NAFLD Without Cirrhosis Linked to HCC Risk
NAFLD Without Cirrhosis Linked to Liver Cancer Risk

Daniel M. Keller, PhD
Nov 29, 2012

BOSTON — Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) without cirrhosis is an independent risk factor for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), and is becoming more of a risk factor than NAFLD with cirrhosis.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/775289?src=nldne

I tried to post the entire article but the limit of 2000 character is so ridiculously restrictive that I gave up trying to cut it into permissible segments. You can view the article at medscape but you must be registered to view. Registration is free and easy and well worth the time and effort - so take a minute and read the article - of you're interested. It certainly goes against what we've been led to believe about the risk of HCC without cirrhosis.

Mike

Howdy Mike.  Thanks for the heads up on the character limitation.  I tried to post something that never would post.  That may be it.  You would think there would be an error code.  (I never got one; just a never ending posting notice that never completed.

In the balance there *is* extra room for these super-cool videos thrust into the threads;
(such as)
Click to play "Eat Carrots for better Vision"  Yeah, baby!!!

Thanks for the link.
I read it and if I understand it correctly the article states that a person w/o cirrhosis but with fatty liver is at greater risk for HCC then someone with cirrhosis and fatty liver.
If that is the case, it sort of turns my thinking on its side...
Fatty liver can increase fibrosis leading to cirrhosis and what followed in my mind was that once cirrhotic a person is at greater risk for HCC. But according to this article it is an independent factor and can cause a person to be at greater risk for HCC *before* becoming cirrhotic.
Do I have that right?
That was my take as well.