Hepatitis C Community
Mono and hepatitis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Mono and hepatitis

HI i was just diagnosed with Mono and i been reading about it online and i saw something about hepatitis.  I was wondering is there a better chance for me to get hepatitis or does mono cause it.  I have another question but this is about mono.  I got mono and i never kissed anyone because i have a girlfriend and she doesn't have it yet. i just wanted to know if it was airborne or what it takes to get mono.   thanks
Exactly my boyfriend has mono, but i dont and i feel fine. I would like to knw the answer to that question myself.
What Is Mono?
Infectious mononucleosis (pronounced: mah-no-noo-klee-oh-sus), sometimes called "mono" or "the kissing disease," is an infection usually caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). EBV is very common, and many people have been exposed to the virus at some time in childhood.

Not everyone who is exposed to EBV develops the symptoms of mono, though. As with many viruses, it is possible to be exposed to and infected with EBV without becoming sick.

People who have been infected with EBV will carry the virus for the rest of their lives — even if they never have any signs or symptoms of mono. People who do show symptoms of having mono probably will not get sick or have symptoms again.

Although EBV is the most common cause of mono, other viruses, such as cytomegalovirus (pronounced: sye-toe-meh-guh-low-vye-rus), can cause a similar illness. Like EBV, cytomegalovirus stays in the body for life and may not cause any symptoms.

How Do People Get Mono?
One common way to "catch" mono is by kissing someone who has been infected, which is how the illness got its "kissing disease" nickname. If you have never been infected with EBV, kissing someone who is infected can put you at risk for getting the disease.

But what if you haven't kissed anyone? You can also get mononucleosis through other types of direct contact with saliva (spit) from someone infected with EBV, such as by sharing a straw, a toothbrush, or an eating utensil.

Some people who have the virus in their bodies never have any symptoms, but it is still possible for them to pass it to others. Experts believe that EBV can even spread from people who had the virus months before.