Hepatitis C Community
Medications metabolized through liver?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Medications metabolized through liver?

Do all of you check if medications you take are metabolized through the liver? Is this something we need to worry about? Aren't most things metabolized through the liver?

I was prescribed a medication today and when I went to fill it the pharmacist warned me that it might not be the best thing for someone with a chronic liver disease to take. He suggested an alternative med that metabolizes through the kidneys instead. Of course, the alternate was over $80 versus $9.00.....

Is there a list somewhere of things those of us with hep c, (not on treatment) absolutely shouldn't take?

Best to you all-
  • Garden Thread (118 replies):
    Lets make this a garden post and all questions, tips , a...[more]

Yes one of the main concurns is the damage drugs can do to the liver. Especally to someone who has Hepatitis!!
Always check with the Pharmasist, even on over the counter drugs. And it is also very very important the more meds you take whether it be OTC or RX drugs. Also use the internet.

Here is a link to a web site that you can check drug reaction at.

<a href="http://www.drugs.com/">Drug interaction page.</a>

<a href="
http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/">Med-Watch.</a>

TonyZ

Proof read. Spell check. Make more since :)

TonyZ
I am not sure  how you can be 100% sure that any meds are liver friendly there are differing views about tylenol as to whether it's ok or not and it is cautionedfor those with liver probs but the docs seem to prescribe it and some eat it like candy..
I guess extended dosing of any drug will have some effect on the liver ,but then, too much of anything can be bad also.
maybe someone with a more medical background could better answer your concerns
Chev, Ideas for your front yard:
GOLDEN RAIN TREE - small leaves, no raking; very fast grower, good shade tree.
POPLAR - the type that get those red, leathery leaves late into fall; nice white flowers, but - may loose branches easily in strong wind.
SILVER MAPLE - leaves silvery as they shimmer in wind.  Somewhat
fragile in very strong wind.  Leaves are deeply notched, turn yellow in fall.
Willows (Weeping w.) grow very fast, but topple easily in storms due to shallow root system; don't plant them near the house.
My personal suggestion:  a good crabapple selecti on, recommended by a good nursery, or a real fruit tree!  Star Stella Cherry is great: self pollinating, heavy bearing; beautiful, fragrant flowers in spring.  You'll be fighting with the birds and squirrels for the fruits after 3-4 years, though! Or a 5-in-1 apple tree...
(Our environmental catastrophe happened about 1990; we've been planting and nurturing the lilac, honeysuckle, sweetspice, etc. shrub row and the evergreen windbreak since then.)   MN
I read your post from yesterday.  You are a beautiful writer and I felt your sorrow.  It is a "life experience" and sometimes the pain truly touches the heart.

Always,

Jamie
Ya Know Chev, the clearer you get, you are blowing everyones mind with the beautiful writings you've been posting.I am really proud to have watched you before Tx thru yout TX and now!Huggzzz Girlie!