My Girlfriend has Hep C
II know that I cannot contract hep c unless I have blood to blood contact. I know the virus cannot be tranfered through vaginal fluids. So..How safe is protected sex? Is it safe to preform oral sex on a woman that has this virus? Can a woman who has hep c preform oral sex on a man?? I appreciate your time and thank you in advance.

Concerned in So Cal
I've had Hep C for more than 25 years and am now at the point where I will be starting tx on Sunday. My husband and I have been married going on 15 years this August 31st. We both participate in oral sex now and have always since day 1. He has not stopped. He does not have HCV. I had a hysterectomy before I met him, it was during my previous marriage. But if your girlfriend is still menustrating, I would be careful if I were you.
What is her disease status? Has she had a biopsy? Is she having any symptoms? Do you know what genotype she is? What is her viral load? Is your only concern if you can catch it from having sex with her? Sorry if I have it wrong, but it sounds like your concern is about yourself and not about her having this disease.
If you are having protected sex you with her that means you are protected. If you engage in activities that can result in blood to blood contact then you could be exposed. There is a small (3-5%) chance of passing it to you that does exist but in studies done with monogamous couples over a decade not one person contracted it from their infeted partner.The risk is small, but it does exist.
Please don't get me wrong...I care for her deeply and that was the first thing I was trying to research...is it terminal and can it ber treated. Didn't mean for my question to come off that way. But I am in a relationship with her and those were thoughts and concerns I was having.
Bay and Kalio have given you good advice.  I just wanted to point out that I noticed how many question marks that you used at places in your post. The number of question marks indicates the significance of the questions. ;)
I am a 35 yr old male and she is 31...
LOL!! Right back. Thanks for the reply! I really like her and I all I want, is to be there for her and be able to understand exactly what HCV really is. It's off to work but I'll be back. Thanks again everyone for your time!
Hep C is treatable but can be terminal for some folks if they get liver cancer.  Alcohol is not her friend.  She should go se a GI doctor and explore her options.  Treatment ain't easy or fun.  Chances of passing the disease in a monogamous relationship are less than 5%.  No sharing toothbrushes or nail clippers or razors.  Go to the www.janis7hepc.com website and you can get lots of information.
You are indeed a troublemaker! LOL. Relax man. Just always remember- blood to blood. Be careful- no rough biting & such. There was a time that I almost walked away from a wonderful woman because I thought I could give her this virus through sex, oral, etc. It was the Ladies of this fourm that saved me from being a stupid man!

NYGIRL, ANISE, CHEVY55 and all you Ladies, come on, save another stupid man! (kidding troublemaker)
SLIDEJAMES
Your fears are understandable. Most of us think of ourselves first. Many relationships can't make it through the DX. Sex transmission is so low I am not really sure where they got the statistic.

Just become educated as you can....
Thank you