuss that statistical probabilities of passing the disease to your husband and children is quite low.  I completed treatment about 4 months ago and I was able to handle treatment and keep going with my responsibilities.  I am currently more than 12 weeks post treatment and still clear and am hoping to be SVR in 9 more weeks when I will be 24 weeks post treatment.  I would talk with a good hep c doctor, discuss treatment options, understand this disease and be able to answer many of your fiancee's questions when you speak with him.  
  My Dr told me it was less than a 1% chance of passing the disease on through sex. He told me that they do not even sugest that spouses or children be tested. I had a child while I was positive (unknowingly) and after I found out he was tested and is negative. I under stand your fear of telling your fiencee, and my prayres are with you through this. I had my husband go to my first apointment with me so he could ask all the questions he had. Remember he will be scared and maby a little angry at first, just like you were.
Welcome to the forum.

The chance of passing the virus through sex is very little, as it is a blood borne disease. You would have to both have sores and be bleeding for your blood to enter his blood stream.

There is about a 6% possibility of a mother transferring the virus to her baby during birth. It is about 4% likelihood to infect a boy and 8% to infect a baby girl. They suspect this to be due to that girls are genetically more similar to their mothers. And you yourself must have been one of these 8%, since you say you have had it since birth, I presume you were infected through your mother.

I have had the virus for c. 25 years without knowing. I have 5 children and actually passed the virus on to one of my twin girls who is 18 now. She cleared the virus by herself. (around 35% of the ppl who get infected with HCV do clear it themselves.) so she does not have HCV.

So to sum it up, it is very unlikely that your fiancé will catch it from you, but the doctors suggest to use a condom when there are any genital sores and when the woman has her menstruation. Keep your personal items like, razors, nail clippers, toothbrushes separate from others, as there is slight risk of being infected by blood residues on these items.

If you get treated before you have children and eradicate the virus, you will not be able to pass it on to any of them.

Educate yourself as much as you can on the disease, before telling your boyfriend. Knowledge is power. If yo are scared and freaked out, you will likely freak him out, too. If you are calm and composed when you tell him, he will be more likely to take it calmly. You will need to explain to him that it is actually not that contagious and that there is treatment.

Hugs,

Marcia