Hepatitis C Community
Pain in liver area

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Pain in liver area

I would have a question about almost constant mild pain/pressure in my liver area. I know most people think it is normal but it is becoming annoying and was wondering if there are any natural substances anyone can recommend. I will not take alleve etc. for fear of long term consequences. My liver funct. ultrasound are normal, stage 0 fibroscan.  20 mill. viral load as of 3 month ago.
All input is appreciated.
LLN
Have you started tx yet? I'm to much of a lay-man to answer technically but there are some awfully smart people here to help.

Goodluck
DJ

Goodluck
DJ
i have the pain.  on and off for years.  even now, with svr, i still have the pain.  been told it is the liver healing, swelling, pain is in my head.....a thousand different answeres.  
No I have not started tx yet.
Did you take anything for the pain - I find that funny "pain is in my head - the right head - right?" Nothing on the left head side (lol).
Thanks for your input - glad you cleared!
The liver pain or discomfort is caused by the liver swelling and distending the capsule or sheathe that surrounds the liver. It is not the liver itself that hurts or feels pain - it is the stretching of the Glisson's Capsule that causes the pain or discomfort. I have never seen anything which suggests that healing of the liver causes pain or discomfort.

Mike
Thanks for your input - it is really not that bad just annoying.
LLN
If I were you I would ask my doc for an ultrasound of gallbladder, perhaps this discomfort you are feeling could be due to gallstones.
"ultrasound are normal, stage 0 fibroscan".
Did your doctor say that you have inflammation of the liver? What are your ALT and AST levels.
If your ultrasound is normal (the ultrasound would show if your liver was enlarged or any other abdominal organs were abnormal) you should feel no discomfort in the area of your liver.

See your doctor if it is a concern. She or he can palpate your liver to confirm size, tenderness etc.

Hectorsf
Thanks, my ultrasnd was all normal for all organs - some mild liver enlargement - ALT is 18 AST is 24.
I sometimes think it feels like my colon is distended after eating and I do have tendency for gas what eating 'HEALTHY" like raw foods, onion, garlic, salads. I am trying to stick to these though as I know they are better than junk. I recently had to stop drinking coffee - terrible pain caused by it.
I will just keep on experimenting with different foods but all input is appreciated.
The liver pain I described and experienced is not a sharp pain. It is more of a dull ache or discomfort. If you had terrible pain in the same area after drinking coffee then it may not be liver pain - at least as I know it. And your enzymes don't suggest significant inflammation.
I agree with Hector - see your doctor about this.l

Good luck,
Mike
Thanks for your input Mike. I did ask the dr. and she said she does not know as all looks ok. I am still thinking it is colon related - especially being sensitive to certain things and can easily develop into food allergies. I have done my own muscle testing (kinesiology) with the help of my husband and have been totally amazed what I am senitive to.Yes, the pain is dull ache and more of a pressure. Well - I guess I just have to put up with it and try to rotatate my foods as much as possible.
All the best,
LLN