Hepatitis C Community
Pain Meds

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Pain Meds

During treatment, did anyone have to take a pain medicine in order to eleviate the aches, pains, migranes (migraines),,,,,?  Did anyone take an anti-nausseau medicines when the boat did not stop rocking?

oh gosh YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
shall i go on.......
pain managment is ESSENTIAL during treatment....as for nauesa i suffer almost all the time from it...and did take gravol for it at first but discovered it put me on my ass.....so am taking something else now, milder......hummmm...wait, i'll go get it so you have the name....

it's called ....holy jumpin, hang on, this is a long one

PMS PROCHLORPERAZINE.....10mg.

also, seems everyone just about aggrees the best thing, naturally for nausea...is ginger!!!
hope this helps
cheers
My legs ache from time to time and the heating pad seems to help; sometimes I'll take a couple tylenol.  The headaches can get bad for me.  I've tried several different things and am now taking Imitrex for migraines.  Seems to be working.... this is my 3rd wk using the Imitrex.  I take one a couple hrs after my shot (#12/48 yesterday) which seems to stop any headache that is coming on.
.. I think my headaches caused most of my nausea so that has let up as well.  But, when I do feel nausea, I just drink some ginger ale and that seems to help.
.. Talk to your dr about what you can do.  No since having the nausea or headaches for sure.  At least you can get rid of some of the pain and discomfort, even if you can't get rid of all of it.

Good luck.
I was prescribed Elivil (amitriptyline) a couple of weeks before I started my treatment. I am on week 35 out of 48 weeks.  I haven't had too many aches and pains and I believe that by taken the Elivil that it has assisted me very well in order to deal with my treatment meds and ups and downs.
Elivil is an old AD that doctors prescribe for various reasons including depression, weight loss disorders, and used for pain management/pain blocker.

Ask your doctor about it and see what he says. It has worked very well for me.
Vicodin for liver pain, GingerTrips for nausea
ha LIVER PAIN.....the liver CAN'T have pain as there are no pain senser things...or what ever there called, the liver has no ...come on, help me out here, whats the word.....anyway...YOU CAN NOT FEEL PAIN from the liver.....or IN the liver...or ON the liver....you get the idea...
I keep hearing that, but I still don't believe it. :-)
ha ha "dingy" i like that....no truely, THEY say that.....but you just HAVE to wonder if someone actually laid down on the operating table...and got cut OPEN and then PROBED the different organs TO SEE WHICH ONES FRIKKEN HURT.....ah...give me pain meds anyway.....just in case!!!!!
Up to 4 500mg Tylonal(2000mg a day).  Smoked pot for depression and nausea.
Oh that makes a lot of sense, cut me open and see if it hurts DUH!!!LOL :-} If you don't believe in liver pain why did you ask Elayne up above if she'd been tested for hep c? Don't confuse me, it's not nice to mess with the mentally handicapped.
"What To Do: Liver Pain
written by Michael Glosenger  (c) 1999

Liver pain, whether imagined or real, is a serious symptom indeed.  Here's what I, with a doctorate in medicine, recommend:

1) Get a fork.  Sterilize it first by washing it with hot water for a few seconds.

2) Get a rag.  Sterilize it first by waving it in the air.  Give it a good 'snap' or two, as if you were going to snap someone in the rump with it.

3) Wipe the fork off with the rag.  You can't be too careful.  Since the rag is already sterilized, it will kill any contaminants on the fork, so no need to resterilize the rag.

4) Stick the fork in your friend's abdomen around where you would suspect the liver would be.

WARNING: Do NOT have your friend do this himself!  He may THINK he can do it accurately, but he is deadly wrong, friend.

5) Once you see the abdominal wall, dig around with your fingers until you spot what must be the liver.  Inspect it for damage.  You can tell a damaged liver by the little worker cells running around trying to fix it.  Alas, they need help.

6) If damage is spotted, pour a heaping helping of Bailey's Irish Creme over the liver.  The Irish Creme contains vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, each of which plays a vital role in helping your friend's worker cells work properly.  If no damage is spotted, go to step 7.

7) Close him up.  Dental floss will work fine for this, but make sure it is utterly uncoated!  You don't want an infection.

Hope this helps.  Oh, and if anyone actually tries this, I'm not liable, by virtue of this very sentence."  

I found this here:
http://www.jollython.com/lit/wtdclp.html
ha ha ha....oh gimmie a break will yah......what makes you think i have ANY FRIKKEN IDEA about what the hell i'm talking about anyway....its not nice to mess with....ring a ding ****

i was referring to what YOU SAID ANYWAYS..... trying to cover yer back darlin....what with all that...."i'm not so sure that the liver DOESN'T  feel p-ain"  and all...tee heee

kiss kiss...nicey nice!!

i'm sure i have several personality disorders i could call on at any given moment anyway.....so you see, were kindred spirits whether yah like it or not...ha ha
Pain, discomfort, referred pain - I don't care what you call it but it exists. I've had it and it was not my imagination running away with me. I've heard and read the same stuff but feeling is believing and I'm a believer. Mike
ha that is GREAT!!....love it...
OKAY, NOW YOUR ALL GIVING ME A PAIN IN THE FRIKKEN LIVER!!!!!!

lets just coin a new phrase right here and now...instead of "pain in the ass"

IT'S...PAIN IN THE LIVER!!!!!
I concur with the personality disorders. Mike
WAS THAT AN INSULT????....cause yah know there hasn't been a brawl here all day......ha....THAT could change!!...it is early after all
I'm with Mike
But the question now is...."Is that a Bad thing"?
Kindred spirits? Are you trying to say you're retarded too? haha
TISK....WELL....DUH....YAH!!!!!!!

indy.....YAH IF YOU WANT YOUR BUTT KICKED!!!!!

ha ha......just.......not really.............KIDDING

If the liver feels nothing how come my ******* puckered so hard when they snapped that piece of liver away during bx.
On the other hand during my vasectomy as they pulled those things out to cut I felt it pull in my throat.

Bizarro Bill
yah she's a pretty funny, guttsy kid...well okay...young women...oh just can't get used to NOT calling her 'KID'

Okay I need to know if the pot smoking helped and if there is anything that might suggest that by smoking pot you hurt your cahnces at SVR.  Of course people will agrue "don't do it" but until you have lived with these sides yourself you can't really say anything.  I believe that we all are ready to try just about anything to help ourselves.
Starla
This is what I have heard and have had explained to me. Although the liver itself does not pain you or give you discomfort, if it is inflammed enough it will press on the surrounding organs and that is the pain you are feeling. Makes no difference in my eyes, pain is pain and I want it gone!
I haven't smoked pot in over 9 years myself and would have no idea where or how to get it either.  I wasn't thinking that far ahead when I asked if it helps or if it hurts our treatment.  However I met it does help with the sides and it might even help me to eat again.  I haven't been able to eat anything like I used to before tx.  I have lost over 30lbs since late Sept. I need new clothes, have had my rings resized and just look very sickly at a whole 102lbs. But again I would have to agree that if I were to smoke ever again it would have to be out of my closet too.
Starla
I took vicodin for pain during tx. As for the nausea I smoked a little pot here @ there. I didn't know where to get it, so I had to get my daughters looking till they found some. I gained weight during tx. and I was SVR during whole tx. I go in May for my 6 months SVR. None of my doctors ever mentioned the pot to me, so I didn't mention it to them. I would have told them had they asked. Infact my liver doctor told me I was his fastest responder, and what ever I was doin'.....keep it up. I was geno 1a, viral load way up there!!! Much luck and Many Prayers to you and all. Cindee
don't worry you guys....MY DAUGHTER CAN GET ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE!!!!!  ha ha she actually said to me ...if i wanted to try pot instead of gravol for the nausea, she'd..HOOK ME UP!!

gotta love that.....
Well, it sure helped me. And I didn't want to take any other powerful drugs-AD's and me don't get along-and my liver failed so I feel pot is the least toxic alternative.

20-25% of the people in 'W World' smoke it whether its legel, tolerated or heavily penelized.  I'm part of that minority.  I've always lived in med-marijuanna states and now even the USA Supreme Court recognizes its legit med use.

I'll tell you, a place such as Amsterdam where marijuanna use is tolerated the same as beer is almost like a dream. And there seems to be less abuse of either.

Everyone gets high in their own little way.

There has been a limited study that showed that pot smokers had a higher SVR rte than non-pot smokers.  And there is nothing to show its harmful.

I like to mention it b/c some people are comfortable w/using it anyway.  And some younger heppers might not know its ok to use marijuanna in a 'good' way.
The hours leading up to the varicies bleeding and liver failure, my liver felt like it was breaking in 2.  I didn't know what it was, b/c I thought the liver doesn't feel pain.  Well, it does.
There has been a limited study that showed that pot smokers had a higher SVR rte than non-pot smokers. And there is nothing to show its harmful

The study you are referring to was conducted with active injection drug users.  Those who used pot were able to curtail their injection drug use and faired better than those who did not.  There are no studies I know of conducted with the general population of HCV patients.

Medipot certainly may be good for some but for others struggling with addiction issues medipot use may trigger other destructive behaviors.  

look at this site.  this is a *.pdf file which can be read with free acrobat reader.
Treating HCV in substance abusers
http://www.projectsinknowledge.com/Init/G/1599/1599-TxReporter3.pdf

regards.
BobK
I was on TX for 6 months and smoked a little weed the last month.  I wished I had started sooner.  I'm not saying go out and buy a bag, but it really helped me sleep at might and my mood were alot better.  I smoked before TX and quit 3 months before I started TX.  My mom who is a strict christian told me to try a little weed, because the bible states to use the plants and the seeds.  Sure shocked the shi* out of me to hear that coming from my mom.

Everyone has to find their way on TX, I didn't suffer from depression, nausa, our weihgt loss, however the insommia made me crazy.  Pot helped me.

Deb

MORE fluids to those of you suffering from headaches....Headaches can be caused due to dehydration.
Happy New Year all!

I'm in California and my brother told me that I could get medicinal medicine prescribed by my doc.  I haven't checked it out yet but when I asked him what if the doc doesn't approve, he said that a cannibus club or the American Medical Marijuana Assoc., would hook you up with a doc that would prescribe.  These can be found on the internet I'm told.  That would take the worry out of who to ask to try and find it illegally, although I would bet it is going to be more expensive, maybe the prescription and then the easier cheaper way?

If anyone checks into this before me, please let me know.\
Thanks, Robin
AH DARLIN, ALL I HAD TO DO WAS PHONE YOU AND MAKE YOU LAUGH....AS WELL AS MAKE SURE YOU LOOKED EVERYWHERE FOR ONE MORE PAIN KILLER....EVEN IN BETWEEN THE CUSHIONS ON THE COUCH.....YOU KNOW THE ONES WITH FUR ATTACHED BY AN OLD PEICE OF CANDY........HA HA....JUST KIDDING, I AM SOOOOOO PROUD OF YOU....COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE!!!!!!
big hugs
kimmy

PS OKAY ALREADY......MY LIVER HURTS!!!!!!!!ALOT
I recall when I had my liver bx they insisted that they'd give me plenty of lidocaine injections in the area to numb any pain.  My response was, "but you don't inject lidocaine directly into the liver, only the surrounding area, and it's the liver I'm freaked out about you stickin."  Of course, they agreed that they could only numb the surrounding area, and I complained several times, and each time they injected more lidocaine.

Well, in the end, I didn't feel the bx at all.  Only a tiny bit of pressure, but no pain.  It confirmed to me that so long as the surrounding area was numb, that the liver itself doesn't feel pain because there was no lidocaine injected into my liver.

Having said that, I get pain in the area and twinges quite often.  I wonder now if these are more a result of biliary ducts and other functional parts of the liver being affected and responding due to the hcv, rather than as pain occurring in the liver per se.

My own experience with bx tells me that the liver feels no pain, and yet I feel something in the area almost daily.  Perhaps the issue of whether or not the liver feels pain is something that is quite subjective, and a more objective view would require clarification in defining the liver per se as well as the various parts and processes involved in the functioning of it, which may in fact cause pain in or around the area.

In short, I have to agree with both sides:  That the liver has no pain sensors and can't feel pain, but WE can feel pain from the area of the liver.  

Befuddled,
Here is just a beginning, but they are right there is a vast resource of this information on the internet.  How about starting here?

http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/resources.htm

Your Friend,  Robin
I have had 3 liver biopsies, each by a different doc. The first 2 were pretty painful, so I was prepared for the worst when I had the third one.  I fussed a lot beforehand, anticipating the pain.

Well, doc #3 is amazing with that needle.  There was not even a TWINGE of pain, and I was totally embarrased at the fuss I made.

I think of him as "have biopsy needle, will travel"