My kitten scratched me - need input
I know this has been discussed before, but I am still not sure what to think.

My kitten just scratched me badly and I wonder how long the virus can live on/in her claws.
She plays with my little daughter constantly and occasional scratches are common.

Never thought of that when I got her for Christmas! :(

Any input welcome!
HCA
The virus needs human liver cells in order to replicate,so it won't be replicating in the kittens paws.
Dip it's paws in a mild bleach solution and that should put your mind at rest.
It looks more like a goose or a swan than a cat.
I don't think you can get HCV from being goosed?
Whatever you do, don't dip the kitten's paws in bleach!!  

Guaranteed you will get scratched again.  Then the cat will run all over your furniture and carpets and leave little bleach spots in his wake.  Finally the cat will calm down and lick the potentially poisonous substance off his fur.  I don't know if bleach kills cats, or if it might just make them vomit, but I wouldn't want to find out.

k
Next time you get scratched, Kick the cat.
It will soon learn not to scratch.
Well Guys,
I was really worried about my little daughter, but apparently only the "other" talks are important.

Thanks KitKat14 and HCA.

To HCA:
I just need to know how long the virus lives outside the body, because my daughter can get it from the cat's claws.
HCA
I understood what you meant.
It can survive 'for hours' outside the body according to ;
Rick Sowodsky, MSPH

Senior Communicable Disease Specialist

Nevada Stage Health Division Aids Program    

This is the only web reference I could find,but there maybe others.
The suggestion was to rinse the cat's paws in a mild bleach solution (not neat bleach as Kit cat who didnt read my reply properly thought) and rinse off with water.
This will kill it stone dead-the virus that is, not the kitten who will just be mildly bemused.
"How long can HAV, HBV, and HCV survive outside the body?"

"Recent studies have shown that HCV can survive outside the body and still transmit infection for 16 hours, but not longer than 4 days."

http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/frequently-asked-questions-about-viral-hepatitis
i felt the same way when i went to pump gas and noticed i was bleeding from a 2mm cut on my hand and immediately dabbed some hand alcohol gel on the wound.  that was followed my a very long moment of worry.  
Thanks a lot. I'll check it out.

Wow, 4 days is a long time.

Thanks a lot for your help.
You said in a recent post that:

"HepC thought (sic) me to see life with different eyes and on a different level and to value the most important things in life and to not sweat over the small stuff."

If I had to choose between worrying about HCV transmission via the cat or your daughter playing with her 'constantly' in a situation where it's 'common' for the cat to scratch her,  I'd worry about your daughter's eyes being scratched out, not about HCV.  Speaking of eyes, damaged vision isn't small stuff.

Perhaps it would be in your daughter's best interest that you place the newly-acquired cat in a different home. Then you won't have to worry about HCV transmission, either.

Hope all is well.
From Caring Ambassadors, Ask a Doc.
http://www.hepcchallenge.org/doctalkquestion.php?mode=show_all&category_id=4&cur_page=2

Q: Can you get hepatitis C from a cat scratch. If a cat scratches someone with hepatitis C can it be given to someone else living in the house that is scratched by the cat?

A: There has never been a reported case of hepatitis C being passed via a cat scratch. I cannot say it is impossible if there were a significant amount of blood involved and the scratches were deep - but it is my opinion that it would be highly unlikely to be infected with the hepatitis C virus is this way.

And an old MH Link. Read the bottom post.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/hepatitis/messages/36630.html

Hope this Helps
CS

I agree 100% with Portann on this one. The Kitten is only doing what is natural and will continue this behavior. If this will continue to cause concern, maybe a new home for the kitten is needed.
Cat scratch hepper, yeah yeah yeah....cat scratch hepper, yeah yeah yeah
Kittens usually outgrow the scratching--especially if they are taught to not do it. I've had cats my whole life. I've been scratched. A lot. I had children. They don't have Hep C. My husband does not have Hep C. The cats did not spread my Hep C.

I guess I just want to stick up for the kitty because my big seventeen pound orange tiger is providing me such comfort these days. There's nothing like having him purring next to me and being devoted while I'm running a temp and feeling crummy.
Your original comment had me LMAO
I disagree with Portann & RGlass.  Cats like all other pets are commitments.  Plus, they teach responsibility to children and bring comfort to all.
Thanks to all of you!
I am keeping the kitten and pertaining to the scratches I got the answers to all of my questions. No doubts now.
Yuk, I think you are missing the point. We are talking about a kitten not a cat. Kittens like to play and let’s face it; a kitten is not easily trained. Her concern is the transmition of HCV to her children from a cat scratch. The kitten is only doing what comes natural and will continue until it grows out of it or if possible, trained. In the mean time there will be several cat scratches. Thus the conclusion “If this will continue to cause concern, maybe a new home for the kitten is needed.”
Hi,  I had the same question since my late husband had hepc and we have 7 cats and are always getting scratched.  There are So many ways to transmit this virus that one worries about every little thing.  I was surprised no one mentioned clipping the kittens claws.  Esp since it's still little, if you start now it will get used to it and it will be great when it grows up.  Very interesting info re: lifespan of hcv outside the body.  Have finished treatment, last pills were Sunday (!!!YAY!!!) now will wait until 12th week to have RNA and see if it took.  I pray it did and won't worry about the future.  Gotta live each day to the fullest.  Thanks to all here, bless you all.  I was looking for the facebook link to make this one of my "fans of" but am still looking.  People need to know we are out here and fighting a tough battle, anyone who needs support and answers/opinions on this will love to find this site.  Altho I couldn't think straight the first few? months, once I could I needed this place.  Guess I'm still a little foggy since I've rambled on so.  Sorry.  June
Thanks for your thoughts,
that's the one thing I did already. I've figured out that if I clip the kitten's claws now I most probably will cut off the parts that came in touch with my own scratch. Now I am not so worried. I'm training the kitten not to play rough with me (not a success always of course, but there is a huge progress already) and she is pretty good. She plays with all my people though, which is ok. I never got scratched up to the other day. I think I can manage it.

Glad for you that you are off tx. Hope for the best. I'll pray for you. Only one step away from SVR.
GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR LIFE!
http://www.softpaws.com/colors.html
hey thanks,

this looks really weird, but what the heck it's worth trying it. It sounds promising though. And we all may liked it as well :), except the kitten maybe. who knows...

a.
do let us know what color you pick, pictures would be even better :)
she is a girl - pink would be the best... :)
yeah, pictures tell a lot   LOL
If you do try out this product (soft paws), please let me know how things work out.  I am really curious to see whether they work or not, and how a cat would tolerate them.  I hate the idea of "declawing" a cat (removing the end joint of each finger) because it just seems so barbaric a procedure.  Hopefully,  this will prove to be a reasonable alternative for those cat owners who have cats who stay indoors.

Needless to say, my boys all go outside and needs their claws to defend themselves against the neighbourhood tom cat. His name is Kaiser and the name definitely suits him!!  LOL
I'll let you know once I try it. I hope it'll work.
I don't like the idea of declawing either.

Yeah, keep them boys with claws so they can always win the war... :)
I think they may defeat the purpose with all of the bloodshed just getting them on.

Actually, my ex used them and they didn’t stay on very long.
Actually, my ex used (claw covers) and they didn’t stay on very long.
------------------------------------------
I can certainly see why she's your "ex" then :)