Hepatitis C Community
Multivitamin with NO iron and NO vit A

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Multivitamin with NO iron and NO vit A

I am trying to find a good multivitamin to take. As I understand, we should stay away from extra A and iron. I have found something and would like to ask, if this is reasonable. These are actually especially made for ppl with osteoporosis, as they are not allowed extra vit A.

Any input very much appreciated. Or maybe someone has something better without A and iron?

Thanks guys,

Marcia

Amount Per Tablet     % DV

Vitamin C                                  75 mg      125%
Vitamin D                                  400 IU     100%
Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol)   30 IU     100%
Thiamin (B1)                         1.5 mg     100%
Riboflavin (B2)                         1.7 mg     100%
Niacin                                  20 mg     100%
Vitamin B6                            2 mg     100%
Folic Acid                               400 mcg     100%
Vitamin B12                          6 mcg      100%
Pantothenic Acid                   10mg      100%

% Daily Value (DV) based on 2000 calories per day diet
We all get a certain amount of Vit. A and iron from normal foods that we eat.  So, if the vitamin has a tiny amount of Vit. A it's not going to hurt you that much.  I just wouldn't use one that has like 100% of the RDA.  I'd be alot more worried about the Iron.  Any time we eat carrots, or leafy greens we get a healthy dose of Vit. A and the leafy greens also have iron in them.  I take one of the Viactiv chewable chocolate multivitamins.  I read the labels carefully because there's different kinds of Viactiv vitamins and some of them do have iron.  This particular one does not have iron.  It has a very low amount of Vit.A but not 100% RDA.   But, there again, I rarely eat carrots and don't eat hardly any leafy greens.  My grandfather has macular degeneration and has lost his eyesight and a certain amount of Vit. A is essential to help your eyesight.  So, I just try to weigh all the pro's and con's.  Do I want to fight blindness and is it more important to me than a healthy liver?  In my opinion, for me, it's a definite YES.  I'd rather die w/sight than live w/no sight.  So, I eat my Viactiv choc. multivit chew and think of it as being 'CHOCOLATE' and it's all good for me.

Susan400
Thanks for the input. I didn't think of all that...

I eat a lot of vegetables also raw. Salads with all kind of things in like baby spinach etc and I also like raw carrots. And I eat a lot of fruit too and I love mangoes. So my iron and Vit A intake from natural foods is taken care of, so I don't think it would be good for me to have any extra in vitamins.

What do you think about the above mentioned multivitamin?

Marcia

I just checked out your vitamin, it has almost the same values as the one I mentioned above.

Except you have also biotin, sodium, calcium and 2500 Vit A and the stuff that makes the chewable tablet, of course.

On the container of my Viactiv it says, Vit A 50% of the RDA, based on a 2,000 cal diet.  No iron.    The biotin is good for your hair and nails.  I have low sodium, so I actually need the sodium.  Also, with having early osteoporosis (osteopenia is what that's called) in my lumbar spine, I need the calcium that's in it.  Anyway, I had ran it by my study nurse and she okayed it.  She said that as long as I didn't take it within the 2 hr treatment meds window it was fine.  I have to not take it 2 hrs before or 2 hrs after the Riba, so I'm taking it in the middle of the day at lunchtime.

Susan400
So now I have done some research on Vitamin A. I found the same numbers over and over again on different US sites and just slightly different on UK and Danish sites.

USA                               UK / DK

The RDA for woman over 14 is 700 mcg  =  2.310 IU             800 mcg = 2.640

The RDA for men over 14 is     900 mcg  =  3.000 IU           1000 mcg  = 3.300

If you had it approved by the study nurse, than it is especially approved for you and I respect that totally.

That high a vitamin A content, might not be suitable for u others though.

I guess we should all go for what we think is right for us and definitely check with the health professionals first, as we are all different.

Thanks again for your input.

Marcia
typo .... for us others tough.

And thanks for mentioning not to take the vits 2 hrs before or after Riba.

There is so much to learn .... Sometimes my head starts spinning. :-)

Look for MVI for women over 50, they do not contain iron. Leah
Thank you everyone for your input.

In the end I decided to go for ebA multivitamins, which don't have the iron nor the A.

What is in these is enough supplement for me, as I believe I get enough of all the other vitamins from my organic whole grain, lots of vegetables and fruit, pulses, beans, healthy oils etc. diet.

Marcia
Ty for the link abbas a good one.

ca
Great info...Tks
Great! Thanks so much. Very interesting. I have already ordered the multivitamin I had mentioned above, but I think it would be a good idea to supply the other important stuff individually to the multivitamin.

Marcia