Hepatitis C Community
Need help understanding blood work

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Need help understanding blood work

I'm new to this and just received my blood work. These are the numbers that were out of line. I’m lost, can someone help me understand where I’m at?

Genotype 2b
Ferritin    488 H     20-380 ng/mL
ANA Screen, IFA      Positive
ANA Pattern  Speckled
ANA Titer   1:160  H
HCV RNA, Quantitative    Real time PCR    906353  H  <43 IU/mL
HCV RNA Quantitative    Real time PCR    5.96  H   <1.63   Log IU/mL

Thanks to all,   Jack
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the good words! I referenced to the ANA numbers a bit above. I’m not overly familiar with this, but the ANA test deals with antinuclear antibodies. I believe this is a test that checks for autoimmune conditions, but isn’t specific for any one of them. Other tests might be required to pinpoint what, if any exist.

Autoimmune diseases coupled with HCV can be problematic when treatment commences; they often don’t mix well with interferon. Do you know if you have rheumatoid arthritis or similar problems?

The website lab tests online has some info:

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ana/tab/test

Take care, and again welcome to the discussion group-

--Bill

Sorry to say this but you have hep c genotype 2b with a viral load of 906353 IU/ml. Sorry to be so blunt. Welcome to the forum you are in the right place to ask questions lots of knowledgable and treatment savy people here
Your next step should be to get a referal to a hepatologist or GI doc that has expirience treating hep c, on a good note you have the easiest genotype to treat
The good news is your type 2, if you got to have hep c this is the genotype to have........... Welcome here, and best to you.
In addition to the HCV positive results that hrsepwr guy mentioned, it appears you may have some autoimmune issues as well as iron storage problems. Be sure to discuss these with your GI doc/hepatologist at your initial consult; they both can have adverse effects on liver disease and HCV management.

Good luck and welcome to the discussion group,

--Bill
I sure hope a doctor went over these with you and just didn't, hand them to you!   Welcome to the group, find a good doctor and keep us posted. Don,t be afraid to ask questions....
mo
Hi Jak...welcome to the forum.  I noticed your Ferritin levels were high.  Do you by any chance have blisters on the back of your hands or sun sensitivity?  I have Hep C Geno 1b and am concerned about PCT.  Have a great day

Jules
Hi jules2551,  No blisters. I have always been sensitive to the sun (blond; blue) but it seems I am much more sensitive these days. Bright lights seem to bother my eyes more too.  

Brianmo, I just received the blood work in the mail (I asked them to send me a copy), I wanted to look at it before I went back the the Hepatologist. He has received my ultrasound and I've asked he call me. I have my second appointment in two weeks but at this point I am going to ask him if I should get a biopsy before my next apt.

Bill1954, I have read many of your post here. You seem to hold a wealth of knowledge about this disease, lab work, and treatment. Thanks for responding.

hrsepwrguy and can-do-man, Thanks for the information and I appreciate the comments. I am glad to know my genotype is one of the more receptive to treatment.

I guess at this point I'm most concerned about the condition of my liver. Anything anyone can add I would be most grateful.

Thanks to all, I think I would be lost and terribly confused if not for this site.

Jack
Also, could someone tell me or direct me somewhere to find out what these numbers mean?

ANA Screen, IFA      Positive
ANA Pattern  Speckled
ANA Titer   1:160  H

Thanks again!
Looks like you are well aware of your situation and what steps to follow moving forward, I wish you all the best and hope your biopsy(if preformed) is good news and shows little damage.
Good luck to you and please keep us posted on our situation
Hi Jack,

--Bill