Military Veterans
Are there any Hep C positive veterans out there who received vacinations with the air injector gun while on active duty in the early 1970's or late 1960's?  The veteran population from that time period has a high prevelence of Hepatitis C and some believe that the air injector method of giving vacinations used at that time might be the cause.  I was in the Marine Corps from 70 to 74 and remember being vacinated with this method where we were simply lined up and injected one by one by stepping forward to the injection station.  The air injector gun shot a high pressure pre-measured dose through the skin on the upper arm.  The end of the air gun that touched the arm could not have been sterile as I remember seeing bleeding arms on some after the shot was given.  This has recently been added to the list of risk factors for Hep C.  Comments??
I was in the army 1971-1974 and i remember standing in line at Ft Lewis getting injection after injection and I asked if they ever changed needles and they told me only when it starts tearing the skin and people start to bleed. I also had my wisdom teeth pulled with the same instruments as the person in front of me had used on him and the person behind me. I blame the Army for my Hep.C I don't even have a tatoo on my body to this day.
My brother joined the Navy in 1973 and was diagnosed with Hep C in 1990. He remembers the air immunizer and the bleeding arms in front of him at boot camp. He has never been an IV drug user nor is he in any other high-risk group. He is convinced that he got Hep C in boot camp, yet the VA recently turned him down for benefits, and he was told that most people who apply for VA benefits to cover HepC are also turned down. It seems clear that the VA doesn't want to have to pay for treatment. Are there any vets groups pursuing a class-action suit, or any other mass action to force the VA to own up to the problem?
Went to Ft. Leonardwood for boot camp in April of 1970.  During all the shots, both air gun and needle I got a "tear" in my arm from one of the guns.  Blood was running down everyone's arms, not just a few, so blood contamination was an absolute, not just a possibility.  During this time many of the new troops were guys who took military service over prison time so we got some real "winners" in our outfit.  Wouldn't be a bit surprised if many of these guys were needle users prior to coming into the service.  I now have a serious neural condition in my feet and legs with the pain unbearable at times.  I'm not diabetic so no causal connection there.  My sister had polio when she was five and I was three.  They held me down at the hospital for the gamma globulin shots so I don't know what the cause of the neural pain is all about.  Went to over ten "specialists" about ten years ago and none of them could come up with a diagnosis.  They just said it was something I would have to "live with".  If anyone has an opinion on this please let me know.  BTW, I was a medic also.
If it was me, I would get tested for Hepatitis C.

You have a history of possible exposure via the gamma glob shot and also the air gun. Plus, as a medic, you were most likely exposed to a lot of blood.

Hep C can cause many extrahepatic manifestations. Peripheral Neuropathy is one of them. I am not saying that you have Hep C or that you have Peripheral Neuropathy but, if it was me, I would get tested for Hep C. If the test is negative, fine. If it is positive, then you can get treated for the Hep C.

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/Extrahepatic.pdf

Thanks..........good idea.
For a list of places that do testing, try looking at this web site:
www.hepcchallenge.org
x navy corpsman 1983 to 1987. Used and recieved vacination from air jet injector. Found pos for HCV 12/2011, fired from job when I got sick so insurance no go. anyone know of any help?
you, just like i am through the VA mdical.  Vuarenteed to you for you service unless you were discharged other than honorable
I had air injection at ft lenord wood mo. in 1976 I flinged when injected so they gave me another shot. about 176 of us had to be hospitalized after injection. spent month in hospital that turned from swine flu to ammonia.I would sure like to know how many of us got hep C !
I have for some time now have been trying to reach veterans so as to prove that they got diseases through airguns and shots in service.  I was denied due to the most used word in C&P exams (SPECULATION) which I find funny considering the VA states in there web on it that it in theory biologicaly plausible yet denieng claims for the same reason which speculation meas theorys or guesses. my unit in Germany hgad a hep outbreak in Dec 78 and they checked for hepatitis in Jan 79 which I can prove but convincing the VA is another story.
if anyone wishes to contact me feel free to do so at ***@****
Sorry to hear you were denied.  Have you gone through any appeals?
No doubt you are aware of this site but just in case or for others in a similar situation who don't
http://www.hcvets.com/

Sometimes local veterans legions or other organizations will help with information or even filing appeals.

It seems to be real hard to get entitlement to service connection for hepatitis C with even with appeals but a few have but many have not.  

I was in army in the late 60's but came down with acute non A non B in 1980 (HEP C now) when I was injecting drugs. So no way could I get service connection.  I immediately stopped sharing needles and related items. Guess I was lucky i got that instead of HIV in 1980 as I know a few drug addicts who dies within the 80's from that. Completely stopped injecting drugs in the early 80's     .

I am low income and receive free medical care from the VA. Now waiting for the VA to approve SOVALDI and Ribavarin to treat my genotype 2a/ 2c.
Who knows maybe one of them got one from the air injection and the other  from the 1980 exposure.

BTW be sure to read the Terms of Use & Privacy  this site auto removes email links that why ***@**** shows in your post.

Wish you the best!
My husband served in the US Army 1969-1972. CA veteran, never went to Vietnam but Germany, honorably discharged. His remembrance of immunizations were a line up and injections one right after the other, same needle and air injections. We've been trying to get VA to take accountability and provide treatment. We have been told that approx.  70% of Vietnam era veterans are Hep C positive. We've received denial and denial from them. Anyone with success?
im a air force vet 21979-1984. im positive with hepc genotype 4 which is mid east asia. I received many airgun shots in the air force. and during boot camp there was a high amount of iran air force at lackland doing English training or something. seems funny that my geno type is from the mid east and I was never near the mid east during my service or at any time. I am presently on chemo meds interferon and ribivron. the va was not helpful when contacted
yes I,m a vietnam Vet with hep-c 1972 -1974 great lakes byron tucker ***@****
Go to HCVets.com there you will find what you are seeking   good luck ray
I did not contract Hep C from the hydraulic injectors, BUT, am 100 percent certain, I contracted Hepatitis B.  The instruments used for mass injections were not the problem, the corpsmen, medics and any other military and civilian medical person used the injectors improperly - thus creating the perfect opportunity for transmitting tainted blood/body fluids.  No sterilization of the instrument after EACH use, or swabbing the arms.  I can remember as if it was yesterday standing in line with so many other boot camp sailors, watching as many received the pump and walked away with small rips in the skin and blood dripping down their arm.  I also recall asking the corpsman to please sterilize the instrument, his hands and my arm prior to injection.  This was in 1972 at Navy Bootcamp in Orlando, Florida.  I am female but gender made no difference in how the injections were administered.  Within just 2 weeks perhaps a few days more, I developed slight jaundice, high fever , severe fatigue.  I was hospitalized for just a few days with the diagnosis being HEAT exhaustion. Not being medically trained, I went with the diagnosis and finished boot camp on time and went on to retire.  In retrospect, through the last 40 years, my health took some rather odd dips - fatigue, nausea, fever and overall feeling of malaise.  Recuperation usually lasted a couple months before I felt my strength return.  I donated blood shortly after bootcamp, and received a letter from the base Red Cross and base hospital advising me that abnormal results were found in the blood spin after donation.  I was informed by the base hospital I had Australia Antigen B (Hep B), and was treated like a pariah.  Back then, medicine believed Hep B was contracted through needle sharing or exchange of body fluids through unsafe sex.  Knowing I had never used drugs of any sort, and also, had never had a sexual relationship, I thought of the injections.  Fast forward 40 years.  This year in fact, yes, I have had active periods of Hep B, and have been diagnosed with stage one liver cancer/disease.  I do not drink and have not done any drugs and my physical exchanges have been safe.  Now, medicine understands the hydraulic instruments used for mass innoculations for not just the military, but for school children and other large groups have been impacted by the lack of caution used by whomever was doing the inoculation caused many to test positive for Hep B and Hep C and possibly other long term conditions.  

This is a long response, and perhaps not the answer you were looking for, but I feel it is important that others in our situation should understand that Hep C is not the only member of the Hep family that one contracted from tainted instruments.  It takes a micro virus to become infected.  No, I have not asked if this is considered service connected but I will.  Thank you.
13 years ld his thread.  wild.

1986 - 1990. Induction and two overseas deployments, US Army.  Many, many air gun shots, plus bloodwings with my blood brothers.  I remember thinking, "Jeez, did they just give me AIDS?"

I read that the high pressure liquid vaporized blood in the skin, which would often settle just a bit on the tip of the gun to be injected into the next person.  
I was inducted into the Air Force on 30Nov70 at Fort Wayne (I believe it was called) in Detroit, Michigan. Same thing, never had multiple sex partners, never shared needles or illegal drugs. Docs found it in Dec 2001, started treatment Feb. 2002. It was 9 months of hell followed by many years of purgatory. My health has sucked since my induction into the A F. It still was a great time, should have stayed in. I remember agent orange vets had to protest and protest to get the help they needed and deserved!!!! Just saying. If anyone has any info or ideas contact me
My fiancée and his brother joined the Army National Guard back in the 1970's era under the buddy system.  They too remember being air gun injected and blood being everywhere.  The air gun was never sterilized.  My fiancée's brother, needless to say is now deceased because of this unnecessary action.  My fiancée also underwent treatment for Hep C.  We have been doing battle with the VA for approximately eight years now and they deny this ever happened.  We are also trying to obtain an article stating that there was an outbreak and they tell us it doesn't exist.  The article does exist because my fiancée did see it, we just are unable to get our hands on it for proof.  Is anyone aware of this article?
1976 US ARMY still have my shot record with swine flu from 77. yeah one right after the other got it. there was an artical about 5 years ago about this in the READER before I saw that I thought i got it because without my knowledge i must have used drugs at a party and got it. i didn't know about blow-back from the gun and I knew how you got HepC so I was really at a lost on how I got it. but almost 30 years to the day I started feeling weak and not active anylonger and found out why and there also web data on a vet who won. but i tried the VA but they said no. i did not dispute. but i think since it was for hepc and at that time I said chronic hep that maybe a legal issue will allow me to refile with the VA for chronic hepC not just HepC? good luck but i am going into treatment soon and so what they didn't compensate at least they are helping me. PS i got punched in the nose once and i am calling it in under then new battery and sexual abuse act thing. maybe i will get comp and a nose job? good luck fellow vets! 7thCav 5th Bat.
I got Hep C 1a genio- type in 1980 from shots given with the air gun. Haven't started treatment yet, and am worried how treatment will be. Think I need to file for a check cause I am too sick to stand much let alone work.