Hepatitis C Community
Multiple Genotypes 1a AND 2

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Multiple Genotypes 1a AND 2

Please, can anyone tell me about having multiple genotypes--are they harder to cure --I am waiting for the interferon-free treatment--will the new treatment cure multiple (1a and 2) genotypes?  Does this mean I am even sicker than what I previously thought, having been told I had just genotype 1 for the first 6 years, and now I found out I have 1a and 2???
Sorry nobody has gave you and answer. And welcome here. Having two different genotypes is not all that uncommon. What it means is one has been infected at two different times and the infected blood each had a different genotype. As for being sicker then you thought the answer is no as it's still the hep C virus. And yes both types can be cured, the key is to treat the hardest to cure type as for length in treatment. Find a good Hepatologist and you should have no problems. Hang in there, best to you.
Thank You so much for answering me, can-do-man.  I was able to get a hold of the Dr.'s nurse today, and she also said the thing that I must of been infected at 2 different times.  However, that is not possible.  I caught it from my then boyfriend, now fiancee through a pricking accident while helping him cap some uncapped Enbrel needles from when he was a bachelor, to put them in a sharps container.  I do not do drugs, and have been with no one else since I met him 11 years ago.  I think it must be that he has always had the 2 genotypes, and when we were both tested 6 years ago, the test was not as good as the most recent test, or the other genotype was not as prevalent.  I am just really afraid that the newer interferon-Free drugs I have to wait for will not work as well on genotypes 1a AND 2--or that I will have to go through 2 different treatments.  I am very afraid of treatment to begin with, because my boyfriend nearly died from interferon, lost 40 pounds, it fried his brain, and all his hair fell out, and he was not cured.    I already suffer from PTSD from my Mom's cancer death (lasted 15 years--11 surgeries)--very traumatic, and I know already that when I do go on treatment, I will get severely depressed.  (Have been suicidal in the past--but not anymore)--Just am wondering if I should keep searching for a better Hepatologist, or are they all pretty much the same?  
Go to Twenty-Two Days in the hep-c community and see my last post . I believe you'll find what your looking for there. If I'm correct Achillion has made the breakthrough in a 100% cure for all genotypes. This just came out yesterday. Its as good as Gileads pill or maybe better.One pill a day will tax both your viruses.
http://ir.achillion.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=866418
Bluemetal is correct,here is the link
Thank You Bluemetal and bonron, this Achillion is great news!
Dee1956 commented on Jade59's status
1 hr ago
Dee1956 commented on Jade59's status
1 hr ago
Dee1956 commented on Protein Dessert That ...
Track your weight over time