Hepatitis C Community
Pancreas and Kidney Questions

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Pancreas and Kidney Questions

Hi, my Nan just recently found out that her pancreas has "dried up", or is basically on it's way out. ..I know you can live without one, but, there's a high risk you can become diabetic due to it. The only thing is; She already suffers from diabetes as well as other things, and I was wondering how it would affect her..?

Also, her kidney's are in really bad condition, and I was wondering if it were possible that I gave her one of mine? I understand that I'd have to undergo tests and what-have-you, but, I just wish to know if it'd be safe for someone of my age's (18) kidney to go into my nan's? (If it's a match, of course)And what the risks would be.

And, one final question; Is there such thing as a pancreas transplant? I've never heard of such a thing before, but would be willing if possible..

I'm sorry if this seems trivial and a lot to answer, but my mind won't rest until I find out if there's any way I can help her..

Thank you so much for your time, and all the best~
I might be wrong but I don't think you can live without a pancreas. Not even a little bit.

A heart either.
ps you can get a pancreas transplant I think.

Sorry I don't know too much about them at all.
I found you this answer from a doctor-

I appreciate your question which is both straightforward but complex. Yes, you can live without a pancreas although you would prefer not to. Living without a pancreas is not like living without a gallbladder or appendix or even spleen.

A person without a pancreas will be diabetic and will have to take insulin. That
Avatar n tn
Thank you dearly for your help, but, that's the same exact answer that led me to this place/had me wondering what the effects of already being diabetic would be to begin with..

Once again; I really appreciate you taking your time to help sweetie. *hugs*
Dee1956 commented on photo
Dee1956 commented on meegWpaw's status
Dee1956 uploaded a new photo
Track your weight over time