Hepatitis C Community
New Drug

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

New Drug

I understand that there is a new drug in the process of being tested and possibly approved by the FDA for Hep. C. It is a cocktail type drug not intererferon and you take it orally. I also heard it will have a possible 80% cure rate. Can you give me any information on this drug so I can pass it on and talk to my Doctor here in Atlanta about it?
Gilead Announces U.S. FDA Priority Review Designation for Sofosbuvir for the Treatment of Hepatitis C

June 7, 2013 5:21 PM ET

FOSTER CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jun. 7, 2013-- Gilead Sciences, Inc. (Nasdaq: GILD) today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted priority review to the company’s New Drug Application (NDA) for sofosbuvir, a once-daily oral nucleotide analogue inhibitor for the treatment of chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection. The FDA grants priority review status to drug candidates that may offer major advances in treatment over existing options. Gilead filed the
NDA for sofosbuvir on April 8, 2013, and FDA has set a target review date under the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA) of December 8, 2013.
The data submitted in this NDA support the use of sofosbuvir and ribavirin (RBV) as an all-oral therapy for patients with genotype 2 and 3 HCV infection, and for sofosbuvir in combination with RBV and pegylated interferon (peg-IFN) for treatmentnaïve patients with genotype 1, 4, 5 and 6 HCV infection.
The new drug is supposedly going to be released the beginning of 2014. It is an oral drug and I am waiting for it to come out as the Interferon would be too hard on my Colitis.

The new drug has an 80% success rate for people with Hep C genotype 1.
In type 3 it has a 92% success rate.

Here is a "News of The Day" website for Hep C.

http://www.hepatitiscnewdrugresearch.com/
            the post above yours has some info that will tell what drugs will be available for each genotype.  all these trials has many folks confused.  the 92%, i believe was for geno 2.  geno 1 will still have interferon in 2014.