Hepatitis C Community
May i test Sofosbuvir GS 5885

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

May i test Sofosbuvir GS 5885

8946340?1363757001
My name is Cuong Le, 33 years old, from VN. I have Hepatitis C treatment type 1b with Paygasys 180mg and ribarivin 500mg , at first 12th week - it is undetected but at 24th week i have virus 22,000,000 ui/ml; my doctor said i must wait for new drugs. In my case is too difficult to treat. I had  C   over 15 years So, Could I be in test for Sofosubvir GS 5885 ?, please help me ....

My email : ***@****

Thanks and best regards
Hi.

I am sorry that your treatment failed.
So you mean that your blood was tested at week 24 and the virus came back after being undetected at week 12 of treatment?

The new drugs for genotype 1 are not even available here in the US. They are only available in drug testing trials to a limited number of people. It many take a number of years before they are available in Vietnam. Vietnam still uses only Peg-interferon and Ribavirin to treat hepatitis C because of its limited resources.

There are two new drugs to choose from. The treatment involves adding one or the other to the drugs you took before. They have been available in the US that are added to the drugs you took (Peg-Interferon and Ribavirin) that are move effective
then with just the two drugs.
In the US one is called "Incivek" (Telaprevir) and the other is called "Victrelis" (Boceprevir). They may be available in a few years to you.

What you can do now while waiting to treat your hepatitis C again...

* I would suggest seeing your drug who treated your hepatitis C about every 6 months so if he learns that it will be available you can be one of the first people to try the 3 drug combination.

* You should get vaccinated for hepatitis A and B if you haven't already done so. This will prevent you from every being infected with these viruses. As you know in Asian hepatitis B is very common and infects many more people than hepatitis C. Getting infected with another version of hepatitis is difficult on the liver and can make treatment much more difficult.

* Make sure all needles your doctor uses are new and in the package.

* If you decide to have a tattoo, piercing, manicure or pedicure, ensure that the facility uses single use needles and inks and/or follows proper sterilization procedures.

* In the mean time stay healthy and avoid alcohol when combined with hepatitis C speeds up liver disease.

It is difficult to say how much your liver disease has progressed because it requires a 'liver biopsy' where a needle in put into the liver and a very small part is removed. If you can get a liver biopsy than you will know more about how long you can wait to treat your hepatitis C.

Good luck to you.
Hector
Something I just noticed. You say you were taking 500 mg of Ribavirin?  Do mean mean 500 mg total for the whole day? Or 500 mg twice per day?

Standard Ribavirin treatment is 1,000 mg or 1,200 mg per day based on the patient's body weight.

You should have been taking 1,000 mg per day of Ribavirin.

Taking a smaller dose can cause the virus to breakthrough during treatment which seems to be what you say happened to you. You need to have a high enough dosage to be cured.

Please talk to your doctor and ask him why you were given only 500 mg of Ribavirin.

Maybe you can treat again at the proper dose and can be cured?
Peg-interferon 180mg injection once a week.
Ribavirin 2 500 mg twice a day.

Here is information from the label of Ribavirin...
http://www.drugs.com/pro/ribavirin.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ribavirin Dosage and Administration

The daily dose of Ribavirin tablets is 800 mg to 1200 mg administered orally in two divided doses.

Genotypes 1, 4 - < 75 kg = 1000 mg - 48 weeks
                         ≥ 75 kg = 1200 mg -

Dose Modifications

​If severe adverse reactions or laboratory abnormalities develop during combination Ribavirin tablet/peginterferon alfa-2a therapy, the dose should be modified or discontinued, if appropriate, until the adverse reactions abate or decrease in severity. If intolerance persists after dose adjustment, Ribavirin tablet/peginterferon alfa-2a therapy should be discontinued.

Discontinuation of Dosing

​Discontinuation of peginterferon alfa-2a/Ribavirin tablet therapy should be considered if the patient has failed to demonstrate at least a 2 log10 reduction from baseline in HCV RNA by 12 weeks of therapy, or undetectable HCV RNA levels after 24 weeks of therapy.

Warning:

Ribavirin may cause birth defects and/or death of the exposed fetus. Ribavirin has demonstrated significant teratogenic and/or embryocidal effects in all animal species in which adequate studies have been conducted. These effects occurred at doses as low as one twentieth of the recommended human dose of Ribavirin.

​Ribavirin therapy should not be started unless a report of a negative pregnancy test has been obtained immediately prior to planned initiation of therapy. Extreme care must be taken to avoid pregnancy in female patients and in female partners of male patients. Patients should be instructed to use at least two forms of effective contraception during treatment and for 6 months after treatment has been stopped. Pregnancy testing should occur monthly during Ribavirin therapy and for 6 months after therapy has stopped.
For female patients:

Do not take ribavirin if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. You should not start taking ribavirin until a pregnancy test has shown that you are not pregnant. You must use two forms of birth control and be tested for pregnancy every month during your treatment and for 6 months afterward. Call your doctor immediately if you become pregnant during this time. Ribavirin may cause harm or death to the fetus.

For male patients:

Do not take ribavirin if your partner is pregnant or plans to become pregnant. If you have a partner who can become pregnant, you should not start taking ribavirin until a pregnancy test shows that she is not pregnant. You must use two forms of birth control, including a condom with spermicide during your treatment and for 6 months afterward. Your partner must be tested for pregnancy every month during this time. Call your doctor immediately if your partner becomes pregnant. Ribavirin may cause harm or death to the fetus.

Good luck.
Hector
I see by your profile you are from Vietnam and I am presuming from your post that you were just doing the" two "drug combo of Interferon and Riba .

Possibly because neither one of the newer drugs  Incivek and Victrellis, (which are taken in addition to the two drugs mentioned above) are not yet avail in your country.(I am not positive of this tho)

If the viral load was Und @ the 12 Wk . mark and then Det. @ the 24 Wk. mark ,you have had what is known as a 'viral breakthru" and yes you would need to on your next therapy add one of these newer drugs I mentioned above or possibly wait even longer until there are y even different therapies(all oral treatment .without Interferon)

If the 500 riba was your total daily dose ..this would be considered to  low for patients given the drug protocol when begining treatment

I advise a consultation with your treating doctor about the availability of these drugs  and a time frame for such in your country.

best of luck and welcome...

Will
do you know how much time is needed for new medicines to be approved in europe after they have been approved in the US?
The meds are available in the usa
Yes you can be treated and with the type you have you have a very good chance do get rid of it. The hardest to treat is 1A and they have very good meds now that raise the cure rate drasticly. Talk with a doc and see if you can be treated and if you dont have the money for the meds the drug companies have a program that gives it to people who need it for free

god bless and hang in there