Hepatitis C Community
Need help. Possible Hep B Exposure.

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Need help. Possible Hep B Exposure.

Hi. I have not had any Hepatitis Vaccinations.

My girlfriend is a Phlebodomist and just started this week.
The other day (two days ago) she had to draw someone's blood that had
Hepatitis B.
This made me really nervous reading about how contagious it was.
I know it has to be exposed via blood or other mucas or secretions but I read it can live up to 10 days out of the body.
I know that person may have been sick or something.
What if they sneezed and she touched it or something? She said she did not get stuck but what if she did and did not tell me? I know she has had the vaccines. I actually saw her paperwork when we signed her up for phlebotomy classes.
I am just nervous because I already have health problems.

I have some health problems already. I have Cystic Fibrosis and Diabetes.
The Cystic Fibrosis already causes some complications with the liver
(high counts when liver tested etc.) It is just something that happens sometimes with Cystic Fibrosis.
I am going to get vaccinated soon for A and B.
However... I read about a shot called HBIG which can be given to people who were exposed. I read that you should do it within 7 days of exposure and the best is within 48 hrs.
I think it has been two days now since she came in contact with this person.
Another thing that scares me is that it says the HBIG shot is made of plasma from humans and it is possible to get a virus FROM the shot.

Should I get this shot when I go to get vaccinated?
It has been two days now since she was at work and this happened.
What are the risks of getting a different virus FROM the HBIG shot?
Can you get the HBIG and start the vaccine series at the same time?

If the risks are very low and there is nothing to worry about I would like to get it just in case. Especially since she will be working drawing peoples blood everyday and you never know when something could happen.
I know that the Hep B shot has to be stretched out with three shots during a 6-9 month span and I don't want anything to happen during that time if an accident with her drawing blood was to occur. I also read that the HBIG shot can protect you from 3-6 months. That is another reason why I am thinking about getting it.

Can someone give me some advice on this?
What are the risks that I could get Hep B from this situation?
let me get this straight.  You are worried about your Gf transmitting Hbv to you because she had an exposure from a third party?  You said she has been vaccinated right?  Then, there is NO way she can transmit Hbv to you since she could not possibly have Hbv.  you cannot transmit to someone what you do not have.

Your Hbv risk in this situation is  -0-.
The reason I was worried is that if she had touched the secretion (blood) or some sort of saliva or other way (touched a surface area with it on it) perhaps it could be on her but not in her body.
I read that the virus can live outside the body for up to ten days and this really worries me.

Again the reason I am also really concerned is given my current health problems that I have, I need to always be carefull with any sickness I could possible come in contact with.

I talked to one nurse in my doctor's office that said that even if she has had the vaccine, she could still transfer it if she came in contact with it. I talked to another person at a health center that said she could not. But if she touched a surface area and got something on her skin that had the virus, since it can live up to ten days outside the body then it could be transferred to me couldnt it?
Also her exposure was not from a third party.
She is a phlebotomist and drew someone's blood that has HBV. She said she did not get stuck or anything but if they guy somehow got any secretions on a surface area or on her, since it can live so long outside the body... it could come in contact with me correct?
I think we need more "can I catch HBV from my neighbor's dog after he licks a poopie on the sidewalk?" questions. There just haven't been enough of them lately.
I came here to get help not to be criticized. I am not familiar with how the disease is spread completely and I came here to get information. Perhaps you should hold your critizism for those who could care less about safety as to those who are not well educated on the subject and are trying to be safe.
I am simply trying to get some help.

If the virus can live outside the body for ten days and I came in contact with her body where she came in contact with it.... I could get it could'nt I?
i think the best way to resolve this is go get tested....When a person is fearful of something you cannot take another persons word that you have nothing to worry about. Go get tested and this way you wont have to dwell on this any longer.

You have nothing to worry about. ( My opinion only)
Another question is this. I was thinking about getting the HBIG shot also because the vaccine takes six months to complete.
The HBIG can protect you from the virus for up to three months.

She works as a phlebotomist like I said so she is around this thing all the time now.
I was thinking this could protect me during the time that I had not completed the three shot intervals for the B vaccine.

But I read that HBIG is derived from human plasma. Couldn't I get another virus such as Hep, A, B, or C or HIV from the shot itself or could it harm me in any other way if I got it without having the B virus in my blood?
My suggestion is you have alot of questions and fears regarding this issue. Speak to a reputable doctor and this way you will know whats what.

take it easy
Get the HBV immunoglobulin shot if you're stressed and want protection NOW. Then start your series of hep B shots, you should get them even if you are a hypochondriacal paranoid (everyone should). And FYI, I just got my hep B shots and recently the FDA has approved a condensed one month hep B vaccination schedule. Shot 1 on day 1, shot 2 on day 7, then shot 3 on day 30 (and that's it, no 6 month follow up). Also don't forget your hep A and tetanus while you're at it. In the meantime avoid rusty nails, food, people, animals, the outdoors and yourself. ;-)