Hepatitis C Community
New Diagnosis....losing the ability to spell correctly?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

verb: MiSSpelled: Spell incorrectly

I'm going to go out on a shaky limb here on the Hep C tree and ask if I am the only one who notices that when new folks show up with their straaaange questions, none of them can spell correctly?  I love this board, we are a very literate bunch of folks and most of us are better educated than my first gastro....but we get some questions that are real doozies and almost always from folks who cannot spell.

Now, perhaps folks who have been just diagnosed lose the ability to spell correctly from the shock of the diagnosis, I will not rule that out.  Myself, I sat on the sidewalk outside the lab and cried.  But my spelling ability stayed intact and I set out to educate myself, not by posting bizarre encounters, but by research, to know the true face of the beast I was face to face with.  I most certainly did not post here or anywhere else and demand answers.  I think when I was ready to post, I was very tentative and most polite, but I could always spell.

I think this mispelling thing is something we might want to take note of, perhaps it is a symptom of a new way of contracting Hep C...from daydreams or frustration perhaps?  

Like I said, I know I may be opening a can of worms here, but the concern sticks with me and it seems to be validated every Friday nite, by some mispelled, graphic post that is just so otherworldy....I get worried.  Is this a new symptom?  Should I invest in a good dictionary?  Is this loss of grammar a signal that the brain fog is getting denser?  Correctly spelled, inquiring minds are wondering.

Willows
I always assumed MISSpelled was the second runner up in a tobacco state beauty queen contest.  But thank you, I will buy the dictionary now in anticipation of needing it badly, very soon.
MRS. Spelled.

Anyhoooo - I go through phases. I can spell sometimes - and at others I cannot think of how to spell to save my life. And the longer I look at the word, the less I can spell it correctly. LMAO!

With that said - I must admit this: I find that around the world (mostly within the US) that there has been a noted lack of education, and the caring of education, specifically related to literature and spelling.

Especially with the new "1337" elite "speak":
U2 (not the band)
LOL
LMAO
ROFLMAO
l8tr
teh
no (interchangeable for know and sometimes seen as noing)
ghey
e

etc.

So I think with the lack of spelling surrounding us and the shortening of mainstay words, the ability to spell will most certainly become more noticeable to this generation --- but become the norm for the next.

Sad to say but every language seems to take a bastardization hit every 100 years and words of "today" pass into the past - and the future abides by the common language.

Especially English which is an ever-changing complicated conglomeration of spastic drivel.

LOL!

But yeah, I've noticed the simplistic "speech" of the questionable forum writers, especially on the "sex" topics.

Meki
Yes, there are people out there who really can't spell.  Being a good speller myself, I've always had a difficult time understanding how some people just can't grasp the basic fundamentals of phonetics.  One of my best friends, who passed away in 1995, had a PHD, but was a terrible speller.  Go figure.  

Try this on: What's another spelling for FISH, phonetically?   GHOTI.  Really.
    GH---enouGH
     O-----wOmen
     TI-----menTIon

Just one of the silly things that I could never forget.... (I've forgotten most everything else!!!)
Blame it on the school system...whole language...doesn't matter how you spell it, just as long as you are in the ballpark...used to drive me nuts when my kids were in elementary school...
I really noticed when i started to post, that i had a writing block, i was always leaving letters out of words and skipping words that i truly thought i wrote down...when i was txing it was way worse, and now 8 mths post its getting a little better, but not by much......

Yes,,,it does seem at times there is spelling errors! ha  Probably me some time or another!  Alot of times,,,,people are so busy trying to write how they feel,,,they don't proof and that is where sometimes words get mixed up,,,,or I think that at least and of course you throw a little tx in there and it could be just one of those days...

How many people have cirrohsis but have no idea how to spell it,,,lol
Some people are great spellers and some not. I don't judge anyone on their spelling abilities. It's hard enough to come on here and post, yet have someone judge you for putting an A where an E should be.
I write for a living and probably proof read a piece at least a dozen times before submitting. Of course, I spell check as well. And then my editors do the same.

The internet is different. I occasionally proof my comments once, but most often not. I keep reminding myself to get a spell check that works with this discussion group, but something else always pops up :)

Some may call it at bastardization of the English language, but I just call it the way language often lays out on the internet. But keep in mind, my English papers in high school were always like A/C -- where "A" was content and "D" grammar/spelling.

English teachers usually have excellent grammar and spelling but can't write their way out of a paper bag. I never got a long with English teachers and because of them thought I couldn't write since my "A/D" averaged out to a high C or low B. Then one day I read some great writer -- Hemingway maybe, can't remember -- couldn't spell for sh*t and his grammar made his editor's pull out their hair. Maybe times have changed since I was in high school, but IMO English teachers with their emphasis on grammar/spelling over content have inhibited far more potential writers than they helped. Boy, haven't had a chance to get this off my chest for some time. LOL.

-- Jim

PS Willow, I think you're referring to something different, as in perhaps intentional misspelling for one reason or another? Anyway, hope you're doing well these days.
you are so right.  Intentional misspelling for one reason or another, to make you scratch your head and wonder why.  But, there were a lot of very interesting posts, I just need better sarcasm skills.  I'm doing okay, hope you are well yourself.

many people have more to worry about then misspelled words. lets not forget that some posters are from other countries and even if not foreign,  when someone  just finds out they have a serious disease they may not be in their right mind. WHO CARES about spelling when you have a disease that can kill you!
I completely agree!!

WTH cares?
I had a very similar educational experience Jim.  So whadda ya say?  Wanna get married? ; ]

PS  Sorry for the joke Willows. I couldn't resist.  I know you were talking about the otherworldly "beam me up Scottie" posts we see from time to time.  Maybe it is a new symptom.  I couldn't even read never mind spell during tx.  Barely can now. ; ]
What the hell does spelling have to do with hep c? and because you can spell and others cant does that make you a better person???
WOW,, Kind of harsh. I know I can not spell, but thank god when I joined last year no one pointed it out, I had enough on my plate. Everone was a great help.
Pam
When your newly diagnosed with hepc you have many questions - yes they may seem a little straaaange to you - but this site is a great support for all who have hepc including us newbies.  Im not about to make fun of anybodys spelling.  Im with brown eyed girl - who cares?
Alternative spelling for Fido? Try Phydeaux.

Some of this is just terrible spelling, or just plain not bothering.
Some is poor typing, especially common fat finger fumbles like teh one yuo mentioed.
Some is the fact that this board does not allow post edits, which means once you hit Post, its permanent.

I admit to a strong reliance on Google tool bar's spell check button. It spell checks all text you have entered on the current browser page. Now, if I typed slowly and carefully, I wouldn't need it. But then again, I wouldn't have time to post here at that speed!
"How many people have cirrohsis but have no idea how to spell it,,,lol "

CIRRHOSIS is the correct way to spell it.    lol
JodyLyn: You are right on point with your observation.  Ditto for copyman and brown-eyed girl.

Besides the unimportance of spelling correctly on a public forum, the educational elitism expressed by a couple of the members here is worth noting.

Mr Liver
haha Mr. Liver!  You Got Me!  I could be screaming typo! lol   Nahhh,,I really did think the O came before the H so guess I'm one of those misspellers!  
"What the hell does spelling have to do with hep c? and because you can spell and others cant does that make you a better person??? "

Nope... that wasn't the commentary point.

The commentary point was that there are a few posts that are written in a way that almost took precise skill to manipulate the words into improperly spelled items - as if it were a joke.

Some people can spell - and some people cannot. It does NOT make one better than anyone else - the ability to spell.

People who are writing and cannot spell - as long as they get their point across is what is important - not the spelling of the words.

However - the discussion was whether this was a "JOKE" issue ----- the fact that the specific SEX posts were all spelled like:

I kant buhleeve my gurlfriind is syyycho and is gunna gif me bad dizeases.

Those kind of spelling errors almost appear to be done on purpose.

People who spell some words incorrectly - BIG DEAL... so what? Not a problem.

People who aren't great at writing - big deal.

But those who purposefully use the spelling and diction to manipulate or simulate a "problem" and troll forum boards are annoying. That's what this thread is kind of about.

And neither one of you guys are forum trolls whose main goal in life is to toss a hornet into the mix.
You guys are awesome!

Meki
Mr. Liver - egads I love you --- You're too funny. Social pragmatic elitist educatorial mainstay. LMAO!

You're so very interesting to me.

Meki
Honey, ain't no big thing. I'm not the spelling police, it's just that I couldn't resist. It is a very easy word to misspell. I'm glad you have a good sense of humor about it.
Mr Liver
YOU GOT IT!!  I'm so glad to know that someone else shares my perception and yes, that is exactly what this thread is about.  Thank you thank you thank you.

I will refrain from any more commentary on the bizarre postings we get sometimes.  I just get so tired of the intrusion, it's kind of a violation.

Take care,

Willows
Nice to see you. Hope you are doing good. As I am sure you are!! MR. 6mo. post PCR...
Pam