Hepatitis C Community
Neuropathy and HepC

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Neuropathy and HepC

I am close to three years post tx, and I am a SVR.  About 3 mos. into tx, I developed numbness and tingling in my limbs.  It has progressed to permanent numbness in my face, back of neck, back, left shoulder, leg, and foot, right foot, ankle, and little finger.  I also have severe episodes of muscle tightness that can last for weeks.  No muscle relaxer seems to help.  I believe that the interferon triggered something in my body.  Maybe some auto-immune disease.  I am waiting to see a 4th neurologist.  The 2nd did an EMG test, and said that I had a sensory neuropathy, though he wasn't interested in persuing the reason for it.  I want to know what caused it, and what I can do to halt the progression.
I am hoping that somebody could direct me to some source of research, that could give me a clue.
I have heard of an association with peripheral neuropathy and HepC.
Have you heard of neurological problems such as mine, developing from treatment?
Any information that you could supply would be greatly appreciated.
granteehen1