Hepatitis C Community
NO MORE FAT ON MY THIGHS FOR SHOT

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

NO MORE FAT ON MY THIGHS FOR SHOT

I DECIDED TO GO AHEAD AND OPEN A THREAD SINCE IT'S LATE SATURDAY NITE AND I FOUND ROOM. HERE GOES...I AM IN WEEK 13 AND I HAVE BEEN GIVING MY SHOT IN MY THIGHS WELL, I AM NOTICING THAT I AM RUNNING OUT OF FAT ON MY THIGHS TO GIVE MY SHOT. I HEARD YOU CAN GIVE IT IN THE STOMACH AND THE BACK OF THE ARMS. BACK OF THE ARMS IS OUT OF THE QUESTION SINCE ONLY I GIVE MYSELF THE SHOT AND I CAN'T REACH BACK THERE. I AM SO NERVOUS ABOUT GIVING IT IN THE STOMACH. I READ SOMEWHERE THAT YOU CAN'T GIVE IT NEAR SCARS AND MY STOMACH IS FULL OF SCARS FROM PAST SURGERYS. SOOOO...WHERE DO I GIVE IT? ALSO, I HAVE NOTICED THAT THERE IS SOMETIMES A SMALL DRIP OF MED THAT COMES DOWN MY LEG AFTER I GIVE THE SHOT, IS THIS NORMAL OR AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG? I ALSO READ THAT YOU SHOULD GENTLY PINCH THE SKIN THEN GIVE THE INJECTION. I DO THAT BUT I KEEP IT PINCHED TILL I PULL THE NEEDLE OUT..I READ SOMEWHERE HERE THAT YOU SHOULD PINCH THEN PUT THE NEEDLE IN AND THEN RELEASE THE PINCH THEN GIVE THE MED. I WOULD THINK THAT LETTING GO OF THE PINCH WHILE THE NEEDLE IS STILL IN, WOULD HURT. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE. THANKS.
How long have you been treating?  Are you having real bad site reactions, bruising, etc?  When I was on tx, I rotated from my thighs to my stomach and back again, never had any real bad site reactions at all, some tenderness once in a while but that was it.  The needle is so small you dont really have to worry about having 'fat' to inject into, it cant hit anything vital...also yes dont hold the pinch, doesnt hurt any more than the first stick or injecting, at least for me anyway...and if you are getting some med drip out after make sure you are pushing the plunger all the way down, but I think a drip or 2 is no big deal really...
oops sorry just read your post again, you are on week 13 ... if you are not having site reactions just go back and forth on your thighs for the shot, inside and outside, you dont need to give the shot in a totally differnt place each time...
O.K-you are supposed to pinch,insert,release,plunge.
The dribble is avoided by allowing the needle to remain in position for a few seconds after plunging.
I picked up this info from an Hep.Nurse on line some ago,and I think it's good advice
Hi.  You can inject in the stomach as well as long at it is below the belly button.  I rotate between left thigh, right thigh and then stomach.
Are you using a syringe or the Redipen? I've read that sometimes the Redipen "drips" a little if you don't hold it in long enough after you compress the device. I've never used Redipen so maybe others can say.

If you use a syringe, you shouldn't get any dripping if you do it right.

For syringes, I'd make sure that the needle is inserted between 45 and 90 degrees. If you use too much of an angle, there's the possiblity the medicine might put pressure too near the skin and then leak. Alternatively, if you prefer to inject just under your skin, you can inject VERY slowly (even starting and stopping) to allow the "lump" of meds just under your skin to dissipate.

The other thing is to make sure the needle doesn't go in one end and out the other -- this happened to me on one of my early shots in my skinny thigh :)  Again, the remedy is to make sure the angle is correct and look carefully that the needle is all the way in.

Lastly, like HCA suggests, make sure you depress the plunger all the way in and hold a second or two to make sure all the meds get out.

Proper procedure is to pinch, stick, and then release. This process also allows you to use both hands if you want to pull back the plunger a bit to check for blood. Hard enough to do with two hands, wouldn't want to try it with one.

Stomach area is very good especially if you have some fat there. I also use love handles on side. They suggest not to inject in or near the belly button and along the waist line.

Some more info here from Janis site plus a diagram of where you can inject:
http://janis7hepc.com/treatment_help.htm#h

-- Jim

OK. I USE THE REDIPEN. SO...I'M SUPPOSED TO PINCH, INSERT THE NEEDLE, RELEASE AND THE PUSH IN MEDS? WOULDN'T IT HURT IF YOU RELEASE THE PINCH WHILE THE NEEDLE IS IN?
Don't know much about Redipen except folks say dripping can happen if you don't keep it in for a few seconds after you finish the shot. The "pinch and release" instructions were for a syringe.

-- Jim
Hello to all, I am week 15th and I wonder about room and its gettin harder to find a spot on belly,  not near waistline and and stright up and down not that area. I might not be explaining this right. MD says with showing me  no waist no stright up and down in stomach like a T!!  I have a scar too there. I got some fat and can switch to legs but I am trying to hold out to see How much TX I will be moving on weeks and I am anemic and cant even write, Iam trying to hold on, my test come back and, cant think some times and just to type I am tired! Im gonna get on Janice and fiends and see that drawing of where to give shots. I think you guys are the greatest!!! God bless   By the way my numbers March 8th were 129385 and on  Oct 10th test was negative, I am hoping that I only have TOTAL of weeks 24 instead of 48. I go on Oct 29th to the md. I hope with this anemic I can make it.gets any worse I  will go to ER. I am so sick of these three rebetol and I am hoping he will drop a couple of them.i am type 1 and mild bridging fibrosis!Any opinions? need everyones noggin,My alt and ast are 29 and27. Hope all are doing geat, I need this site and it helps me so much. I HATE REBETOL . Aubbie
THANKS.
If you're not already on Procrit, you should be for your anemia. If you reduce the ribavirin, you may reduce your chances for success. With Procrit, you may not have to reduce the ribavirin and should feel a lot better. Generally, you need 48 weeks if your're a genotype 1. I'm assuming then you're a genotype 2 since you're talking about 24 weeks.

-- Jim
THERE IS A FRENCH STUDY THAT IF YOU ARE A LOW VIRAL COUNT AND YOU ARE AND SHOW CLEAR AT WEEK 4 THAT 24 WEEKS WORKS AS WELL AS 48 WEEKS FOR GENO 1. I WOULD BE AFRAID OF CUTTING IT SHORT UNLESS THE SIDES ARE UNBEARABLE. GOOD LUCK WHICH EVER WAY YOU GO.
BOBBY
TRY THIS
http://www.biotech-intelligence.com/html/html/de23abadef48c89fe11300886e9c25db.html
the shot is supposed to be sub Q, subcutaneous. means under the skin, it does not have to be in fat tissue. anywhere you can pinch some skin, you should be able to do the shot. even your buttocks.  the drip could be from holding the pinch while injecting. I used to do the same and after releasing the pinch the med was able to go into the tissue instead of dripping out. It is going to hurt the same whether it goes in pinched or not. after 13 wks, I would think we are used to the feeling already.

aubbie:
get procrit soon, your quality of life should not suffer to the point of destruction. INsist on intervention.  Don't try to shortchange yourself on tx length because of a couple of studies that are trying to appeal to the hep c market with shorter tx. People relapse with EVR s also, which means you would have to tx for over 48 wks the next time.  Ask for Procrit so you can finsih your tx in one piece.
I READ YOU SHOULD NOT GIVE SHOT NEAR SCARS. I HAVE SEVERAL SCARS ON MY STOMACH BUT IT IS TOTALLY COVERED WITH SCARS. CAN I STILL GIVE IT IN THE STOMACH WHERE THERE IS NO SCARS AND IF SO WHERE AT IN THE STOMACH? I READ NOT BELOW THE BELLY BUTTON AND NOT IN THE T AREA. CAN YOU GIVE IT BELOW THE BREAST AREA? WHAT ABOUT ON THE SIDES?
I inject below the belly button,usuallly to either side, and sometimes toward lower love handles. Just don't inject in belly button or directly along the waist line.

A good diagram here, just scroll down: http://janis7hepc.com/treatment_help.htm#h

WITH THE REDIPEN, DO YOU HAVE TO PINCH THE SKIN?
Hey Jim:

Just wondering how the B-12 shot went?

Beth
Fres,
The instructions for redipen are badly written but it appears you do not release the pinch until after the shot. There's also a video but I couldn't load it. http://tinyurl.com/au7a5
If you can't access the video, maybe you should call Shearing's "Nurse In Charge" program Monday.

Veggie,

Did the injection yesterday afternoon. 24-hours later not sure if I feel any difference but maybe it will help my Hgb eventually.
More in the thread "Hepatitis C, Pegasys treatment  and Low WBC" below.
me too. take care and talk to ya later
I thought I felt a bit of a temporary "flush" after the shot and maybe some more energy in the afternoon but today I slept alot, so who knows. I think there's as much preservative in the shot as a Big Mac so possibly your husband's bad reaction was due to the preservatives. Also, I'm not sure I got into the muscle and will probably use a longer needle next time.

-- Jim
Don't you think after 13 weeks you should be talking to your np or doc. if you dont know if your getting it right? Do you not ever see them
YES AFTER 13 WEEKS I DO SEE MY GI, REGULARLY. HE DOES NOT INJECT WEEKLY AND I DO. THIS FORUM IS TO TALK AND DISCUSS WITH OTHER PEOPLE WHO ALSO DEAL WITH HEP C AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M DOING. OKAY?!
BY THE WAY, I DON'T RECALL SEEING YOU ON THIS FORUM BEFORE. ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH HEP C? DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW YOU WOULD ATTEMPT TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS HERE? GENOTYPE, VIRAL LOAD, TREATMENT, ETC.? DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED. THIS FORUM IS MY HOME AWAY FROM HOME. THAT'S THE WAY IT'S BEEN AND THAT'S THE WAY IT'S GONNA STAY.
GEEZ. you say "don't even get be started", Well excuse me. But id hate to think meds was running down my leg for 13 weeks and i didn''t ask my doc. I wasn't trying to be sh..y, and yes i have hcv and know more then i care to know about this stinkin virus. have a good take
I READ ON THIS FORUM THAT I AM, MORE THAN LIKELY, TAKING THE REDIPEN OUT BEFORE ALL THE MED IS IN. THAT QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED....HERE....ON THIS FORUM. IF I HAVE QUESTIONS FOR MY GI, I ASK THEM OTHERWISE I COME HERE. YOU HAVE HCV? YA, ME TOO. HEY, WE HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON. WHAT A SMALL WORLD.
BTW...PEACE AND YOU TAKE GOOD CARE ALSO.
PS. YA SOMETIMES THIS STINKIN' THING CAN MAKE US IRRITABLE AND ALL-OUT GROUCHY. FORGIVE ME FOR MY MOMENT OF RIBA RAGE.
Is TX injections the same as PEG under the skin?  I have had site reaction since the first shot and am on #23 of 48 now. about a day before I take the injection the last place gets real red and sore but goes way in about two days.  I give them to my self most of the time sometimes my wife with get them and I have her do it in the back of the arm.  If PEG is the same as TX injection under the skin I would think you could never run out of spots on your legs.  I think about 18 of the 23 have been in my legs I did the  stomach but it reacted faster than in my leg and stayed red for over a week the doctor told me not to use the stomach again. I think part of that problem was It was my first few shots and I was going deeper than I should have. Now being a old pro at it the better injection seem to be the one I am able to just get under the skin they burn a little more but the don
Peace and good luck to yeah, im type 1a viral load of 1.5 million. bx showed stage 4 tring to get all my ducks in a row with ins. so i can start tx. I understand the rage people have as this **** really stress's you out. Then all the meds and worry that go's with them, the wondering if its working. If you feel the need to shout, scream or vent you can do so at me anytime...lol I think we all need to sometimes. This is a great site, i don't post often as i seem to find my questions have been answered by others here. Good luck and remember if you want to scream or shout go ahead i can-do take it.

PEACE
THANKS, JIM. I FOUND THE VIDEO AND YOU ARE RIGHT, HOLD THE PINCH. FOR A WHILE THERE I THOUGHT I HAD BEEN DOING SOMETHING WRONG BUT I GUESS I'M DOING OKAY. DEFINETLY FEELING SIDES SO THAT INTERFERON MUST BE IN THERE. ALONG WITH ALL THE SIDES I AM FEELING ANOTHER ONE.....UNSURE OF MYSELF ABOUT THINGS THAT I DO. DON'T KNOW WHY THAT CAME ON CAUSE I AM USUALLY A CONFIDENT GO-GETTER BUT LATELY I AM FEELING UNSURE ABOUT ODD THINGS AND A LITTLE INSECURE ALSO. ANYWAY, THANKS JIM. YOU TAKE CARE NOW..... YOU HEAR.            ELIZABETH
That's very normal second-guessing and feeling unsure about things while on tx. These drugs play games on body and mind. I think the reason they tell you to let go of the pinch with Pegasys is because if you didn't you wouldn't be able to pull-back on the syringe easily with only one hand. With Redi Pen, on the other hand, you don't pull back on anything so you can keep holding the pinch. Boy will I be glad when tx is over.
Okay, good...I am glad you didn't get any negative reactions :)

I hope it helps!!

This forum is for support but it does not take the place of medical guidance, it says so in the disclaimer. If anyone has specific questions or are not sure of what they are doing and how they are doing it, this forum is a guide, but the questions should be directed to a medical professional; pharmacist, PCP, GI, or the drug company's helpline. Please remember to do so. We only like to play doctors here, some more than others.

I don't have the redi-pen instructions with me but I recall that you should leave the needle in for 5 seconds after the plunger is all the way in.  Sometimes those last couple of millimeters are difficult to press in.  Also, some of the dripping could be from the pressure created in the mixing process.  The instructions also say that after mixing you screw on the needle.  When this happes the pressure release a few drops (expected).  This may be what's running down you leg and not something leaking out of the injection site.
Make sure that when you are doing the mixing and needle prep that the redi-pen is vertical, pointy end up.

FIGUY  I GOT IT ALL STRAIGHT NOW THANKS. YOU GUYS ARE LOTS OF HELP.

CUTEUS  MY GI JUST HIRED A NEW NURSE ASSISTANT WHO IS NOT FAMILIAR WITH ALL THE DETAILS OF GIVING REDIPEN INJECTIONS. SHE JUST KNOWS THE BASIC STUFF RIGHT NOW BUT I'M SURE SHE WILL CATCH ON REAL QUICK. I USE THIS FORUM WHEN I FEEL THE NEED OR WHEN GI IS UNAVAILABLE. IT HAS BEEN VERY VERY HELPFUL TO ME. I KNOW THERE MAY NOT BE ANY DOCTORS HERE BUT THERE ARE OTHER HELPFUL AND USEFUL PEOPLE HERE MOST WITH HEP C THAT UNDERSTAND AND KNOW WHERE I AM COMING FROM. ALOT HAVE HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCES AS I. I READ THE RULES BEFORE I CAME HERE. THANKS ANYWAY FOR YOUR INPUT.
i reread what i wrote and it didn't look right to me. i didn't mean to sound tacky. i understand where you are coming from and i will keep, what you said, in mind. you are right, when it comes to serious questions i will ask my doctor or pharmacist. thanks for the reminder. take care
I know where you are coming from, it is not only you, of course, that is why I did not direct the comment to you. It happens all the time, people come in asking if they should double the riba because they missed one dose, how to change the shot day, should they take the riba the last wk of tx, etc.  It is fine to ask, but only as a sidekick to having consulted with the provider, not in place of, which happens too often. Well meant members offer their opinion and the poster accepts it without ever consulting with the provider. It is scary and dangerous.  I know some providers make themselves inaccessible, but then there is the pharmacist and the drug co helpline with a knowledgeable Rn on call, calling them is as easy as typing a question here and safer.  We sometimes seem to forget the rules in our eagerness to help and forget to make sure the person asks a professional.
Again, it happens all the time, so it is not personal.
stay well
I too was told to leave the needle in for at least five seconds (with either the peg or the Procrit) just to make sure it all gets in there.

I have the same problem with fat - I didn't start with hardly any and the big procrit needle is so much longer than the epi pen there's like no where for it to go into.  Going to have to use my arm or something what a mess.
Hmmmm. My procrit syringes don't have long needles. Long barrel, but not a long needle. 23mm, 27 1/2 guage, I believe. No stinging the first time either. Per Jim's suggestion, I shot it realllllll slow.

W/ Peg, Nuepogen, and Procrit going on, I just jab one thigh or the other, without much regard to where. I can't tell where I've been, so I don't worry about it. Hope it's OK.