Hepatitis C Community
Neutrophil levels?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Neutrophil levels?

Whats really acceptable for neutrophil levels ...At 1.5 should I be getting neupogen???
Hi there, my nuetriphils have gone down to .5 or 500. I took my second shot of nueprogen yesterday. I don't know your history but i do know some people have let them get pretty low i know Jmjm knows alot about this. I personally have decided that yesterday was going to be my last shot of nuepogen. The sx are very hard for me. Lots of bone pain. It might not be that way for eveyone but i only have 4 weeks left of tx and i don't want to add anything else to my body. Personally your nuetriphils do not sound that bad  to me. How long have you been on tx?
I've been bouncing between 1.0 and 1.2 for the last couple of months.  Just watching right now.  Hemo doc will take action at .5 (or 500) and not before.  If it gets to that point will be neupogen, not neulasta. I think at 1.5 you're ok and it reflects the meds you're on.
As Snow has indicated, 1.5, or 1,500, generally is not a level to be concerned with for one on tx.  For the most part .5, or 500, is the threshold where most turn to rescue meds (i.e. Neupogen) for help.

I believe I did one round when I hit .6, 600, which was perhaps due to the rate ate which it had dropped from 1.1 to .6.

The plus side is that unlike the weeks required by rescue meds for anemia, low ANC med (Neupogen) is very fast acting and can have your ANC at or above normal in a 3 day period.
My doc never prescribed even when my neuts got low - because they did bounce back up again on there own.

You have loads of room there - don't worry too much about it at all. One less shot is a good thing ;)
Thanks for everyone input..It does help me to understand better some of the readings of my cbc's....I didn't think about that my hemo is in great shape considering the level of TX........ at 26/48....I guess those are normal neuts, for this stage of tx....I know that if my hemo drops then I'm sure that would great cause for concern....
I was cruising under 500 for several months....once it was 442. Because I was clear at 12 weeks and I was about half way through the tx,  instead of neupogen my doc preferred a Pegasys dosage reduction down to 135mcg. I did the 48 weeks and never got an infection.
Nuepogen did the same thing to me. In fact, I looked forward to the Peg shot more than the Nuet's. I hobbled everywhere, using a cane a couple times.  Since coming off the Nuepogen latter part of Nov, I haven't had it as bad. Week 38 (tomorrow) and with only 10 to go, whats the chances of having to go back on it?  Blood work today showed WBC 2.6. A drop from 4.6 two weeks ago. NE# 1.5, a drop from 3.8.  PLT 167.  Roll with the punches I guess.  A 48 week rollercoaster ride.
Mine went down to 300, but I never knew it at the time, I was too busy worrying about my hgb.  My NP noticed it about a month later, and by then they had gone back up on their own.  (of course, she was mad because it was MY fault that she didn't read the Feb. blood work until March, but that's another whole story...)

I wondered why there were a couple of weeks that every injury I got became very infected, but I got some antibiotics from my PCP, and all seems to have worked itself out.

I guess if I notice infections again I'll check my ANC numbers, LOL.
I noticed here lately that everytime they take blood for cbc's, that I get a nasty bruise now no matter the phlebotomist...