Hepatitis C Community
Need something???

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Need something???

I'm not sure what I'm looking for.. My Mother is 48 years old and has Hepatic liver failure she has Hep C, she is Anemic, and a gall bladder full of gall stones, she is so swallon she looks like she is ready to explode and to top it off she just recieved medical (government insurance), her current doctor says there is nothing more he can do for her so we have put on Hospice care... They told me they can only keep her comfortable till her time comes.... Is this really all we can do? There are so many medical break throughs and everyone is telling me my Mother is going die... Basically because we have no money... I just can't except it.... My Mother is telling me "she wants to live" and she is still very much in her right mind.. The medical professionals say it is only a matter of time I just don't know what to think.. Do I just sit here and watch my Mother Die or try to help her live?? I am trying to get my Mom on a donor list..It is just so much of a complicated process when you don't have a money like us or the knowledge of how it works.. Is this just a waist of time like everyone keeps telling me??? Tell me if I am crazy for hoping?? I just Love my Mother and it is driving me crazy that no one will help me figure a way to help her live.. I can't believe they have all given up on her life......Any ideas are appreciated.. I just need something.....Please.....
Your mother is still quite young, so I understand it must be very difficult for you both. We who write posts on this board are mostly hepatitis C patients, many the same age as your mother. Are you saying there might be something to do if you had the money? Or would money not matter, maybe that is your question? I am not knowledgeable enough to answer, but I want you to know that I feel empathy for your and your mother's situation. It must be very hard on you both. The last thing that leaves us is hope, when we love somebody very much we will hope. Zazza
Has she been seen by a liver specialist? A hepatologist? Is there a University Hospital near you? I too am sorry you and your Mom are having to deal with this...... I wish I had some answers.....
Yvonne
Thank you for your comments and I do realize that there are so many people who need the same thing as my mother... I thank you for your words of hope and as for the money question I don't think we could get what we wanted even if we had all the money in the world but we could get better doctors and better care then what we have now I do believe that... or maybe we just need to find a better hospital. I am hoping and praying that UCLA will look at her case and tell her she qualifies for thier transplant program but we'll have to wait for the those answers I guess this is part of the waiting game... I hope you get better soon keep the hope alive I know I will, thank you! Take care!
Yvonne, thank you for your thoughts.. Her doctor said her liver was too far gone so he only called a kidney specialist to look at her kidneys which are in great condition... A hepatologist?? What is that?? Her doctor never said anything about that.. I don't think we met one of those yet we are hoping to get into UCLA but till they evaluate her case we have to wait at least that is what the current hospital is telling me.. They say 2-3 weeks that process can take I guess I should be happy that the UCLA Team is even looking at her records its almost like another opinion thank you its okay if you don have answers your thoughts and concern and hope are enough thank you...
hi, sorry you are going through this. your mother is way to young for this to be happening. if your mother had a drink of alcohol in the last six months DO NOT tell transplant docs this or they will not consider someone for a transplant. while you are waiting for UCLA get your mother to a hepatologist (liver specialist) ASAP !!! best of luck and my prayers go out to you and your mom.
You're doing everything you can and knowing that is surely a blessing to your Mom. I do hope she can get into UCLA and see a hepatologist..preferably one that deals with liver transplant..but any Hep. dr. will do at this juncture. It is a good thing that they are looking at her records. I don't know your beliefs but if there ever was a time for prayer...this is it...and I will do that tonite for your Mom and your family.
Keep us posted.
Yvonne
my mother was diagnosed with hep c/cirrhosis 4years ago. she was 52. they believe she contracted hep c vis blood transfusion in the 70's. She found out she had hepc because she felt funny. So they ran numerous tests. By the time they found out she had hepc, cirrhosis began. she is currently in the final stages. she has been in the final stages the past year. interferon almost killed her. Her body couldnt handle it.  the past year she has had fluid build up, confusion due to fluid build up, huge belly from the fluid, sleeps alot, days & nights are flip flopped. Recently, shes emaciated, no balance, uses a walker, gets "tapped" (fluid removed every other week), water on brain (is taking meds for this), and is taking meds for removal of ammonia (laxative?) her kidneys are currently affected. Shes off balance and has fallen down even with a walker. Her blood doesnt make anything (wbc, rbc, platelets)Thats what I know. Shes home. In bed. she has one day a week where she feels ok to shower. Then she goes back to bed. this "lingering" state has been going on for months. doctors say she should have been dead a year ago.  My question is "how long will this last for?"  Any thoughts are truly appreciated....................................