Painkillers and liver disease
I'm wondering what is an effective painkiller that is safe to take for liver disease. My pharmacy suggested Tramadol. What say you people ?
Honestly I don't take much of anything except an occassional tylenol or advil - everything is really toxic to the liver since it has to process it and the less you put in the better.

Of course that said I DO take ambien and paxill every day now so it's like being a real hypocrite!

SJL
I take Advil for the inflammation every day, probably 6-8, and tylenol when I have a headache.Your Doctor can also give you scripts for pain, don't hesitate to ask.
Advil and Tylenol here.  When the pain from treatment gets real bad, I will take a hydrocodone or something mild like that.
I take advil and occasionally I take a vicoprofen for pain (I have chronic neck pain due to fused vertabraes). Vicoprofen is the same as hydrocodone but with ibuprofen instead of acetaminaphin-less harsh and your liver.
Please be very careful about pain meds though. My dad has HCV and was unable to do tx due to side effects. He has terrible pain in his back due to a slipped disc and his doctor prescribed him hydrocodone. He was taking one every 4 hours and was admittted to the hospital last week b/c his liver was so inflammed and hurting. He is now on vicoprofen. Please just be very careful nd put as little strain on your liver as posssible.
how much tylenol was your father taking daily?? how advanced is his liver damage&dsease?....was he taking or useing anything else?alcohol??? any insights would be appreciated-thanks
i thought ibuprofen was bad for us..is it?

I am not positive of this; but I am to understand that ibueporfen of any kind is not the best on your liver.  Yes, it gets ride of inflamations in your body; but it is also hard for your LIVER.  I was told by my doctor that Tylenol is what I should take and stay away from the other if at all possible.  

Hydrocodone-  When I had a neck surgery for herniated disc C5-C6.  I was given this for pain.  This medication really inflamed my liver.  I believe that this drug started my inflamation and damage process.  I was okay in those areas until a long term of taking this medication.

THE KEY IN ANYTHING REGARDING YOUR LIVER IS:

MODERATION...........MODERATION...........MODERATION............

I would check with my doctor and ask some serious questions about what he will be giving you for pain.  There are many that are serious to your liver and some can do damage if you exceed moderation.  So, question, question, question that doctor.

Just my observations.

cajun
I just got back from my GI who never told me to quit any of the scripts i was taking at the time.  I asked again today, I told him I could live without concerta,  but not pain meds.  He said not a problem.  Said its best not to take meds you can do without. I was freaking out about taking codeine for back, neck and migraines. He didn't have a problem...so far my numbers are going down.
Hey. My father has had hcv for 30 years. I think he was taking 10mg lotatabs every 4 hours. I think, I ask to be sure. His last biopsy was several yeasr ago I'm not sure what stage. He goes to doc today they will probably do another biopsy. He had done tx years ago but he couldnt handle side effects. They want to try him again htough. Dont know yet if he's going to do it. He used to drink a bit but not any more. I'll find out more specific info and get back to you.
I was wondering if there is more pain meds like shots, patches,ect...Iam a long time user of percect,fentinylpatch,layrica,soma and clonipine amitriptiline,and a shot of visteral and dilodide and torteral for migraines.
I have fibermialgia,2 back and neck surgeries.and nruropathy and arthritise.
not i have liver failer going on ,can any one tell me a simple pain med a can still use  only one or tooo ,or a patch or shot over a pill?
It would be much greatful for a solution.
thank you ***@****
PLEASE DON'T TAKE THE FENTINYL PATCHES....MY SISTER IS ONE WHO GOT THE DEFECTIVE PATCH AND DIED AT AGE 50....I HAVE CHRONIC BACK PAIN AND I WON'T TOUCH THOSE...TRUST ME YOUR LOVED ONES DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOU...
Ibuprophen is very bad for the kidney's, I know this for a fact as our best friend is now in a nursing home dying due to continueous use of this drug for 8 or 9 years.  He was taking it everyday for aches and pains and had no idea it could be bad for him.  He staarted getting foam in his urine and alot of other symptoms.  He had no insurance so didn't get to the dr until he developed swelling in his legs that caused open sores to develope!  It was horrible as the sores were ozing fluids out constantly as his kidneys couldn't handle anything due to the damage from the ibuprophen.  Not many people know of this problem with this drug, but I have seen it with my own eyes and talked to kidney dr's about it.  So be very careful with the use of this drug, can be deadly!