Hepatitis C Community
Mouth sores/corner of mouth

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Mouth sores/corner of mouth

I was tx'ing a couple of months ago when I posted a question about sores in the corner of my mouth. Anyways, shortly thereafter I stopped tx as there was little change in my VL after 16 weeks.
Now, these sores are still here. It was bad enough when the tx didn't work but how long do I haavee to put up with the side effects of a treatment that didn't even work ??

I have used aquaphor, vaseline, antibiotic ointment, chapsticks and nothing works !

Anyone have any idea how long they will stick around for ?

Carmex is something I live by --- and a mouthwash my doc makes...

NYSTAT/ERYTH/DIPHEN SUSP

good luck!

Meki
Ps. have your doc check for Herpes Simplex --- you may need a specific medicine for that - if it is.
I'm almost 6 months post treatment and I still have problems with one of the corners of my mouth.  The cracking is not nearly as bad as it was and it is definately better.  I've not used anything on mine and they are healing, although slowly.

Missy
Genotype 1a, Stage 3, Grade 3
Finished 48 wks of tx on 4/13/07
Hoping for SVR on 9/20/07
(10+ days and counting!)
I've had that SX for the past 9 months.  it was driving me NUTS.

I believe it's called cheilitis.

Cheilosis (also called cheilitis) is a painful inflammation and cracking of the corners of the mouth. It sometimes occurs on only one side of the mouth, but usually involves both sides.

My NP prescribed ertaczo (an anti-fungal ointment) a month ago and it's almost disappeared.

wyntre
I have been using Campho-Phenique but would like to try something that really works so I ran a search and found this (Ertaczo Chemical Name: SERTACONAZOLE) is over the counter now for athlete's foot, but also read these two notes:

“USE OF THIS MEDICINE IS NOT RECOMMENDED if you have problems with your immune system”

“AVOID GETTING THIS MEDICINE IN YOUR EYES or on the inside of your nose or mouth”

Did you use it in the corners of your mouth on your lips?
Yes, I had two diagonal lines (sores) from the corners of the mouth out.

It's for external use, only.

The cracks were so irritating that I couldn't talk much, eat much, use toothpaste, plus, to me they were horribly noticeable.

For the first time in over 9 months the sores are gone.  it took almost 4 weeks of twice daily use but there is a huge improvement, at least in THAT sx.  *LOL*

wyn

OK thanks!