Hepatitis C Community
Nutrition/Weight Loss

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Nutrition/Weight Loss

Does anyone have suggestions for me and Tim141 for food stuff...
he continues to lose weight, 42 lbs since start of tx, for Hep C,
he is at wk 32...
this is becoming a concern for both us. Any suggestions?
I used to drink ensure plus when I lost weight and needed to get nutrients.
Costco is a good place to buy ensure and protein shakes at a pretty good price.  

Peanut butter, donuts, Hagen Daz. :)

Seriously you can make peanut butter shakes with whole milk, also add protein powder.I did better with liquids than solid food.  Good luck guys!!!!
What mzkity suggested was the main thing that kept me on my first treatment as I was also losing to much weight... I felt like a kid in a candy shop after my doctor recommended shakes with protein powder... Hang in there.
Klondike bars?
Adv

I am heading into week 7 and am also loosing, but have now slowed to 1/2 lb a week,  manageable, I hope.
I take about 4,000 mg of vitamin C and 2000 vitamin D, daily and weekly 1000, ml injections of B12, plus daily tabs.
I eat nuts, by handfull,  almond butter with apples, peanut butter on cellery.  Also chocolate (good chocolate) bars with almonds/nuts, full fat ice cream, full fat cheese.  I am trying to stay away from sugars but use honey.  All the foods that I used to crave, but would make me gain weight, Icould eat now, if I could stomach it.
I dont drink pops, instead I drink coconut water and juices, freshly juiced fruit if you have a juicer, and vegies too easier to digest, and lots of healthy vitamins.
Will try this protien shake, with almond or peanut butter, my taste buds are very different, and I feel full with very little quantity, so I try to make any foods going in count calorie wise. The shake sounds good!
Thx, S

I used to buy frozen berries, add ice cream and milk and some whey protein powder..... Made good smoothies.

What Are Protein Powders?

Protein powders come in various forms. The three common ones are whey, soy, and casein protein. “Whey is the most commonly used, because it’s a water-soluble milk protein,” says Peter Horvath, PhD, associate professor in the department of exercise and nutrition sciences at the State University of New York at Buffalo. “It’s also a complete protein, so it’s got all those advantages.” (Complete proteins contain all nine of the amino acids necessary for human dietary needs.) People who are vegan may prefer soy protein, although Horvath notes that its taste is sometimes considered to be more unpleasant, and it doesn’t dissolve as well in water.

Protein powders also come with widely varying price tags. “For the casual athlete who doesn’t have a specific need at a certain time of their training, the cost is not that important,” says Horvath. “So if you’re going to use them, you can get pretty much the same benefit out of the less expensive, more commercially available proteins.

In very specific circumstances, protein powders can be useful. “They’re an easy and convenient source of complete, high-quality protein,” says Carole Conn, PhD, RD, CSFD, associate professor of nutrition at the University of New Mexico. But remember: Most people, even athletes, can also get everything they offer by eating sources of lean protein like meat, fish, chicken, and dairy products.
I drank Boost during treatment but in general had no appetite and couldn't taste food. I lost 18 lbs. in 6 mos. I started watching Food Network and cooking shows to stimulate my appetite and I got hungry and ate more. I think protein powder shakes and smoothies are a good idea but I didn't think of it at the time.
I am amazed at the weight loss, that peanut butter must have really helped me a lot :)
You do have to force yourself to eat, that is for sure.
Hi here is a thread when I had put in posts from others as to what they ate while on tx.  While it is for people on Incivek, nothing wrong with using this, especially with as much weight as Timothy has lost
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Incivik-Triple-Therapy-Need-help--honest-Answers/show/1966449#post_9268451
A friend of mine started me on juicing.  She told me to drink blended fresh fruit in the morning and blended fresh vegs in the evening.  I scoop of whey protein drink.  First off I can't afford everything fresh all the time.  She said I had to do this everyday and nite.  I have been eating a lot of green grapes and oranges and banana and frosted flakes (sometimes whole wheat sqare cereal.  I need to lose weight,  I weigh 179.  I have a fatty liver.  So can I eat ice cream and 2 % milk.  I guess I'm asking anyone that catches my eye about something.  I'm a pork butt. lol)   Bluebird
I wish I could lose weight... I can hardly get off the couch so everything I eat goes to my waist...
hi my hubby was same  he lost over 2 stone in the 24wks of tx hep doc put him on presciption fortisip drinks they helped a bit but he had to force them down because he had no appetite what so ever and everything tasted gross nice to hear when he lives with a head chef !! (think i,ll leave that off my cv). Good luck with rest of tx you doing really great
I lost 15 pounds the first 12 weeks. I'm already a thin person and when I loose 2 pounds you can tell. My PA pushed the high protein low fat solution as most of mine has been muscle mass loss. Most of the above mentioned has been working for me especially the peanut butter and the protein drinks. I haven't really put any weight back on but I have stabilized somewhat by going for these things when I simply have no appetite or interest in food.
I never gained mine back and am still trying to keep weight on. The Boost and other shakes helped during tx. I have to watch my diet w/ cirrhosis and it's hard to put on weight while eating a liver loving diet.
Men may have a higher metabolism than women too. I know he's probably weak. Good luck to you both!! Karen:)