Hepatitis C Community
Oxycontin and liver damage?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Oxycontin and liver damage?

Does anyone know if long term use of Oxycontin for chronic pain can cause toxic hepatitis or medication induced hepatitis????? I have been taking it for 5 years for severe back pain.
Not sure if the oxycontin itself is harmful but I think many pain meds that contain that ingrediant also contain large amounts of acetomyocin (tylenol).In large doses the tylenol part can be bad for the liver. Example are Lortab, vicadin and percocet I think.  Someone will correct that if I am mistaken please
ibuprophen is processed by your kidneys not your liver
Try another tack:
Oxycodone+ibuprofen=Oxycontin
Oxycodone+acetomenophrin=Vicodin, Percocet
Oxycodone+aspirin= Percodan
Pretty sure oxycontin is just time relese Oxycodone with nothing else added. We know that acetomenophrin and ibuprofen are not good for the liver. I have never read that Oxycodone is bad for the liver but it like all opioids is a poision.Cheers
I looked it up in Wikipedia; Oxycontin is Oxycodone using ibuprofen instead of acetomenophrin (sp?) which is what's in Vicodin, or aspirin, which is used in Percodans.  Hope that makes sense...
My hemo/oncol gave me oxycodone when my white count was down and I had severe bone pain. He told me that it is pretty safe for the liver. Of course, everything in moderation!
And to kindly correct the earlier post by Mauilady;  Oxycodone, or time released called Ocycontin, alone do not have anything added.

Combos are done with ibuprofen added - "Combunox" or acetaminophen - "Percocet", etc.  Oxycodone time release "continuous" is marketed as the Oxycontin and has nothing added other than the substances for time release and suspension in making the tablets, etc.
No disrespect, but would you mind explaining your name? For some reason Howard Hughes comes to mind :)

-- Jim
Sorry about that, I guess I can't spell very well.
Oxycontin, as you probably know, is oxycodone, but continuous release, i.e. contin = "continuous".  There is no APAP like hydorocodone combos - Vicodin, Norco, etc.  I have chronic spine problems/pain and my hep doc took me off Norco and on to Oxy to eliminate the APAP toxic potential on the liver.  I then can take a Tylenol pre injection to help prevent some sx.  Oxy has its own sx and potential for dependancy of course.

Hope that clears it up for you - and I certainly can empathize with your back pain suffering.  I am really anxious about tolerating the tx on top of my acute spine pain (in the early weeks and really in much more pain from the Interferon).  But will do my best, I have to.  Regards, G
I'm a liver transplant patient and SVR. I wrecked my motorcycle and was on oxycontin and oxycodone for 4 months and if the transplant team didn't object to it I figure it can't be that hazardous to the liver. Of course, 5 years is quite a long time and I have no idea about proplonged use. Mike
I don't really understand how you could be on it and not know the difference - one is straight up WAY more addictive and powerful which is why it's called HillBilly Heroin.

It's mad addictive.  It's like a LOT of aLOT of oxycodone in one pill compared to a little of it mixed with tylenol in a different pill.

If you have to take it and are already used to taking it then you don't have much choice except to withdrawl (withdrawal) off the med and THAT is hard as I know.

But I'm not sure how you can't know or why you didn't just as a doctor about something this important.
Who are you addressing?  

hygieneguru and I certainly understand the uses and risks entirely.  The question was focused on weather oxycodone (or hydrocodone for that matter) alone is toxic to the liver and cause toxic hepatitis.  My doctors have all said very low risk IF NOT COMBINED WITH APAP or ibuprofen.  I only clarified the "combo" discussion.  

Acute pain is treated regularily with oxycodone and does not automaticaly lead to addiction, particularily when used for severe pain management.  Frankly nygirl, I would never be able to go through tx without controling my pain with narcotics. So what is the better path?  I grant you many, many people abuse these drugs and become severly addicted. But that is not the norm for us with crippling conditions.  Regards, G
sorry for the double post, browser showed error, so hit twice....
Who are you addressing?  

I'm new here althuogh not at all new to HCV...
I'm also nine years post liver transplant, and on low dose treatment also in order to "halt" the low grade 1/6 amount of fibrosis that is present...

I'm also being prescribed oxycodone 5mg x 6 pills daily but I rarely take that much on a daily basis because I'll end up being a "zombie", and never get anything accomplished so I usually do'nt take anymore than 3 daily for pain.

I was on vicodin 750mg x 3 pills daily for over two years but, I thought that it was too long to be on these especially since the amount of acetophetimin in each one, multiplied by 3 made me think about the long term ramifications that might be occurring as a result of all the "Tylenol" found in the Vicodin...
So I asked my PCP for an alternative and oxycodone is what he prescribed... Now I feel a lot better as far as the 'tightness' I felt sometimes while on the vicodin.

Not to go off track but, I read a post or two here on this forum from a person named "MikeSimon" who also had a liver transplant!!! Is it 5 years for you???

Wow!!! Now I do'nt feel so alone in "cyberspace"!!!

This site was suggested to me by a moderator on another HCV forum and I'm glad that I took him up on checking this forum out!!!

Nice to meet you'all!!!

Resepctfully,
Hanklive-Lives for Today and Tomorrow!!!

Nice to meet you'all!!!

Resepctfully,
Sorry about that!!
I posted twice by accident!!!
I got an error message after the first time I pressed the button so I decided to press the button again...
Then it hit me! why do'nt I see if the post made it on the thread, and it did - YAY!!!

I guess that I can disregard that error message right after I post from now on!

Respectfully,
Hi I am new here...was diagnosed with HCV almost 2 years ago...I have been tryin to find something for my back pain.I have a collapsed disc, arthiritis through my spine to where surgery is not an option,and nerve damage (due to a car wreck) One doctor gave me percocet...thats not good for the liver...but percodan is asprin based...what I am wondering ,would that be a better pain reliever? Some days are so long because of the pain,I just want to feel as close to normal as I can. Thanks if anyone can help ..
I feel for everyone who has to deal with back pain for the rest of their lives. I had 2 discectomys and a neck fusion. The only thing that helps with pain is good old OXY. I am taking 3-4 a day. Not sure if this may be to much to intake but it works better than anything else.

I have hep c and have been taking oxycodone HCL 30mg for some time due to a severe injury i sustained in afganastan is this harmful to my liver. i don't know what i would do with out pain meds i can't work in with out it because of the physical nature of my job plus all of the other things in my life that i enjoy like exercise playing with my children with the pain i experiance i could not do these things and they are really the fruit of my life can som one please help by telling me is this medication putting my iver at risk? (sorry about the punctuation this was typed in a hurry)
I did a lot of reading on the various pain meds due to my spinal cord injury.
I cannot garden, drive, or do much or anything without help, and the cord is permanently bent and inoperable.

what I discovered was that oxy was the lesser of evils. Before going on it I was on tramadol and my alt/ast was double what it is now...I got a 50% reduction just from switching to the oxy.

however, I opter not to do the time release, because then you get it even when you don't need it...and I've discovered that over time my body has adjusted to the injury and healed somewhat...and so there are times I need very little and even some days that none is nessessary.

I have a 5 minute rule...ignor pain for 5 minutes before reaching for a pill...often the body will make enough endorphins to more than cover you if you give it a few minutes..
then also, I get 5 mg. oxy tabs, which I cut in half. (the 10 mg. tabs don't cut well so I get 2 5 mg a day instead.)
these I cut in half and only take a half tab at a time....you'd be surprised how doing it this way you may be able to keep your consumption down and keep from developing a dependance issue. Also, the less you take the better it is for your liver and heart...
of course, if pain is severe, then it is better to medicate because extreme pain will stress the system...the trick is to use the least amount of the best med.
Don't use any aspirin or tylenol products, they won't cut severe pain, they will tax the system far more. You could try an occasional ibuprofen, but not often as this causes liver inflammation....in fact, every drug does some damage...but between the synthetic pain killers and the oxy, a poppy derivative equivalent, the oxy appeared safer in studies...I used pubmed as my info source.
have fun with your kids!!!!!!

mb
May I add, take a stool softener with these pain meds, or take Citrucel and lots of water.
definitely use a stool softener especially if your not used to taking pain meds.  Oxycontin is broken down in the liver so yes it does affect the liver, and in large doses over a prolonged period of time, it will cause damage.  Im talking about 240 mg daily for 5 years plus.  So the high dose and time will definitely affect your liver, since oxycontin is broken down in the liver.  I'll go off on a limb here, but some people find pain relief by using marijuana.  If your worried about your lungs you'll be happy to know that studies show that marijuana smoke has not been proven to cause damage to the lungs, marijuana actually has anti-carcinogens in it's smoke.  Anyhow, pot is probably the safest pain medication, but it doesn't work for everyone.  I use it to treat extreme soreness afte jogging 5 miles or more or after strenuous exercise. My resting heart rate is 45 bpm, and I've been using pot for over 20 years for soreness, I don't like pills cause most if not all pills either negatively affect your liver, kidney or heart.  marijuana is not a poison, you can't o.d. on pot.  So those are my two cents.  Plus marijuana doesn't cause constipation.  
You did 240mg of oxy for 5 years and also smoked pot for 20 years,you one tough cookie,isnt this enuff oxy to get you a full fledged physical and mental addiction?
I think he was saying if someone took that amount for that long they could cause damage to their liver!
"Im talking about 240 mg daily for 5 years plus"

i misunderstood this statement,,sorry..thanx for the heads up
Asking any person who may have knowledge if Oxycodone and the likes can cause Graves disease and bad personality changes? A wife who cares..please help.
I researched it pretty extensively as I wanted off everything...
unfortunately I have electricution type pains from spinal cord injury, which mean sometimes just standing can make me scream outloud uncontrollably, so I have to take something to be able to move or go places.
The oxy is less harsh to the liver than all the alternatives. The alternatives have issues with toxicity or blood pressure or gastric bleeding which LD patients are in danger of.
I don not recommend the time release as you may end up on too much....take pills, I half and quarter mine.  The less you can get by on the better.
Oxy can effect heart and respiration and should be used very judiciuosly with or without LD.
I know this is an old thread, and I usually never bash or criticize people's comments. But many of you need to do some research before trying to give advice to others seeking pain medication information. Misguiding information, and not to mention poor spelling and grammar, can ultimately cause harm or worse. I'm referring to the posts made in 2006. Oxycontin doesn't contain ibuprofen, and if you're going to specify acetaminophen, at least identify the correct med it is compounded with. I'm not a doctor yet, but I feel obligated to justify the ignorant b.s. excuse for prescription medication advice some people believe is worthy enough to put someone else's life in danger by answering blindly.

-BSOM student
nearly 3 months ago i donated part my liver to my mom.
The pain was not all to bad but having to stay at home
and not really move to much for 3 months was the hard part since i get a kick out of sports.
The first month i took 1-2 30 mg oxycotin a day, then started tapering down
and switched to 10 mg oxycodon and now i am at 5 mg.
i have been taking narco for a few years, few months on and a few off ,
I never had a problem stopping though. Now i suddenly fell into a depression for at least 2 weeks.
Anybody has a tip for what to do best against the depression and if little amounts of oxy can hurts my liver
right after surgery? The blood tests came back positive.

now my doctor suggested that i go on suboxone for a few months, but says it costs at least 3000$ a months.
i dont know if i really need that ?

thanks and good luck to all
sorry for my bad spelling,  i am european.
I was watching a TV show today about addictions w/Oxycontin.  Those people give good people living with pain a bad name.  I have Hep C and have been taking Oxycontin for the last two years due to degenerative disc disease, sciatica and bone spurs.  It *****.  I hate taking pills every day and will for the rest of my life.  I dream of one day moving to a state where I can obtain a prescription for medical marijuana and use my disability (which I'm currently fighting for due to my age of 40) to pay for it and for my rent.  Anyone who thinks that those of us with legitimate reasons enjoy ingesting pain med's daily- can (do something that will probably have my post removed).  Shame on those for being so judgmental and jumping to conclusions- because we live with the stigma that society and doctors put on us already.  We are well aware of what abusers do and can become- but we, the unfortunate few, are sincerely concerned about what we put in our bodies- which is why the original poster asked this question.  From what I understand, Oxycontin and Oxycone are safer than Percocet and aspirin.
The bottom line is take a product free of tylenol. All morphine derivatives are addicting and should only be taken as prescribed with a physician monitoring you. Someone mentioned the term hillbilly heroin. Heroin is the purest form of opium and is highly addictive. So called hillbilly heroin is oxycontin crushed then injected or snorted. Obviously, the route you choose has an effect on developing dependency. Avoid abusing all medications. For those with back pain I would suggest a muscle relaxant such as Valium or another benzodiazapines  may help. Liver toxicity isn not present with benzodiazapines. So let's hope telapravir or boceprevir are approved soon.
"The bottom line is take a product free of Tylenol "

Tylenol  is the brand name for the drug  acetaminophen  and from everything I have ever read it is safe for  those of us with HCV  as long as taken within  proper dosing guidelines.

It was what was recommendd to me by two leading Hepa"s to take if I needed  to during tx.

WILL
Can't take that crap - makes me puke.
Trinity:  thats not fun.:)
Heck no will.  Had a couple of surgeries this year and at different times was given hydrocodone, Demerol and I think some percs.  I was actually looking forward to the buzz because I don't drink and don't even take Tylenol unless I have too.  Puked every time so it was only fun for a short while.  

I have chronic pain and live with it every day.  I talking some serious issues.  With my back problems I'd be a pain clinics dream but I won't do it.  Don't want the addiction  or the puke factor.

Trin
Trinity:   What about  marijuana  as  was just asked about.....have you tried it for the pain??

WILL
I used to be stoner but got too old and all it does it make me paranoid now.  I ended up hiding somewhere with this cheezy grin on my face.  I hate old age!

Now your just Dominatrix Trin......

Candyman
Yeah  the old age thing  takes some of the fun out  of it to be sure! Paranoid,grinning and hiding...but no pain...hmm..  could be ok!  Good luck

" Had a couple of surgeries this year and at different times was given hydrocodone, Demerol and I think some percs.

I know a needy man. I will PM his address to you. It will probably do your Karma some good.
hello....i see ur post was a long time ago...hope this gets to u. hope u r well. my husband has cirrhosis...wondering what ur journey has been...the same?
would love to learn from ur experiences if possible.

my e-mail is   ***@****
my name is eileen
no oxycodone and hydrocodone are not the same thing while very similar chemically they still are not the same so oxycodone + acetaminophen does not = vicodin percocet yes but not vicodin. also oxycontin does not contain any nsaid or other types of anti inflamatories it is simply time released oxycodone.
I feel for you.  I have a similar problem and never got true relief until my Doctor put me on Oxycontin.  He started me on a low dose (10mg every 12 hours).  Checked with me every month.  It finally took 30mg to take care of most of the pain.  The medicine is safe to use as long as you swallow it whole (no broken pieces).  You want the lowest dose possible to give yourself room to move up down the road due to tolerance.  If you take more than prescribed you will become more tolerant to the pain relieving aspects much sooner than you would normally..  Also, you run a higher risk of addiction if you take more than prescribed.  I finally got my life back to some extent, but am still not able to do much.  At least I can sleep at night now without being in unbearable pain!
I was Oxycontin and Oxycodone for 4 years for a botched up surgery, 6 months ago I was diagnosed with a hot Gall bladder,Liver cancer and Pancreatic cancer. So I believe somthing caused it. I have never been a drinker so be carefull. pduff
They give liver transplant patients Oxy right out of the gate.  It's least damaging thing and it works.
Oxycodone + Ibuprofen = combunox

Oxycotin is a brand name.
While oxycodone contains tylenol, oxycontin does not. I'm actually dealing right now with liver damage from Vicodin/oxycodone. Don't take Tylenol or anything that contains it if you can avoid it. It's very, very liver toxic.
This is not Ibuprofen, it's acetaminophen and any doctor will tell you, you'd be hard pressed to find a drug harder on your liver.
I agree I have severe spine issues and am on the trial for sofosbuvir and gs 5816. He told me the oxycodone is not an issue with the trial. The main thing is no tums and no prolisec or nexium. The medication works with gastric juices. I have been on oxycodone for 3 yrs. They had me up to 60 mg a day and on my own brought it down to 30 mg a day. Once I get thru the trial then I am going to work on my spine issues.
Easy to say take marijuana , its not legal where I live and many other places. I have no choice but to take the oxycodone . If I don't I'm not able to function. Even with that I can't drive and limited in many ways.
your wrong oxycodone doesn't . geesh
My transplant hepatologist told me to take Tylenol, no more than 2000 mg a day, only if needed and to stay completely away from ibuprofen. I do have cirrhosis. I point blank asked them and that is the answer I got.